What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

possm

Coach
It's great that we signed Hunt, now let's move on and sign Dugan and Widdop. Great spine to take us to many GF. Dugan, Widdop, Hunt and McInnes. WOW!!!

BennyV

Referee
Well, look how we are playing now. Just imagine Hunt and Widdop in the halves, Field on the bench, Kerr in the prop rotation and a fit Leilua in the backrow rotation.

A very competitive team for sure.
How many bench spots do you think we have?

SGMax

Juniors
Liking the way the roster is shaping if we can sign most of current team, especially Packer , Duges , and Widdop..

Still dreaming of a top line FB but if not, give the Michael Gordon a run for a year or two.
By then we will have our answer on Dufty and Masters will be just about ready for some 1st Grade.

I think it would be selfish to keep both Mann and Milne as they deserve to be regular top graders.

Looking at our team list, I think we may be one front rower short and that is Mose.
If Mose doesn't show signs of coming good soon, we should make a play for Matulino.
I previously thought we were 2 forwards short but JDB has finally started running straighter and harder.
Glad I wasn't in retention, I would have cut him after last year.

Hunt should be the icing on the cake and if this year's form is no fluke, Dragons will be serious contenders for the flag in the coming 3 or 4 years.....and beyond!

possm

Coach
How many bench spots do you think we have?
I'm assuming we lose Packer for next year. Not enough cap after signing all our forwards, Dugan and Widdop.

Bench
Sims prop
Kerr prop
Leilua backrow
Field utility

JDHD

Juniors
Any way that we can take our 6 million back and give it all to josh mccrone?
He was a weapon on saturday!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh, mercy.

McCrone is a great guy but he's a very ordinary player. Ben Hunt would absolutely run rings around him and he'd probably admit as much himself. No team is winning a comp if Josh McCrone is your first choice half back.

Crush

Coach

McCrone is a great guy but he's a very ordinary player. Ben Hunt would absolutely run rings around him and he'd probably admit as much himself. No team is winning a comp if Josh McCrone is your first choice half back.
I think you missed my sarcasm there JDHD....

Alec's-saints

Juniors

i think mcrone is better then Townsend. and sharks won a comp with him at half

BennyV

Referee
I'm assuming we lose Packer for next year. Not enough cap after signing all our forwards, Dugan and Widdop.

Bench
Sims prop
Kerr prop
Leilua backrow
Field utility
Losing Packer would be madness. I would give up any number of props not named Paul Vaughan to ensure we hold him, including Kerr, Lawrie, Masoe and so on. Not that it will come to that, out of Widdop, Dugan and Packer he is the one I am confident we will keep.

Crush

Coach
Yep, that one went straight over my head.

To be fair, I have heard a few people suggest the same thing in all seriousness. Can't be too careful!
Wow really? Those people must only watch one in every 5 games, mccrone usually sucks 4 out of 5!
Still, I must say he was really quite good on the weekend! I couldn't believe my eyes. I actually watched a replay just to check that I wasn't just drunk. Nope, he was still good the next day!

JDHD

Juniors
Wow really? Those people must only watch one in every 5 games, mccrone usually sucks 4 out of 5!
Still, I must say he was really quite good on the weekend! I couldn't believe my eyes. I actually watched a replay just to check that I wasn't just drunk. Nope, he was still good the next day!

Haha, mostly my dickhead uncles but I have seen a few journos saying how the dragons must be thinking they wasted cash on Hunt when McCrone's going so well ahaha.

I tell you what, how much has changed in 8 weeks? In late Feb we were all "dump Widdop and Dugan! Field and Dufty are the way forward!"

I think we all need to start admitting that we don't know what the hell we're talking about haha

TruSaint

Referee
Losing Packer would be madness. I would give up any number of props not named Paul Vaughan to ensure we hold him, including Kerr, Lawrie, Masoe and so on. Not that it will come to that, out of Widdop, Dugan and Packer he is the one I am confident we will keep.

Packer is loving his footy and it tells. Must keep. Vaughan has been inspirational and JDB has gone to a new level.

Cant see us keeping both Duges and Gaz, unfortunately. Would have been a great foundation for 2018. Then we could slowly start blooding our talented juniors and see what happens.

As it stands now, we have a gun 9, doing a great job, and Hunt coming in next year. 1 and 6 worry me. Our pack can match it with most , and our backline is competing for spots. Not sold yet on Nene, but happy for him to prove me wrong. Lafai has improved greatly, but it seems he may come at a cost.. losing Milne. Mann deserves a second chance.

Disclaimer:- we do have a cap...

mobels

Juniors

Bench
Sims prop
Kerr prop
Leilua backrow
Field utility
0 chance Packers leaving mate, he's going to stay here for a long time because we helped him get back in to the NRL, helped rehabilitate him and most clubs don't want to touch him because of what he's done.

Field doesn't work as a utility because he can only play in the halves and he's still way to small to not be a defensive liability, Leilua is still to unfit but will be ready for first grade again in a couple weeks and Kerr needs a full season in NSW Cup.

Sims/Ah Mau/Host or Sele/Mann is the perfect bench for us. As Mann can cover every single position in the backline and Host can cover every single position in the forwards where as Leilua can only work in the second row.

hewi

Bench
With the rumours of the storm chasing Milford for big dollars I think we will look back and realise we got a bargain with Hunt. Proof is in the pudding and won't know for sure till next year but here's hoping!!!

hazzbeen

Bench
With the rumours of the storm chasing Milford for big dollars I think we will look back and realise we got a bargain with Hunt. Proof is in the pudding and won't know for sure till next year but here's hoping!!!
Hewi with the money being thrown around for players at the present time , we did ok with Hunt and Vaughn .......

Life's Good

Coach
Agreed. There is no doubt in my mind Hunt possesses the right skills. Once that is applied with the steadying influence of Widdop then you have the makings of a strong halves combo that, with our forward pack, will have plenty of space to operate in.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I was actually on a Ben Hunt Highlights binge on youtube last night.

One of the things that strike me most about him is his vision. He is not the kind of player who will stick to a structured set play if he can see a better option (eg - running the ball, putting a kick in, playing for field position).
He's actually a lot quicker than I thought too, i've seen him outrun a few wingers.
His passing game is pinpoint as well, every pass hits the chest, has a classy cut out ball.
This is a guy that former players and coaches have talked about being a once in a generation style player, and he's still growing.

So happy we picked him up, he was the best option for us considering age/skill/ability/what we lack.