What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt willing to take a pay cut

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Coach is clearly the problem as we have all stated 200 million times already. And I totally agree that the board are an even bigger problem, totally corrupt.
But Ben Hunt is also a problem. He is rocks or diamonds and for even 800K you need to be a very consistent player.
I'd say thus far he has been very disappointing.

Totally agree mate. For that much money, you’d want him to play like a hybrid version of Cronk and Thurston. If he was on half as much, I’d say he was a good signing.

rasaint

Juniors
Ben Hunt is a very good player. I would estimate a $900k a season value in my opinion so probably got overs but different reports published on that matter.

We were good in 2018 overall and had not The serious injuries to Tariq and Gareth occurred we would have gone very close winning the comp. we passed our late season rough patch and were making our run. 2019 came and JDB situation arose, Leeson and Nene gone ( both good metre eaters and early tackle count momentum). I think Gareth left because he thought 2018 was the big shot at the Australian NRL title and the exit of players and no avail of JDB for 2019 meant he wanted his shot at English league. Of course Gareth’s injury haunted us again 2019.

No half back will shine if the pack can’t hold it’s own. We recruited Korbin and his old arm injury returned and Tariq was on one leg all last season. Truly no halfback including Ben Hunt can shine in those circumstances.

Dragon David

First Grade
Ben Hunt is a very good player. I would estimate a $900k a season value in my opinion so probably got overs but different reports published on that matter.

We were good in 2018 overall and had not The serious injuries to Tariq and Gareth occurred we would have gone very close winning the comp. we passed our late season rough patch and were making our run. 2019 came and JDB situation arose, Leeson and Nene gone ( both good metre eaters and early tackle count momentum). I think Gareth left because he thought 2018 was the big shot at the Australian NRL title and the exit of players and no avail of JDB for 2019 meant he wanted his shot at English league. Of course Gareth’s injury haunted us again 2019.

No half back will shine if the pack can’t hold it’s own. We recruited Korbin and his old arm injury returned and Tariq was on one leg all last season. Truly no halfback including Ben Hunt can shine in those circumstances.
True. Our forwards will need to dominate for our halves to get our attack going. Hunt at half is very good when he knows that the forwards are doing their job. He needs a thinker like Clune to help in the attacking raids.

getsmarty

Immortal
I will say this about Ben Hunt and his role in our side.
Very good player when the team is playing with confidence and winning the ruck. He would be the glamour star we wish in a good side like the Roosters or Canberra who play fast.
Look how him and Widdop were firing in the first 1/3rd of 2018 but when the team started to tire or other teams got into gear the halves were also tiring and had little time to do anything...and that was it.
Yes he is a confidence player and if the team is down he is not the organiser he is expected to be to pick them up and carry on his back and create a team try with a backline move or a kick. He is instinctive..but to play and do it on his own so that is why he needs the team firing on all cylinders and people following him...and why he is suited to 9 in a side like QLD.

Now the main problems we have had in the past 2 years (and there have been plenty) affecting our halves performance
1. The coach. Yes. Horrible use of easy to read and defend game plans and making Ben Hunt the organiser and reliance on his short kicking game which was never his strength.
2. Ben Hunt started to become a grab high tackler out wide when it was the wrong time. Coach not fixing this as him and Frizz did not work together defnsively with Aitken outside.
3. Both him and Widdop were instinctive players (not organisers). Widdop had a better short kicking game but he was playing on the wrong side for that and used his left foot too much....hence many a kick just when to players feet...so it was up to Benny again to get it right...never his strength.
4. Since mid 2018 we were getting slowed down in the ruck and were starting to become the worst team to make ground from anywhere in our half. Killer for the halves. But look what happened in that semi when Brisbane lost the ruck.
5. Widdop injuries. Graham ageing. Paul Vaughan & Frizz carrying the forwards on their back especially in 2019
6. Coach again..failure to identify, change and rectify.

Bullseye......Well said

Bench
Of course Hunt is being blamed for not being a superstar like Cronk and such.
The reason the way he plays is because of him doing what McIdiot says.
I think any coach who had Hunt and Dufty would have a game plan to involve them as much as possible.
Lomax is another example of poor coaching, he is a gifted player but he seems to get shifted around after every game.
Players like Norman, irrespective of what they earn need to droppe if not performing.
I big contract price should not guarantee them as fitst grade spot. Give the youngsters a go in the top side, if not we are going to end up signing players who are about to retire or are not wanted by their current club.

RedVDave

First Grade
Any halfback would struggle with our team.

Hunt is very solid won't set the world on fire but will always give his all.

I don't blame him for not living up to his pricetag, I blame the board for paying him massive overs (but how else would we have got him here)

The coach it's not like this needs to be said yet again but it's obvious.

getsmarty

Immortal
Any halfback would struggle with our team.

Hunt is very solid won't set the world on fire but will always give his all.

I don't blame him for not living up to his pricetag, I blame the board for paying him massive overs (but how else would we have got him here)

The coach it's not like this needs to be said yet again but it's obvious.

Agree although we didn't pay massive overs...Brisbane offered similar amount for less years...we paid what the Market dictated at the time....Look at guys like foran...much higher pay than hunt and unfortunately due to injury hasn't worked out well...same with Josh Reynolds..nikorima...

