What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ellis

girvie

Staff member
I was wondering how you all think Ben Ellis is playing for the Dragons?

I haven't seen many Dragons games this year but i have been looking at the stats and he is has usually been top or 2nd top tackler.

How much game time has he been getting?

Do you think he has cemented a spot in the 17 man squad or is he still on the fringe of being dropped?

I watched the game tonight and thought he was pretty solid in general but in defence he was outstanding. NRL.com says he made 41 tackles and i estimate he was only on the field for 50 minutes. That was highest for the match and even more than Alan Tongue who i think played 80 minutes. Ellis has a pretty high work rate but i also noticed tonight that he was doing a lot of little things that would usually go un-noticed like putting pressure on the kicker every set.

How do you think he has been going in attack and from dummy half?
I thought tonight he was ok and he got some good offloads away.

petetheileet

First Grade
i really think he's a keeper, looks the goods and gets through a tonne of work for the limited time he spends on the field, i dont know how Caine got a look in earlier in the season with this bloke around

dragonfire

Bench
definitely great defensively and solid in attack, last night i was a bit baffled about the use of Woolford, he was off at around the 24th minute and wasnt seen until what the 50th minute? With him being an integral part of our attack i dont understand why he was taken off when we were struggling for any attacking creativity. Would have been better of taking Caine off and letting Ellis defend around the ruck

God-King Dean

Immortal
Ellis > Caine anyday.

I think Ellis is a little too keen sometimes to run from dummy half, but he'll learn & other than that I think he's a good player. I'd keep him as Woolfords replacement.

fresh_mayo

Juniors
i have really liked of what i have seen from him this season so far. Very good tackler, solid. Doesnt get dominated in tackles when he runs. Just needs to be more selective when he runs the ball. Not the creative type yet. But that will come with experience i hope.

Great workrate when he was at the bears and this has continued while he has been at the dragons in the limited minutes he has played. Looks keen to learn aswell so, should he continue his current form (not his fault we are going so bad) hopefully can keep him for a few more seasons. And yes I rate him.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Sign him on a long term contract NOW!!!

Ellis is a great prospect. If he serves his time under Woolford for a year or two - he will be one of the best hookers in the NRL when he is able to cement a first grade spot and make the #9 red v jersey his own.

Plus if we sign him for 5 years or so now, we will get him heaps cheap.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Immortal said:
Ellis > Caine anyday.

I think Ellis is a little too keen sometimes to run from dummy half, but he'll learn & other than that I think he's a good player. I'd keep him as Woolfords replacement.

I agree entirely...

girvie

Staff member
It's good to hear he is going well.

I know he was the probably hardest trainer when he was at the Bears so i'm sure that good work ethic will see him continue to improve.

How long is Woolford contracted for? I could imagine Ben Ellis starting and Rangi Chase coming off the bench in future years. That would be a good combination.

Latest posts