What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

dogslife

Coach
Does that include Korea? I've tried 3 or 4 different types of Korean beer, and I swear they're the same tasteless beers with different labels

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I've been looking for a good quality Australian Wheat Beer for some time, so I went out of my way to try Red Hill Brewery's version.

The claim to fame for Red Hill is they grow their own Hops, on vines that reaching souring heights on their property. It does sound very interesting to see the vines. The sight of vineyards across Australia has become a bit of a cliche, with every man and his dog wanting to make their own wine. So it is nice to hear that brewers and beer lovers are making their own impression on the landscape. Anyone ever down on the Mornington Peninsula should look to check them out.

The Wheat Beer itself was very satisfying. It maintained all the hallmarks of a the variety, with the distictive aromas and appearance of a wheat beer. In fact the aromas were powerfully strong, so when the flavour didn't quite match the nose it is a little disappointing. It probably lacked the more luxuriant quality of its European counterparts, but that is no bad thing. What is most distinctive though is the strong tart aftertaste, bitterness really. At first it was a little overpowering and had me looking at the ABV to make sure it was 5%. But after a couple it flowed nicely.

It is the best Aussie Wheat I've had so far. I think this was one of the first styles the brewery has produced so they've had time to refine. It shows and they should be proud.

Red Bear

Referee
Had the Mad Brewers Hoppy Heffe the other night, good, wasnt chilled completely so brought the flavour out a bit, strong but good.

Flapper

First Grade
4 pines kolsch lager. top drop

Indeed it is. Had a bottle when I mixed and matched a 6 pack of random beers I havent tried yet, and along with the Murray's Angry Man pale ale (which was, to put it bluntly, outstanding) it was the highlight of the night.

Mong

Post Whore
Have had the last month off uni and work so have finally gotten around to trying some beers I had been meaning to for a while.

Best one was the Sierra Nevada pale ale.. Om nom nom.. Think I will struggle to find better.

The burleigh brewing HEF Mo was interesting as well, don't usually drink that style of beer but it's worth a go, will try it or similar again.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
Have had the last month of uni and work so have finally gotten around to trying some beers I had been meaning to for a while.

Best one was the Sierra Nevada pale ale.. Om nom nom.. Think I will struggle to find better.

The burleigh brewing HEF Mo was interesting as well, don't usually drink that style of beer but it's worth a go, will try it or similar again.

the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is absolutely perfect. I get why the beer books I have talk about it in such revered terms now I've guzzled a shitload of it down my neck. If it wasn't $70 a case it'd pretty much be the only beer I drink.

Mong

Post Whore
the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is absolutely perfect. I get why the beer books I have talk about it in such revered terms now I've guzzled a shitload of it down my neck. If it wasn't $70 a case it'd pretty much be the only beer I drink.

Beer books?

That's a bit serious. I've enjoyed this thread as i am more likely to take note of what average blokes on the street think about these things than some pretentious wanker in a book.

It's all been good to see that there are many more league fans that actually enjoy good beer instead of swilling down vb, tooheys new or xxxx

Flapper

First Grade
Beer books?

That's a bit serious. I've enjoyed this thread as i am more likely to take note of what average blokes on the street think about these things than some pretentious wanker in a book.

It's all been good to see that there are many more league fans that actually enjoy good beer instead of swilling down vb, tooheys new or xxxx

Stuff like the 1001 beers to try before you die and shit like that. Not in it for the pretentiousness, just like having something to read to get ideas about what I might like to try next.

Bazal

Post Whore
Personally I quite like the 4 Pines stuff. Only issue for me is they are too pricey. The pale ale is rather good and the kolsch is a cracker in the summer

Bazal

Post Whore
San Miguel tonight...thought I'd give it a crack, we've got 4 packs of 500ml cans 2 for 20. Got some imported Heinekens in the deal too. The San Miguel is pretty nice actually, basic but I wish our basics were this good.