What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Scott/Matt Prior - try/no try

Prior try, Scott no-try?

• Total voters

innsaneink

Referee
I think no try, but it's not something the video ref should really be able to rule on. The ref shouldn't have to call "held" on every tackle. He was 100% still on the ground and then passed it. Sorry but the tackle was completed, no movement.
Refs calling 'held' has been a rule for as long as anyone can recall...certainly me.
Take that out and you have mayhem.
The ref calling held or not is the crux of the issue here...clearly he did not = play on = try!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Obviously the tackle wasn't completed. Arm and ball was still free and not on the ground.

The rules are posted by aussie.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Haha! So if the vote goes the way you want, it's all good. But if the vote goes the other way, it has to be tainted. Have to love democracy.
There's a difference between democracy and over bias. Plenty of the voters in favour of the try who clearly support your club rarely, if ever post in the NRL section and have come in solely to vote the poll in favour of their own side.

Looking at the "no try" votes, it seems to me there's far more neutrals.

But I guess it's just all "Dragons haters" eh?

On a serious note - it concerns me more than anything else that the rule is being mocked slightly with the call last night. The comments relating to the "AND cannot part with the ball" is a bit ridiculous - there are plenty of occasions every game where this rule, as a result of last night's ruling, can be easily exploited.

Something Joey and Gus both said during the coverage last night struck me - had the play occured on halfway, it would've been an immediate Bulldogs penalty. No doubt about it.

By that definition then I reckon you could see 5-10 tackles a game where a bloke is on the ground and now, like Scott, could turtle over to his back, and pop up a ball similar to a rugby union ruck. The blokes on the ground, he has someone holding onto him, he can't progress any further, common sense suggests thats a tackle.

Spot on...are we now going to have players trying to exploit this rule further ??. Logically I don't think we will but players will still try and push this aspect of play further.

SET2JT

Juniors
Spot on...are we now going to have players trying to exploit this rule further ??. Logically I don't think we will but players will still try and push this aspect of play further.
Its a different situation on halfway and when your 1m out from the try line. If Scott some how gets the ball over the line from there it wont be called a double movement as his arm never touches the ground. Why can't he pass it?

Hooch

Juniors
On his back, stopped cold, all momentum gone, someone was on his leg or something, he was held.

If the rule was really like that we'd have little men hanging around the back of the ruck waiting for someone to pass the ball up them and grab some cheap metres.

I'm surprised the vote is so close.

innsaneink

Referee
Something Joey and Gus both said during the coverage last night struck me - had the play occured on halfway, it would've been an immediate Bulldogs penalty. No doubt about it.

Only fools believe fortune tellers.

Why would the ref penalise a player for offloading if he hadnt called held?

innsaneink

Referee
On his back, stopped cold, all momentum gone, someone was on his leg or something, he was held.

If the rule was really like that we'd have little men hanging around the back of the ruck waiting for someone to pass the ball up them and grab some cheap metres.

I'm surprised the vote is so close.

LOL...forget the photo...they dont freeze once they hit the deck, there was still momentum

chrisD

Coach
That picture seals it, undoubtedly passed from the ground, only the typical dragon wankers opposing the blatantly obvious.

SET2JT

Juniors
That picture seals it, undoubtedly passed from the ground, only the typical dragon wankers opposing the blatantly obvious.
What are you on about? You can pass the ball from the ground if the ref hasn't called held or your arm caring the ball doesn't hit the ground.

chrisD

Coach
What are you on about? You can pass the ball from the ground if the ref hasn't called held or your arm caring the ball doesn't hit the ground.

Not when you're clearly held, but it's cool, double dragon standards isn't a big deal anymore.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not protesting double standards or favouritism to the Dragons at all.

I'm merely debating this single call. I believe it was a no try. There might be some allowance in the rules or something but to me, the player has passed the ball off the ground. As I said - anywhere on the field and it's a penalty.

Mayor West

Juniors
To me, the decision to award the try opens up a can of worms. Scott is on his back, forward progress has stopped and he has a hand on him. Yes the ball carrying arm never touches the ground but that happens in a hell of a lot of tackles during the game. Are we supposed to believe that you're allowed to offload off the ground when completely stopped and wrapped up but the ball carrying arm hasn't hit the ground?

As i saw it, they decided to let the hybrid union/league rules continue last night. Dead set Scott is handing off the ball at the back of a ruck! Ridiculous decision and all in all Prior didn't even ground the thing.

Geohood

Bench
To me, the decision to award the try opens up a can of worms. Scott is on his back, forward progress has stopped and he has a hand on him. Yes the ball carrying arm never touches the ground but that happens in a hell of a lot of tackles during the game. Are we supposed to believe that you're allowed to offload off the ground when completely stopped and wrapped up but the ball carrying arm hasn't hit the ground?

As i saw it, they decided to let the hybrid union/league rules continue last night. Dead set Scott is handing off the ball at the back of a ruck! Ridiculous decision and all in all Prior didn't even ground the thing.

Definitely grounded it though, have another look if you're not sure.

SET2JT

Juniors
Not when you're clearly held, but it's cool, double dragon standards isn't a big deal anymore.
Show me anywhere in the rule book were your theory is correct. So far what i have seen from the rule book, it had to be a try.
The funny thing is the commentators on 9 thought it was a no try but on 2GB they thought it was a try.

chrisD

Coach
Show me anywhere in the rule book were your theory is correct. So far what i have seen from the rule book, it had to be a try.
The funny thing is the commentators on 9 thought it was a no try but on 2GB they thought it was a try.

I don't need to consult a rule book to support my theory that you can not pass the ball while held, you're a dragons fan, we get it, your bullshit is just par for the course.