What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau's bombshell: we'll flog dragons

_Johnsy

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...mbshell-well-flog-dragons-20100918-15h2a.html
Beau bombshell: we'll flog Dragons

Josh Rakic

September 19, 2010
Talking the talk ... Wests Winger Beau Ryan. Photo: Getty Images
WESTS TIGERS funnyman Beau Ryan has saved his most provocative jibe for finals opponents St George Illawarra, declaring: ''I can't wait to get out there and towel them up.''
In what is shaping as one of the most anticipated sporting showdowns in years, the Tigers will take on the Dragons at ANZ Stadium on Saturday after surviving a thriller against Canberra.
The clash - a rematch of their 2005 preliminary final won by the Tigers - was already shaping as a barnburner, but Ryan's salacious comments are likely to generate even more interest. And Dragons fire.
''I've got a lot of good mates at the Dragons and I can't wait to get out there and towel them up,'' Ryan told The Sun-Herald yesterday.
''I've heard from a couple of them, but to be honest Matty Cooper has been sending little throw-offs. But, mate, we'll be ready.
''I'm confident that we can put a big score against them and make them work. [Tigers teammate] Gareth Ellis said during the week we'd rather have played this weekend and been in the trenches and [then] play again.
''The Dragons have had the week off and there is going to be a lot of pressure on them. I think we're going to come out and put our best foot forward and hopefully give it to them. We've got the best team in the comp this week as far as form is concerned and all the boys used all the prayers last night for Jarrod Croker to miss that goal.
''I think God will be on our side again this week.''
The Dragons will already have plenty of motivation going into Saturday night's match. The joint-venture club won the minor premiership last season only to go out in the finals in straight sets. The players know they will be lumped with the ''chokers'' tag if they again fail to turn a minor premiership into a major one.
If they want any further motivation, they need only read on. ''Mate, I just want to say, the side we've got now is a side that can go all the way,'' Ryan said. ''That loss against the Roosters last [weekend] is only going to make us stronger.
''And it's all started with the CEO Steve Humphreys, [strength and conditioning coach] Steve Folkes, Peter Gentle our defensive coach, and [assistant coach] Royce Simmons, [who] has been fantastic, although he's leaving us. And we've got the best coach in the comp, Tim Sheens.
''We're one game away from a grand final, the best day of our lives, so hopefully we can put in a good performance against the Dragons, and the media and our fans can look after us too and get 70,000 at ANZ Stadium.
''We are ready to roll, it's the year of the Tigers, brother.''
Ryan has developed into one of the league's true characters, and his ''Beau Knows'' segment on Channel Nine's Footy Show has elevated his profile. Former NSW and Australian forward Mark Geyer has previously criticised him for not concentrating solely on footballing commitments and Ryan is again likely to come under fire, this time for providing the opposition with ammunition before a big game.
The 2005 premiers are now just one win away from a grand final appearance after Croker, Canberra's young centre, missed a crucial penalty goal attempt on Friday night.
Ryan revealed that his Tigers teammates sledged Croker before his infamous miss.
''That penalty goal, Liam Fulton and Bryce Gibbs got in his ear a fair bit and it came off. Even after the game Jarrod Croker, one of the first things he said, was that they got in his head.
''To be out there with my best mates, words can't describe how happy I am.''

:roll:

_Johnsy

Referee
I can't understand what Beau or the tiges achieve by Beau coming out with these pearlers. I don't imagine Tim would be that impressed.

macnaz

Staff member
The headline " We'll flog dragons" wasnt even used in the article, i read things such and HOPE and THINK hardly over convident jibes. In any case i doubt Ryan is going to be the main man to contribute much to ensure we win, especialy with his average form of late... More likely to help us loose IMO.

aids

Bench
Ryan:
pros: can catch high balls
cons: can't catch passes, tackle

Fitzy:
Pros: can catch passes, tackle
Cons: can't catch the high ball.

do we have a winger in reserves that can catch highballs, passes and can tackle??

Juniors
No Ryan prefers to mix things up a little, let the high ball bounce & where it ends up nobody KNOWS.

That's the frustrating thing about him. If there's a opposition player there to catch the ball he jumps high and more often than not pulls off a brilliant catch, however if it looks like finding the turf, more often than not it does. WTF.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's hard to believe he was very good at fullback earlier this year.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Beau is a good bloke and a great team man. Ever since making his debut, I can remember him encouraging his team mates. Players love playing with him, but in all seriousness his abilities as a player doesn't quite match up to his enthusiasm. Having said that, it's all about mateship and playing for one another...and the Tigers have definately got that. Probably moreso than any other side which could see them through.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Beau almost scored 3 tries against the Raiders if the kicks/passes were more on target.

It's good a player isn't just talking in cliches. Lets smash the Dragons by 50!

Eddie.

Bench
I don't think he has put any pressure on the team. The Dragons will be carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders. However he has put pressure on himself. He has another game like Friday and he will get slammed, and rightly so after those comments. Bit silly.

If TNT was fit and available Beau would be lucky to be named anywhere in the team,his antics are at times amusing and he appears a good club man but realistically he is at best an average nrl player

R2Coupe

Juniors
The Telegraph reports the individual responsible for the story has issued an apology by text to Ryan. The report did not reflect the discussion and comments taken out of context.

Ryan did say he would not say anything like this about the Dragons. He also said they had been the best team in the competition.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Beau is a good bloke and a great team man. Ever since making his debut, I can remember him encouraging his team mates. Players love playing with him, but in all seriousness his abilities as a player doesn't quite match up to his enthusiasm. Having said that, it's all about mateship and playing for one another...and the Tigers have definately got that. Probably moreso than any other side which could see them through.

You could say Beau is the Matt Jobson of the 2010 team. Always first one there with a pat or a hug.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Instead of shaking hands with the opposition after each match......I reckon Beau should just give them a kiss on the cheeks, 3 times.....like they do in Europe...

"good game bro".....* kiss 3 times *

alien

Referee
Ryan:
pros: can catch high balls
cons: can't catch passes, tackle

Fitzy:
Pros: can catch passes, tackle
Cons: can't catch the high ball.

do we have a winger in reserves that can catch highballs, passes and can tackle??

I think Beau's tackling is better than Fitzy's tackling.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
They gave Beau a serve on the Matty Johns last night. Showed his fumbles & trips, then cut to his celebrating in the sheds. That grubber he dropped was an absolute sitter, we cant afford for him to bomb any chances like that this weekend.