What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bears relocation list..

jim_57

Staff member
They had two chances to tie up a license and messed both

I thought you meant PNG and Perth will get nothing. Yehp Bears will have next to no chance of getting a “Pacifika” license now, you’d have to imagine at this stage if PNG is going to be next as rumoured they’d already be deep in to discussions with the PNG government backed bid.

Typical Bears to try and swoop in though. They could ditch all parts of this bid except for the NZ part and go for a NZ2 license, but they won’t.

Wb1234

Referee
I thought you meant PNG and Perth will get nothing. Yehp Bears will have next to no chance of getting a “Pacifika” license now, you’d have to imagine at this stage if PNG is going to be next as rumoured they’d already be deep in to discussions with the PNG government backed bid.

Typical Bears to try and swoop in though. They could ditch all parts of this bid except for the NZ part and go for a NZ2 license, but they won’t.
Perth brushed them too imo

blue bags

First Grade
North Sydney oval. Is used by the AFL women's team. Sydney Swans women
And they had a massive crowd the other week
Nearly sold out I believe

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bears interview

North Sydney Bears are back in the news for their semi-annual NRL expansion push, and chairman Daniel Dickson explains why they’re convinced they can be the eighteenth team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The North Sydney Bears have launched a new audacious bid that would encompass the Pacific Islands as they look for a return to elite rugby league.

While the Bears have an established present as a feeder team in the NSW Cup - next year that will be with the Melbourne Storm after their agreement with the Sydney Roosters concluded - they haven't played top-tier rugby league in decades.

The Bears have, however, been involved in numerous expansion proposals over that time, most notably the recent push to partner with a Perth bid, with games then to be split between North Sydney Oval and the west.

While that may look unlikely of getting off the ground, it is still reportedly being proposed as a back-up option for the proud club to return to the NRL.

Instead, they are now looking to utilise the expansion of rugby league in the Pacific Islands, with the Daily Telegraph reporting that their new bid, which will be handed to the NRL in the coming weeks, will encompass the entire pacific region with pathways and games.

It's understood the club could even be called the Pacific Bears, basing themselves out of Sydney with a chunk of home games at North Sydney Oval.

“We would love to incorporate the Pacific and we are absolutely passionate about embracing some of those territories that would do very well with what the Bears have to offer,” Bears chairman Daniel Dickson told the publication.

“We will put forward our proposal in the coming weeks. The Bears would very much embrace those rugby league heartlands and hope we could be part of the NRL's expansion plans.”

That comes with the NRL currently believed to be favouring a financially sound bid from Papua New Guinea, which is backed by the Australian Federal Government.

While a $5 million pledge was made originally, it's now believed the Papua New Guineabid to become the 18th NRL team could be part of a wider $600 million plan from the government, promising $60 million into sport and economic development in the nation for each of the next ten years.

It comes with the Australian government looking to ward off any threat of China gaining the island nation's support politically.

The NRL is expected to confirm an 18th team sooner rather than later, with CEO Andrew Ando and the Australian Rugby League Commission, led by Peter V'Landys, desperate to end the bye as soon as possible and add a ninth game per week, increasing the TV dollars available to the code in their broadcast contract moving forward.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of Australia's oldest rugby league clubs has launched yet another audacious bid to re-enter the NRL.

The North Sydney Bears are preparing documents which will be sent to head office within the fortnight, outlining why they are ready to re-join the top league.

While Bears chairman Daniel Dickson wants to remain based in Sydney and have the famous moniker attached to the new NRL team, his plan is to align the foundation club with Pacific nations.
Papua New Guinea has been floated as the focal point for the NRL's next expansion team, but Dickson is keen to include Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, and Fiji in what would essentially be a Pacific Bears outfit.

The Bears haven't been an NRL club since 1999, but remain in the NSW Cup and have launched several bids to re-enter the top league since their demotion.
"The one thing the game wants is history and heritage, and we deliver that in spades," Dickson told 2GB's Wide World of Sports radio this week.

"I think it's important to know that we would be embracing any cultures that we're working with there.

"The amount of talent coming out of those spaces, they need a pathway, and we are a proven pathway for a very long time.

"You can't just pick up 115 years of football and hope to start a club tomorrow, and we're hoping that's what we're going to bring to the new opportunity."

The Australian government is reportedly willing to invest $600 million on infrastructure and pathways to bring a Pacific team into the top league.

Papua New Guinea already has a team competing in the Queensland Cup, while the rugby league-mad nation's national sides are playing the Pacific Championships currently.

The NRL expanded this year by adding the Dolphins as the competition's 17th team, but the ARLC hopes to increase the draw to 18 before too long, and get even bigger down the track.

"I've got a strong feeling this (expansion) could go from 18 to 20 pretty quickly, and if it does we're just making sure we're ready to go," Dickson said.

"I want people to know we're still here... but the difference now is it is getting closer to introducing a team.

"We just feel like the Bears have to be a part of the franchise moving forward."

The Dolphins won the NRL's last expansion bid, while the Bears and the Brisbane Tigers are outsiders for an 18th licence. A Papua New Guinea outfit, supported by the Australian government, is the leading contender.

MugaB

Coach
One of Australia's oldest rugby league clubs has launched yet another audacious bid to re-enter the NRL.

The North Sydney Bears are preparing documents which will be sent to head office within the fortnight, outlining why they are ready to re-join the top league.

