What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I wonder if the club pushed hard enough, they could force the Broncos into releasing Hunt early.
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, he would be a huge asset for the 2017 season.

Tom great idea and I would love that but 2 things stoping it happening.
Don't think we have much salary cap left.
Secondly I don't think the Bronco's have a ready made replace this year.
Imo

Gareth67

First Grade
I wonder if the club pushed hard enough, they could force the Broncos into releasing Hunt early.
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, he would be a huge asset for the 2017 season.

That's a lovely thought TRVR , and we certainly need him this year , however I think we may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves . Personally I get the feeling that he would like a fresh start elsewhere , and why not here at the Dragons .

With official negotiations now under way , he may very well be wearing the Big Red V next year , but not in 2017 . I cannot see Mr. Bennett allowing him to walk early , more so , when you consider that he may need to call upon Hammy-Benny as his replacement .

Also , I would hate to see just how much shine that our Mary would take from him , in his last year as coach . Let's sign him first and allow the new coach ( please let that be the case ) for season 2018 , actually utilise his skills for the better . I don't want McGregor turning Hunt into another Widdop , as that would be bordering on criminal negligence .

Last edited:

MattoDragon

Juniors
Thurston and Cronk are in a class of their own.

Agree Hunt is a notch below but he's played 3 test matches so he's definitely not second tier. He offers more than Reynolds IMO.

And when you consider that guys like Brooks, Moses and Taylor are likely going to command that sort of cash, I think Hunt has more runs on the board than any of those guys and he's still only 26.

Million bucks is probably excessive, but that's what it will take to lure anyone decent.

Totally disagree. Adam Reynolds has THE best kicking game in the NRL and his reading of a game is top notch. However, he does have one very disturbing problem....he's a rabbit through and through.
Imo, Hunt is no more than a very good first grader and he won't win us a comp.

MattoDragon

Juniors
Reynolds has a superior kicking and goal kicking game, and is a mildly better organiser. Hunt is still a solid organising/directing half and has a decent kicking game (particularly short kicking), plus leaves Reynolds for dead when it comes to running game, and has more creativity and vision.

If Hunt was from NSW, Reynolds would have never seen a sky blue jersey.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a fan of Reynolds and would take him too! But Hunt has more strings to his bow, while still filling the criteria we are after.

Couldn't disagree more. If Adam Reynolds was on the market at the moment, I would move heaven and earth to sign him. Reynolds has as good, if not better, running game than Hunt. He is up there with the best organisers and directors of a team and he kicks goals from anywhere on the park.
Reynolds isn't in the Thurston or Cronk class but he's certainly closer to them than Hunt is.
Reynolds also a good passer of the ball and can catch a ball, something a certain Mr Hunt has trouble with.

MattoDragon

Juniors
2017 season hasn't started yet. IMO the only thing we should be negotiating for in 2018 is a descent f##ken coach. A descent coach will attract players & we wont have to pay overs, 1 million a season for Hunt, ridiculous.Besides we have two young blokes, with descent coaching could possibly be better than all the half backs mentioned off contract next year. Dufty & Field. potential is definitely there

Agree totally. We need to sign and announce our new coach ASAP. Then start looking at players that will best fit the new coach's plans. We cannot f#%k around waiting to see if super coach might win us some games. He isn't up to the task. Quality players will not sign with us if there is a chance McGregor is going to be coaching in 2018. Players need to know who is going to be coach of a club before they consider signing.
A quality coach will attract quality players and improve the players we already have. However, if we leave announcing a coach till halfway through 2017, the best players will be gone from the market.
Doust and you idiots running the joint, get off your arses, decide on a coach, sign him, announce him and do it before the 2017 season starts.
Forget about how that might affect McGregor, we are not going to win a comp or come close to reaching the 8 while he's around, so get on with it. Hasler, Cleary even Toovey would satisfy me. But please, just do it!!!

Dragsters

First Grade
The Panthers rumours were silly, we don't need halves and couldn't afford to pay him anywhere near what yourselves or Parra could offer. It made zero sense. Hunt is a good player though the Dragons should definitely throw the books at him.

Had to be a beat up.

With Cleary and Martin you pennies are flush with proven skillful no. 7's.

It's not that far to the gong for those fellas if either they are surplus to your needs...

BennyV

Referee
Couldn't disagree more. If Adam Reynolds was on the market at the moment, I would move heaven and earth to sign him. Reynolds has as good, if not better, running game than Hunt. He is up there with the best organisers and directors of a team and he kicks goals from anywhere on the park.
Reynolds isn't in the Thurston or Cronk class but he's certainly closer to them than Hunt is.
Reynolds also a good passer of the ball and can catch a ball, something a certain Mr Hunt has trouble with.
Lol not sure what running game you are watching bro, but if we are comparing then I think I'm not too far off when I say that Hunt's 23 line breaks and 101 tackle breaks over the past 2 years are a few levels above Reynolds' 3 line breaks and 42 tackle breaks. And Reynolds 'good' passing game that's yielded 21 try assists and 7 line break assists is hardly comparable to Hunts 37 try assists and 31 line break assists.

I think it's safe to say that Hunt leaves him for dead in the creativity department. Sure, Hunt has made some extra errors but yeah, I'd cop that if he was able to produce those sort of numbers.

And while it's widely accepted that Reynolds has a superior kicking game - and I'll admit, Reynolds is a good kicker - Hunt's kicks-per-metre were slightly above Reynolds last year, and miles above the year before (although it takes into account short/attacking kicks, so not the most reliable info).

