What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Living in Nottingham, we have plenty of decent pubs which don't sell the mass market rubbish you can get everywhere else.

The absolute bottom of the barrel is Carling Lager. it tastes like androtop ends. favoured by those who take 24 cans on a day trip to Skegness.

Anyway, i've been drinking "UBU" by Purity Brewery for the last two days.
Bought some in the supermarket at the weekend, and when out for the day yesterday, found it in the pub! not bad at all.

I've fond memories of Nottingham, went to two gigs in two nights at Rock City, it was a top venue. And you have a great old pub there by the base of the castle, Ye Old Trip to Jerusalem I think it was called. Nice Cask Ales on tap there that was for sure.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
This maybe a touchy subject, but I thought I'd bring into the thread discussion of Light Beer.

Drinking light may be anathema to some, but I've always felt it a responsible option when driving. There are not too many on the market - Cascade, Hahn, Light Ice come to mind, and recently I was handed a Bluetongue Light when asking the barman the Light choice.

For mine, Cascade PL is a personal favourite. In many respects it is superior in flavour to any number of mass market Lagers, and at .8 standard drinks per stubbie, a good driving option. Of course, for a drinker who loves full flavour beers, there is never the pleasure of the senses, moreso enjoyable refreshment.

So how do the rest of you imbibers see drinking light? Do you never touch the stuff or do you have lights you enjoy? Think it girlie and weak, or see it as responsible and appropriate for certain times...

Last edited:
Hahn PL is my pick, it's good for when you need to keep your wits about you or if you feel like a drink without the giggles later. Boags light is a good one, not so hot for Cascade TBH.

Bazal

Post Whore
I personally don't drink light...I have never found one I like, they all taste like shandies to me

Bazal

Post Whore
Haha...nah, I just don't like the taste of any lights I have tried...would rather not have a beer tbh

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There are quite a few differences, you're right :lol:. But some of he better ones are the same. Edringer Dark is becoming a favourite of mine right now.

I've just been smashing the Schofferhofers. Just a classy classy beer.

Not terribly adventurous I know but at $30.00 for 12 x 500ml at First Choice it is seriously good value. In fact I couldn't think of a better deal round the bottleos.

Bazal

Post Whore
Buy it up now, is my advice. Our warehouse has none left, what is on the shelf is what there is!

Bazal

Post Whore
If you check the date, it's close to code...the 12 packs were a Vintage Cellars thing, we couldn't get them because our head office are incredibly intelligent. VC didn't move them, because they are a wine store and no one buys beer at VC, so they sat in the DC until some genius thought "hey, lets clear them out through First Choice!" They are now deleted because they didn't sell well enough...without even trying them in the biggest beer seller of the group. Welcome to my world

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Another reason to love this thread - inside info!

They are ridiculously cheap by every measure. I'm heading down tomorrow.

Bazal

Post Whore
After my cabernet, I have had more Feral Hop Hog than is humanly appropriate. I once wondered how this beer could beat Little Creatures in so many awards, pretty safe to say I now know

Latest posts