What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Scott/Matt Prior - try/no try

Prior try, Scott no-try?

• Total voters

Iafeta

Referee
By that definition then I reckon you could see 5-10 tackles a game where a bloke is on the ground and now, like Scott, could turtle over to his back, and pop up a ball similar to a rugby union ruck. The blokes on the ground, he has someone holding onto him, he can't progress any further, common sense suggests thats a tackle.

BM1979

Juniors
Im still trying to figure out where the pass was thrown , it looked to me Prior just took it out of his hands

Iafeta

Referee
Are you f**king blind the second part clearly has control in this instance and can not be argued

A player in possession brought to his knees or
brought to the ground on his back may still pass the ball – provided
he has not made it evident that he has succumbed to the tackle. He
should not be wrongly penalised otherwise all players will become
reluctant to pass the ball as the tackle nears completion in case they too are penalised

Scott on his back and obvioulsy not succumbing to the tackle read the whole piece

can you read

Who died and made you forum cop? Why is this an important issue to you that you're taking that approach in your posts? Did you have a cool fiddy riding on it? Calm down knob-jockey.

I would say no try purely because he was on the ground and his momentum had been halted therefore the tackle is complete. Was probably a poor decision.

Rodent

Bench
Im still trying to figure out where the pass was thrown , it looked to me Prior just took it out of his hands
A hand off is still a pass. Scott clearly presented the ball to Prior. It's not as if Prior burrowed in there to pull it out like in union.

aussie7798

First Grade
Who died and made you forum cop? Why is this an important issue to you that you're taking that approach in your posts? Did you have a cool fiddy riding on it? Calm down knob-jockey.

just gives me the shits here are the rules clearly shown

the situation clearly falls into the rules with no room for interpretation and those rules clearly show that the decision made was correct yet people are still arguing against it.

and instead of just posting and applying one part of the rules why dont you explain to me using the whole thing how it should have been ruled no try

Rodent

Bench
I would say no try purely because he was on the ground and his momentum had been halted therefore the tackle is complete. Was probably a poor decision.
The rules don't support your view.

(b) when he is held by one or more opposing players
in such a manner that he can make no further
progress AND cannot part with the ball.

......look at the words after AND

Rodent

Bench
A Saints hating Melbourne fan has said it's a fair try......that's good enough for me. No use trying to convince people who either can't read the rules or aren't intelligent enough to interpret them.

Iafeta

Referee
just gives me the shits here are the rules clearly shown

the situation clearly falls into the rules with no room for interpretation and those rules clearly show that the decision made was correct yet people are still arguing against it.

and instead of just posting and applying one part of the rules why dont you explain to me using the whole thing how it should have been ruled no try

The poll is running 49-41 against a try. The way you were posting is if the whole forum is against the decision. Personally, I don't like the way the rule is written, it lacks a lot of common sense, but that's just my view and nothing that I'm all that upset about.

kurtz

Juniors
First off, Rabs was full of shit. Placing a hand on a player on the ground to effect a tackle only applies if the player with the ball was on the ground without anyone touching him (e.g. diving on the ball, tripping over, or after being ankle-tapped). If a player is brought to the ground in a tackle then he can offload the ball so long as the ball or the arm carrying the ball hasn't touched the ground and the tackle isn't completed in the opinion of the referee (i.e. the ref hasn't called held). Scott's arm never touched the ground, so that bit doesn't count.

Exactly right. Wasn't on the ground when a hand was placed on him, so not tackled, and the ball or arm carrying the ball hadn't touched the ground, so not tackled.

Anyone who relies on Ray Warren for their rule interpretations is in trouble.

Slackboy72

Coach
The poll is running 49-41 against a try. The way you were posting is if the whole forum is against the decision. Personally, I don't like the way the rule is written, it lacks a lot of common sense, but that's just my view and nothing that I'm all that upset about.

Maybe the refs should consult with you every week on what your views are. Numbnut.

aussie7798

First Grade

The big issue for me i think is that every week now their are numerous threads saying that the dragons get all the 50/50 calls and are the refs pets and most of the time the desicions discussed in these threads have grey areas so that debate and possible sides can be taken and for once it seems we have a black and white open and shut case where all that needs to be done is apply the rule as it is written and people still disagree.

thommo4pm

Coach
The big issue for me i think is that every week now their are numerous threads saying that the dragons get all the 50/50 calls and are the refs pets and most of the time the desicions discussed in these threads have grey areas so that debate and possible sides can be taken and for once it seems we have a black and white open and shut case where all that needs to be done is apply the rule as it is written and people still disagree.

Mate to be fair iafeta is a pretty good poster on here, he is usually unbiased in his views and applies common sense. I don't think he is having a crack at you. Don't let the people who hate us get to you, they have a go at us each week over anything, it's just jealousy.

Iafeta

Referee
Maybe the refs should consult with you every week on what your views are. Numbnut.

When did anyone suggest that? I think you're being overly drammatic there. None the less, referees are consulted at years end with coaches, its possible it'll be discussed, who knows, frankly, who cares.

Not at all. I personally think the Dragons are the best club not because of any calls they get but because they are systematically the best organised club under the most methodical coach in the competition. RE: disagreeing, I see it as more people debating the merits of a rule and its practical impact on play. I was surprised but not overly concerned with the ruling during the game, given the way the rules are written I dare say all teams would have got that ruling.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think no try, but it's not something the video ref should really be able to rule on. The ref shouldn't have to call "held" on every tackle. He was 100% still on the ground and then passed it. Sorry but the tackle was completed, no movement.

Latest posts