And as for organising game - well, there's no stats for that, obviously, but considering that Hunt is the focal point of the Bronco's team as much as Reynolds is for Rabbitohs, I'd argue its comparable, at worst.

So what we've established through facts and stats is that, despite your claims, Hunt has a comparable kicking game, a FAR better running game and a better passing game, more creativity in setting up for himself and his teammates and (opinions) is comparable as a director and organiser. He also seems to spend less time on the sideline through injury. So I'm more than comfortable with the effort the club is going to in order to sign Hunt over Reynolds!

(Stats taking from nrl.com).

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Lol not sure what running game you are watching bro, but if we are comparing then I think I'm not too far off when I say that Hunt's 23 line breaks and 101 tackle breaks over the past 2 years are a few levels above Reynolds' 3 line breaks and 42 tackle breaks. And Reynolds 'good' passing game that's yielded 21 try assists and 7 line break assists is hardly comparable to Hunts 37 try assists and 31 line break assists.

I think it's safe to say that Hunt leaves him for dead in the creativity department. Sure, Hunt has made some extra errors but yeah, I'd cop that if he was able to produce those sort of numbers.

And while it's widely accepted that Reynolds has a superior kicking game - and I'll admit, Reynolds is a good kicker - Hunt's kicks-per-metre were slightly above Reynolds last year, and miles above the year before (although it takes into account short/attacking kicks, so not the most reliable info).

And as for organising game - well, there's no stats for that, obviously, but considering that Hunt is the focal point of the Bronco's team as much as Reynolds is for Rabbitohs, I'd argue its comparable, at worst.

So what we've established through facts and stats is that, despite your claims, Hunt has a comparable kicking game, a FAR better running game and a better passing game, more creativity in setting up for himself and his teammates and (opinions) is comparable as a director and organiser. He also seems to spend less time on the sideline through injury. So I'm more than comfortable with the effort the club is going to in order to sign Hunt over Reynolds!

Schooled.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt on for solutions
TIM BARROW
13 Jan 2017, 11:54 a.m.
r169_0_3751_2631_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOP TARGET: Would signing Broncos halfback Ben Hunt be the answer for the Dragons? An offer from the Dragons comes as Gareth Widdop and coach Paul McGregor come off contract this year. Picture: Getty Images

SO after holding all their salary cap cards last year, the Dragons are prepared to go all-in on Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt.

They were always ready to launch into the market, though it’s hard to gauge the club’s strategic planning when David Warwick and Peter Mulholland have left the recruitment office in recent times and coach Paul McGregor is off contract at the end of the season.

The next big signing must be a coup to turn their premiership fortunes around and appease the restless Dragons faithful at the same time.

It’s early days, but the scuttlebutt out there suggests signing Hunt could be to replace captain Gareth Widdop, rather than partner him in 2018.

The Dragons are expected to be patient with Drew Hutchison and provide him another chance in the NRL when he is fit again, after the luckless anterior cruciate ligament injury which has ruined his year already.

Widdop’s form has been patchy the past two seasons and he has previously been forced to deny suggestions he wanted out of the club.

So the picture may become clear early on this season, perhaps even by May or June, about Widdop’s future, particularly if the Dragons can land the Hunt deal early.

The knock on Hunt has always been whether he possesses the kicking game to be the dominant premiership halfback Brisbane – and now the Dragons – desire, even though he came close to winning one in 2015.

But at 26, he is coming into the prime of his career and still has upside.

In the meantime, Dragons fans are anxious for Widdop to start the season in style and offer some hope for a finals campaign.

They scored just 341 points last year, only above Newcastle in the points-for column.

A return to WIN Stadium this week came with a declaration from Widdop, who said “I’ll certainly be taking charge more”.

In vowing to help reshape the Dragons’ attack, Widdop maintained he had confidence in the players in the squad who could fill the gap once reserved for Hutchison.

“It opens an opportunity and obviously we’ve got Josh McCrone, who played 150 first grade games and Jai Field and Shaun Nona,” he said this week.

“So we’ve got plenty of players for that position.”

Previously, this column discussed the Dragons taking the risk on switching Kurt Mann to the halves, after his failed move to fullback last season.

The early indications are Mann at halfback is unlikely, as McGregor tries a number of options during preseason training, at the Auckland Nines and during trials against the Tigers and Souths.

And there could still yet be a selection shock or two to come, with Matt Dufty impressing in his first NRL preseason, putting Josh Dugan’s move to the centres back on the table.

Mann has been touted as a potential halves candidate to partner Dragons captain and fellow former Melbourne Storm player Gareth Widdop.

They include the experienced McCrone, the untried Shaun Nona, who was super-impressive in the Illawarra Cutters premiership and national championship success, and emerging talent Jai Field.

Nona in particular is an exciting prospect.

At 26, he’s done a lengthy apprenticeship in the Queensland and NSW Premiership competitions. But it would mean Widdop would truly need to take over the organisation of the team behind what is an impressive forward pack.

If not, the discussion on whether Hunt is the long-term solution, or worth the offer of close to a million dollars per season, will intensify.

But wherever you stand on Hunt, now it’s out there, signing him could prove as important as early wins this season for the Dragons.

They really cannot afford another battering from their own fan base, after the ongoing sideshow of missing out on key signings in recent times.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4402270/hunt-on-for-solutions/?cs=3713

Reactions: Qdf

SaintHarry

Juniors
Well he's not top tier... So must be second.
Elite are guys like Thurston or Cronk.
I would class someone like Adam Reynolds or Cherry Evans as top tier.... and Hunt falls short of them IMO
Top tier contracts ... neither of them preformed better than hunt in the past 2 years .

blacksafake

First Grade

Check Mate.