What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

st.phil

Bench
Widdop's career went backwards when he decided to join St George.
His football yes but his career? Not really. More prominent than ever, 4th in Dally M's 2014 and by the end of 20115 was recognised by media / footy circles as top class and a star in his own right. At Melbs he was in a successful team but flew under radar. Although playing shittier football than ever - his next pay packet will still be huge (wherever that may be)

monsterkev

Juniors
Widdop is off contract so ball is not in his court, I won't be upset to see him move on. He's average at organising, running and passing. I don't imagine too many defensive lines quaking in their boots when he has ball in hand
I also hope he goes

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The club can't afford to miss out on a quality half like Hunt, that's why they're putting all their eggs in one basket offering him 1 mil.
You have to look at the halves off contract at the end of 2017.
Luke Brooks - Not sold on him, he goes missing far too often and has definitely fallen into Mitchell Moses' shadow.
Mitchell Moses - The Tigers will move heaven and earth to keep this kid, it's likely he'll stay with them. Besides, he's not an organising half, he's a running 5/8 which is not what we need.
Jack Bird - Again, will likely re-sign with the Sharks. He too is a running style player, you couldn't put the weight of the team's playmaking on his shoulders, it's not his style.
Mitchell Pearce - Forget it, will be a Rooster for life. Regardless of that by the time he gets to the club in 2018 he'll be older than Hunt.
Shaun Johnson - Honestly, he's the one I would have gone for from the beginning but it's going to take A LOT to pull him out of NZ, I feel like he's an unrealistic target... You'd almost need to offer him Thurston type money.
Johnathan Thurston - Forget it.
Anthony Milford - Will never leave the Broncos and if he does, he's a running 5/8, not a genuine halfback.
Josh Reynolds - No way in the f**king world.
Tyrone Roberts - Had a good year in 2016 but I don't think he's even close to being an elite halfback.

Ben Hunt is the only one who makes sense out of the crop coming off contract, he's the only GENUINE elite halfback within reach for us, we cannot afford to miss out on him for reasons stated above. We need someone to who compliment Jai Field's natural game and I believe Hunt is the perfect player for that.
I know I can't predict the future, but I just have a feeling that it's almost Ben Hunt or no-one.

BennyV

Referee
You are kidding !
Reynolds has a superior passing game, and general play kicking game and also a better organiser and director of general play (which is what we really lack currently) ....plus on top of that close to the best goal kicker in the comp.
Reynolds has a superior kicking and goal kicking game, and is a mildly better organiser. Hunt is still a solid organising/directing half and has a decent kicking game (particularly short kicking), plus leaves Reynolds for dead when it comes to running game, and has more creativity and vision.

If Hunt was from NSW, Reynolds would have never seen a sky blue jersey.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a fan of Reynolds and would take him too! But Hunt has more strings to his bow, while still filling the criteria we are after.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
The way I read Gus's tweet is that Ben Hunt is an average half playing for a good club. Is that what we want to pay $1M for?

BennyV

Referee
The way I read Gus's tweet is that Ben Hunt is an average half playing for a good club. Is that what we want to pay $1M for?
I think his intention was that Hunt's value is what people are willing to pay for him, not what the average person thinks he is worth.

Keep in mind, Hunt is worth more to us than he would be to other teams, hence we are willing to pay more.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I think his intention was that Hunt's value is what people are willing to pay for him, not what the average person thinks he is worth.

Keep in mind, Hunt is worth more to us than he would be to other teams, hence we are willing to pay more.
You are probably correct. But he could be saying you should get a little fixer-upperer in Penrith on much less coin and develop it into a $1M property.

Latest posts