What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt -what are you?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Memo to Ben Hunt
I am getting a bit annoyed with you and your missus. You have now joined her in pondering out loud whether you want to be a hooker or a half back.

I have a news flash Ben. SGI paid you HUGE BUCKS- way more than you're probably worth- to fill the gaping 1/2 back void at this club. We do not need another hooker (or hero for that matter). We have McInnes - borderline Origin now and a kid called Reece Robson who will probably play Origin in about five years.

So Ben- time to make up your mind- do you want the responsibility of running a team at half back or don't you. If not, have the decency to tell the club that you wish to terminate your contract as of now and allow SGI to find a half back who wants to be just that.

TruSaint

Referee
maxresdefault.jpg

Frank Facer

First Grade
Memo to Ben Hunt
I am getting a bit annoyed with you and your missus. You have now joined her in pondering out loud whether you want to be a hooker or a half back.

I have a news flash Ben. SGI paid you HUGE BUCKS- way more than you're probably worth- to fill the gaping 1/2 back void at this club. We do not need another hooker (or hero for that matter). We have McInnes - borderline Origin now and a kid called Reece Robson who will probably play Origin in about five years.

So Ben- time to make up your mind- do you want the responsibility of running a team at half back or don't you. If not, have the decency to tell the club that you wish to terminate your contract as of now and allow SGI to find a half back who wants to be just that.
Maybe Hunts sees his hooker as his best chance of playing rep football on a regular basis? If he was playing hooker for us next year, he would be a great chance of being Qld's starting hooker. Players get at least 30K a game for playing origin, maybe even more. He also probably has clauses built into his contract that he receives more pay from us if he is playing reps. If he was playing hooker for Qld, he would be competing with Cook for the Australian jersey.

Maybe he actually likes the idea of a permanent switch to hooker? I like him at halfback, but a lot of people think he is better at hooker. I love his running game. He would definitely be one of the most creative hookers and dangerous dummy half runners. I do question if his defence is up to playing 80 minutes at hooker.

A while back,I did suggest the idea of us buying a game managing halfback, such as Corey Norman. and moving Hunt to hooker

Gareth67

First Grade
Don’t really wish to buy into this one , other than to say 2018 was his first at a club that demands success ( which over the last few seasons has been most disappointing to say the least ) . Let’s allow the man to catch his breath over that off season and I am sure that we will see the real Ben Hunt stand up next year .

Coffs dragon

Bench
He's a Halfback and he's our Halfback, that's all that matters! I don't care what or where he plays for QLD & Australia, just as long as he doesn't get injured or crucified by the media.
We finally get a decent Halfback to our club and let's all get behind him in his 2nd year and let him show with skill & confidence!!

watatank

Coach
Don’t believe all you read or hear about him. Fake news

The OP is talking about actual quotes, though. Not sure if these are the kinds of things you want to be hearing from your halfback.

"I've had a fair bit of thought about it to be honest, since that last Origin," Hunt said after gathering with teammates in Brisbane on Wednesday.

"Every time I've had the opportunity to play there I felt like I've played pretty well. Actually, my wife has said to me a few times 'why don't you just play hooker, you seem to play well at hooker'. Look, wherever the coach wants to play me I'm happy to play there, whether it's half or hooker.

“(Playing hooker) just simplifies things for me,” he said. “I just think that’s why I play some good footy there. I just have to worry about my little bubble in the middle there.”

"I've learnt to live with that I can play hooker pretty well, so if they want me to play there I'll play it. But at the end of the day, I'd still like to play halfback."

"I think it simplifies it for me a lot more," Hunt said.

"I'm more worried about getting the forwards moving forward and getting the ball to the halves when they want it. I think it's just a lot simpler game plan for a dummy half.

"I think it's why I play some good footy there. I just worry about what's going on in my little bubble in the middle and take my opportunities when I get them."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/03...s-he-contemplated-permanent-switch-to-hooker/

BLM01

First Grade
Oh my god. I thought the media were bad, now its more Dragons fans having a kick. If people keep asking him questions as always he is going to give answers. Worded perfect by the media release, would like to have been there to see how questions were asked before judging response. BTW..Ben Hunt does not pick himself at hooker, that was coaches and selectors. What is he supposed to think.

Brutalitops

Juniors
The OP is talking about actual quotes, though. Not sure if these are the kinds of things you want to be hearing from your halfback.

"I've had a fair bit of thought about it to be honest, since that last Origin," Hunt said after gathering with teammates in Brisbane on Wednesday.

"Every time I've had the opportunity to play there I felt like I've played pretty well. Actually, my wife has said to me a few times 'why don't you just play hooker, you seem to play well at hooker'. Look, wherever the coach wants to play me I'm happy to play there, whether it's half or hooker.

“(Playing hooker) just simplifies things for me,” he said. “I just think that’s why I play some good footy there. I just have to worry about my little bubble in the middle there.”

"I've learnt to live with that I can play hooker pretty well, so if they want me to play there I'll play it. But at the end of the day, I'd still like to play halfback."

"I'm more worried about getting the forwards moving forward and getting the ball to the halves when they want it. I think it's just a lot simpler game plan for a dummy half.

"I think it's why I play some good footy there. I just worry about what's going on in my little bubble in the middle and take my opportunities when I get them."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/03...s-he-contemplated-permanent-switch-to-hooker/
Well for one he is playing hooker for Australia, and has clearly been asked a question leading him to compare the two positions. What's he going to do, shoot down his international position right before a game during the press tour?

As far as I'm concerned, any speculation among Dragons fans should end right here:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

These are the comments that prompted me to start this thread- He spends 90% of the time talking about being a hooker and how it simplifies his role and then chucks in "but at the end of the day, I'd still like to play halfback"-really?

Sorry to those who think I'm being unfair on Hunt, but if we have a person on huge money playing arguably the toughest position in the team whose heart isn't 100% in it, then we can get used to more defeats in 2019- with or without Mary.

watatank

Coach
Well for one he is playing hooker for Australia, and has clearly been asked a question leading him to compare the two positions. What's he going to do, shoot down his international position right before a game during the press tour?

As far as I'm concerned, any speculation among Dragons fans should end right here:

For one he is not playing hooker for Australia, he is a utility. I get that he was asked leading questions but it seems to me he has thought a lot about it and he talks a lot about being playing an easier role with less pressure.

hazzbeen

Bench
This good for us either way , he can play 7 or 9 if needed , if Mary is smart enough he can mix things up during a game , he has options but then again we are talking about Mary .... Needs to look outside the square at times to keep the opposition in two minds . So having Ben being able to play both positions well , is a bonus ....