What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bega Trial vs the Eels

betcats

Referee
When did that happen? I dont recall him fielding any bombs. Well aside from one where I thought he was at centre inside of To'o. Might have been at fullback for it though. Aekins had to have spent atleast 80% of the game at 1. Such a waste not to see what we can add to our attack at 1.

Crichton got a good run there we did see it, he saved a try, fielded at least one bomb, kinda missed on another but didn’t touch it so no knock on, broke a tackle and had a half break in their half of the field and he almost saved the last try, he played at least twenty minutes there.

Edit: pretty sure he moved there after parramattas second last try, he kicked after that try and was at fullback for the remainder.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Haven’t heard the result of the CC trial today. Hoping Spencer Lenui carved up because we need him to be our David Fifita in 2020. He’s the x-factor, wrecking ball we could do with off the bench this season. Keen to know why he wasn’t taken to Bega ahead of a player who is most likely going to play for St Mary’s in Ron Massey.

OldPanther

Coach
I understand that, but this is a kid we developed over some seasons, silly suggestions he may have been the next Cameron Smith, but talented none the less and would have been the best option as back up hooker to Api. I think he had more to give if we had of stuck with him but again it’s a pointless argument now.

I was Egan's biggest fan, no one could compete with me on that but how could we keep Egan if he wanted to leave? The only way would be not sign Api and give Egan the 9 but that would've been a mistake.

Kilkenny

Coach
I was Egan's biggest fan, no one could compete with me on that but how could we keep Egan if he wanted to leave? The only way would be not sign Api and give Egan the 9 but that would've been a mistake.

It largely doesn’t matter now. The only point I make is we have gone all in with Api to quote a poker phrase. Mitch Kenny still unproven as back and a host of others who could possibly fill in if required. All NRL sides need at least two quality dummy halves so hopefully Mitch Kenny develops on the potential he showed last season even if he was largely no better than any of our other options.

OldPanther

Coach
It largely doesn’t matter now. The only point I make is we have gone all in with Api to quote a poker phrase. Mitch Kenny still unproven as back and a host of others who could possibly fill in if required. All NRL sides need at least two quality dummy halves so hopefully Mitch Kenny develops on the potential he showed last season even if he was largely no better than any of our other options.

I'm more contesting your phrasing of it more than anything. Panthers didn't get a choice. If Egan didn't leave we'd have Api, Egan and Kenny.

kinghippo

Juniors
That was a good trial, overall the team looked decent.
Cleary and API were awesome and To’o looked great.

Creighton > Aekins
Burton > luai
Hethrington > leota

Mansour and Whare played a lot better than last week but I am still convinced we need more from our backs in attack.

I think Burns should get the job at centre with Creighton at FB, as for the rest of the backline I just don’t know.
Naden has me convinced he is a winger, but Creighton has to be Fullback.

Panfa

Juniors
On today's efforts chrichton is a better option than aekins at fullback Burton needs to start at 5/8 in place of luai and the 3 injured forwards come straight back in.For mine this would be my 17= chrichton mansour whare naden t'oo Burton Cleary Fisher Harris kikau yeo tamou koroisau tetevano Hetherington capewell Martin luai

franklin2323

Immortal
Haven’t heard the result of the CC trial today. Hoping Spencer Lenui carved up because we need him to be our David Fifita in 2020. He’s the x-factor, wrecking ball we could do with off the bench this season. Keen to know why he wasn’t taken to Bega ahead of a player who is most likely going to play for St Mary’s in Ron Massey.

Match fitness. Wouldn’t of gotten much game time down there

franklin2323

Immortal
That was a good trial, overall the team looked decent.
Cleary and API were awesome and To’o looked great.

Creighton > Aekins
Burton > luai
Hethrington > leota

Mansour and Whare played a lot better than last week but I am still convinced we need more from our backs in attack.

I think Burns should get the job at centre with Creighton at FB, as for the rest of the backline I just don’t know.
Naden has me convinced he is a winger, but Creighton has to be Fullback.