While Bears chairman Daniel Dickson wants to remain based in Sydney and have the famous moniker attached to the new NRL team, his plan is to align the foundation club with Pacific nations.
Papua New Guinea has been floated as the focal point for the NRL's next expansion team, but Dickson is keen to include Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, and Fiji in what would essentially be a Pacific Bears outfit.

The Bears haven't been an NRL club since 1999, but remain in the NSW Cup and have launched several bids to re-enter the top league since their demotion.
"The one thing the game wants is history and heritage, and we deliver that in spades," Dickson told 2GB's Wide World of Sports radio this week.

"I think it's important to know that we would be embracing any cultures that we're working with there.

"The amount of talent coming out of those spaces, they need a pathway, and we are a proven pathway for a very long time.

"You can't just pick up 115 years of football and hope to start a club tomorrow, and we're hoping that's what we're going to bring to the new opportunity."

The Australian government is reportedly willing to invest $600 million on infrastructure and pathways to bring a Pacific team into the top league.

Papua New Guinea already has a team competing in the Queensland Cup, while the rugby league-mad nation's national sides are playing the Pacific Championships currently.

The NRL expanded this year by adding the Dolphins as the competition's 17th team, but the ARLC hopes to increase the draw to 18 before too long, and get even bigger down the track.

"I've got a strong feeling this (expansion) could go from 18 to 20 pretty quickly, and if it does we're just making sure we're ready to go," Dickson said.

"I want people to know we're still here... but the difference now is it is getting closer to introducing a team.

"We just feel like the Bears have to be a part of the franchise moving forward."

The Dolphins won the NRL's last expansion bid, while the Bears and the Brisbane Tigers are outsiders for an 18th licence. A Papua New Guinea outfit, supported by the Australian government, is the leading contender.

This wreaks of the Ipswich/bomber merger last second stuff... quick slap on a pasifika title, and we're in.... with the bears they forget their biggest strength is their brand, but not a city to play in, all they'll need to do is pick Perth or Christchurch or Adelaide, etc and they'll be in, but they are too dumb to accept that they won't be able to play in sydney, so they keep on drumming up this last minute shit and it just comes off tacky and way too late ive been saying all year Png is the fish they want to land, and it looks that way due to a massive govt payment, these bidders need to do better.. i like the thought of the return of the bears, but they need to push a proposal that they are solid with, seems like everytime there is proper expansion news they rock up late and drunk, copying the outline

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Bears willingness to partner up with anyone to get back into the NRL is a red flag. Unprofessional outfit.
Pretty much everyone has been saying since day dot that they only care about getting themselves back in the NRL. They want to own the license so they can increasingly move it all back to NSW. I mean this latest pitch isnt even hiding it anymore! A Pacifika team based in NS makes even less sense than PNG in cairns lol

Wb1234

Referee
Pretty much everyone has been saying since day dot that they only care about getting themselves back in the NRL. They want to own the license so they can increasingly move it all back to NSW. I mean this latest pitch isnt even hiding it anymore! A Pacifika team based in NS makes even less sense than PNG in cairns lol
You and Dane were right

are we going to wait another fifty years for that to repeat ??

MugaB

Coach
Yes they want to own the licence, but i dont see a drift back to a permanent NSW town...
the only way they get one is if they are playing 10 home games in another city, thats just the way the cookie has crumbled for them, they should look to become the 2nd Melbourne side that would get them a licence automatically, and set up a rivalry that the AFL and NRL would be loving (for different reasons of course)

siv

First Grade
I genuinely felt for the Bears when they were forced to merge with Manly, then were cut loose, especially when they were trying to become the Central Coast Bears, giving that area a team, and that nice stadium year-round usage.
And they were put on notice twice to replace clubs about to bust

BuffaloRules

Coach
This wreaks of the Ipswich/bomber merger last second stuff... quick slap on a pasifika title, and we're in.... with the bears they forget their biggest strength is their brand, but not a city to play in, all they'll need to do is pick Perth or Christchurch or Adelaide, etc and they'll be in, but they are too dumb to accept that they won't be able to play in sydney, so they keep on drumming up this last minute shit and it just comes off tacky and way too late ive been saying all year Png is the fish they want to land, and it looks that way due to a massive govt payment, these bidders need to do better.. i like the thought of the return of the bears, but they need to push a proposal that they are solid with, seems like everytime there is proper expansion news they rock up late and drunk, copying the outline
You would think the Bears would be a little bit more humble given their history … guys like Florimo shouldn’t be talking about “non negotiable” terms to offer a potential partner … their bargaining position is weak ..

They should accept that what they have to offer is a name and a few thousand supporters in Sydney …Not the opportunity to move a percentage of games to North Sydney Oval for an expansion team thousand of Kms away … take a trial game there in the preseason. …

I wouldn’t have then join with PNG … let PNG have a name associated with their own country…

Possibly Adelaide down the track … could be a fit for them … but all the games in Adelaide and try and build an identity there

MugaB

Coach
You would think the Bears would be a little bit more humble given their history … guys like Florimo shouldn’t be talking about “non negotiable” terms to offer a potential partner … their bargaining position is weak ..

They should accept that what they have to offer is a name and a few thousand supporters in Sydney …Not the opportunity to move a percentage of games to North Sydney Oval for an expansion team thousand of Kms away … take a trial game there in the preseason. …

I wouldn’t have then join with PNG … let PNG have a name associated with their own country…

Possibly Adelaide down the track … could be a fit for them … but all the games in Adelaide and try and build an identity there
Or like i said...
Screenshot_20231031_122043_Samsung Internet.png
Build a rivalry, they could do a reverse swans, really stick that up afls arse