BLM01

First Grade
Agree although we didn't pay massive overs...Brisbane offered similar amount for less years...we paid what the Market dictated at the time....Look at guys like foran...much higher pay than hunt and unfortunately due to injury hasn't worked out well...same with Josh Reynolds..nikorima...
Ill add Milford, Mbye, Brooks, Morgan?, Ash Taylor all paiid overs and had their issues yet everyone is quiet about them

TruSaint

Referee
Ill add Milford, Mbye, Brooks, Morgan?, Ash Taylor all paiid overs and had their issues yet everyone is quiet about them

The fans of the clubs mentioned re the above players do complain about them.

Its a Dragons forum, and whilst it good to compare, our concern is Hunt. As @getsmarty said many times we didn't pay seven figures for him. However he is one of our top ( if not he top ) earners, and should not be shielded from critique.

BLM01

First Grade
The fans of the clubs mentioned re the above players do complain about them.

Its a Dragons forum, and whilst it good to compare, our concern is Hunt. As @getsmarty said many times we didn't pay seven figures for him. However he is one of our top ( if not he top ) earners, and should not be shielded from critique.
Gday Tru.....I am talking about the media highlighting.and scrutiny of Ben Hunt....not us or other fans at all. Fans do have a right to scrutinise as much as they like spending their hard earned on the club.
The media is biased against Ben Hunt and has gone past funny......relative to others who deserve just as much

TruSaint

Referee
Gday Tru.....I am talking about the media highlighting.and scrutiny of Ben Hunt....not us or other fans at all. Fans do have a right to scrutinise as much as they like spending their hard earned on the club.
The media is biased against Ben Hunt and has gone past funny......relative to others who deserve just as much

Fair comment.

My point is no one is above scrutiny. And shouldn't be. One reason Benny is always under the pump is as a result of the GF blunder. People relive that all the time.. Wrongly in my opinion. In addition the crap his partner copped on social media. She had a right to reply and she did, but it added to his media attention.

Ash Taylor has copped a bucket load of crap. Esp up north. But thats in the past. People know it was a dud deal.

Widdop copped bashings here when he was with us. in fact on JA there is a thread titled " Widdop is a blight on this team".. The original title was worse, but common sense prevailed and it was changed.

Player critique is part and parcel. Keeping it real is also advisable. I dont care if he is on 1 million or 100k, so far he has been average at best. Even allowing for Mary as coach.

Sorry, i cant sugar coat what I have seen. He is a talent that hasn't reached the levels I thought. I hope it changes.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Fans do have a right to scrutinise as much as they like spending their hard earned on the club.
I think this is a very flawed statement.

What determines how much someone can “scrutinise”? Does someone who buys a gold membership have more right to scrutinise than someone who bought just a car sticker?

And abuse, sorry, scrutiny from fans can be just as damaging mentally as media.

The last thing you want when you are a player is someone abusing you who’s wearing the same colours as you’ve just given your all in.

BLM01

First Grade
Fair comment.

My point is no one is above scrutiny. And shouldn't be. One reason Benny is always under the pump is as a result of the GF blunder. People relive that all the time.. Wrongly in my opinion. In addition the crap his partner copped on social media. She had a right to reply and she did, but it added to his media attention.

Ash Taylor has copped a bucket load of crap. Esp up north. But thats in the past. People know it was a dud deal.

Widdop copped bashings here when he was with us. in fact on JA there is a thread titled " Widdop is a blight on this team".. The original title was worse, but common sense prevailed and it was changed.

Player critique is part and parcel. Keeping it real is also advisable. I dont care if he is on 1 million or 100k, so far he has been average at best. Even allowing for Mary as coach.

Sorry, i cant sugar coat what I have seen. He is a talent that hasn't reached the levels I thought. I hope it changes.
That is the point Tru..I dont want anything sugarcoated by fans...I just want the media reporting in NSW (as I live here and listen to NSW media) from all corners including radio equitable.

BLM01

First Grade
I think this is a very flawed statement.

What determines how much someone can “scrutinise”? Does someone who buys a gold membership have more right to scrutinise than someone who bought just a car sticker?

And abuse, sorry, scrutiny from fans can be just as damaging mentally as media.

The last thing you want when you are a player is someone abusing you who’s wearing the same colours as you’ve just given your all in.
Of course you think that is a very flawed statement!...that is what you do and twist and argue to your level of thinking.
How much can a fan SCRUTINIZE?...as much as a fan chooses too
Since you have now burst through the barn doors...where did the word "abuse" come into this discussion out of the word scrutiny?...and when did I discuss that certain fans have more right than others?
And I did say I thought the overdone scrunity by media on Ben Hunt was unfair.
Hard earned could mean any amount of money or time invested from a fan!
Or do you want take this down the mental health debate again and your stance on the matter mentioning "abuse and damaging mentally".
It's all yours Muz!..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Of course you think that is a very flawed statement!...that is what you do and twist and argue to your level of thinking.
How much can a fan SCRUTINIZE?...as much as a fan chooses too
Since you have now burst through the barn doors...where did the word "abuse" come into this discussion out of the word scrutiny?...and when did I discuss that certain fans have more right than others?
And I did say I thought the overdone scrunity by media on Ben Hunt was unfair.
Hard earned could mean any amount of money or time invested from a fan!
Or do you want take this down the mental health debate again and your stance on the matter mentioning "abuse and damaging mentally".
It's all yours Muz!..
Someone’s belief that they are just ‘scrutinising’ a player can very different from another’s view, or even the recipient.

What a fan considers “passion” or “scrutiny” can be quite damaging to the player. You may want to read between the lines with the Lafai issue recently.

And I’ve never heard of people spending “their hard earned time” before.. You should patent that.