It is not that Mansour or Whare are bad just don’t offer much in attack

kinghippo

Juniors
I think Aekin will get fullback.

I think wingers and centre's will stay the same. I thought Yeo looked very impressive today.
It will be interesting, the Ivan Cleary of old would definitely make those choices, safety first.
I think Trent may influence the decision though.
Yeo was really good, I was worried about how him but he looked very solid.

Fangs

Coach
I
Our 7 is locked in and rightfully so. Very good player who is hated on because his dad is a bit of a dick. Been said before but he is a very similar player to Cronk, will execute the ganeplan given to him

Yes yes okay. No argument.

You think Burton is a better 6? I'm talking team. Obviously a good player but what makes him a better 6 in 2019 with Cleary?

TeamSatan

Juniors
Aekins showed very little in 60 mins as opposed to chrichton in 20 mins.Aekins is small slow and no passing game chrichton is tall fast and a good jumpervv.
Yes.
Sometimes you just have to recognise a good reserve grader as that.
If the younger guy has physical advantage then go with him.

MugaB

Coach
It is not that Mansour or Whare are bad just don’t offer much in attack
This is incorrect (Whare fan here)
His draw and pass to To'o for the try, proves why he is a 1st grade centre, yes he doesn't try to break or bend the line, but thats not his job, 2nd rowers do that and guys like Laterall Mitchell who are big bodies, nope whare defensively hold his own, and snaps guys in half, and draw & pass gives To'o room and doesn't leave him stranded in defence, this is perfect centre/winger pairing, Naden is a strike winger playing in the centres, he needs to have a safer centre option on his inside, Burns for me is perfect blend of unpredictablity, and mansauce is done IMO, if he is still on roster round1 Ivan will have proven that he has gone sentimental.
Luai is a halfback, unless Nathan is injured or moved to 6 or 9, Luai isn't as effective being 3rd reciever, he needs to be at halfback, again Nathan at 7 is a sentimental choice, maloney was our halfback last year, yet Nathan wears the 7. He has played rep sides a 5/8th, why are we persisting with him there??? Nathan and Burton in the halves are too similar. Need ying/yang, Luai provides this but not @ 5/8th
Has to be 1st receiver.

My top17 side.

1=Crichton/Edwards.
2=Naden.
3=Whare.
4=Burns.
5=To'o.
6=Cleary.
7=Luai.
8=Tamou.
9=Korisau.
10=Leota.
11=Fisher-Harris.
12=Capewell.
13=Yeo.

14=Burton/May.
15=Martin.
16=Kikau.
17=Tetevano.

May returns round 5, and Edwards is injured for 2 months, so they'll slot back in for Crichton and Burton

Kikau needs to inject himself into the game 20mins in, this is done when Tamou and Leota come off, repaced by Tetevano and JFH moves to prop,
Capewell only moves to centres if they get injured mid game, Martin comes on for anyone blown out. And Burton or May can cover hooker or the backline

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Nathan is a good half back, he isn’t getting moved, he looks primed to take the next step IMO

Burton is better than Luai at this stage. Luai looks to have a better long passing game that’s about it. Jerome is the older and more experienced one but Burton is the one that plays like he has more experience. Jerome is a bit hotheaded, Burton is calm and collected. His long kicking game in particular is going to be a huge asset, with a long boot like his and that touch on his grubbers it’s an awesome weapon for him. Cleary and Burton give you a really solid defensive pairing also, Cleary will be a beast defensively this year and Burton looks solid, two big mobile halves that can tackle is luxury on defence must teams don’t have.

Jerome has had some nice moments in attack over the trials but he got sent off in a trial and had a couple poor moments yesterday but, in particular the first Moses try.

Panfa

Juniors
Aekins to me just played safe no frills catches the ball slowly runs back and gets tackled.He doesn't make breaks or beat the 1st man doesn't back up on the inside aka Edwards style and doesn't have a passing game.So why is he favourite to wear the no 1 jersey out of sympathy or cause he's been behind Edwards for yrs I'd play chrichton or Laurie over him anyday.