What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEN KENNEDY A SEA EAGLE!

chileman

Coach
Kennedy coup

By DEAN RITCHIE Rugby League Writer

June 10, 2004

BEN Kennedy's close friendship with former Test prop and current Manly assistant coach Steve Roach is today expected to give the Sea Eagles their most significant signing in a decade.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Newcastle star is this morning poised to tell the Knights he will be heading to Manly next season.

Kennedy, 30, will agree to a two-year contract at the Sea Eagles with a third season option.

Manly were last night still denying the deal had been completed, but the club hopes Kennedy's signing could lead to Knights teammate Timana Tahu also arriving at Brookvale.

Kennedy and Tahu are friends – as are their wives.

Roach and Kennedy are also good friends and the former Balmain front-rower played a key role in negotiations.

"Ben hasn't signed anything yet but I've certainly got my fingers crossed – he's a mate of mine," Roach said.

"I think Ben Kennedy is the best forward in the world.

"We approached Ben when we heard he could negotiate with other clubs.

"I told Ben Manly is a club on the way up.

"We have young players like Brett Stewart, Sam Harris and Anthony Watmough coming through.

"Ben can help these players with their development in the game.

"He started his rugby union career at Manly and it would be nice to leave his rugby league career after playing with Manly.

"I know he loves the northern beaches."

Roach's excitement is matched by Newcastle's disappointment.

"We'll have to wait and see what happens but if he does go it would be terrible," said Newcastle teammate Matt Gidley.

"Ben is possibly the best signing Newcastle has ever made.

"Ben's a close mate of mine and has been tremendous for the Knights. It would be a massive loss," added Gidley.

Sources claim the Knights were aware they could not re-sign Kennedy and Andrew Johns and remain under the $3.25 million salary cap.

This will be Manly's highest-profile signing since centre Terry Hill joined the club in 1994. Brett Kimmorley was a key buy in 2000 but he actually joined the Northern Eagles.

Kennedy will miss the Knights' clash with North Queensland tomorrow after scans revealed he had not fully recovered from a hamstring tear.

Knights winger Tahu is also being hunted by rugby union and cannot open any NRL negotiations until after the June 30 anti-tampering deadline passes.

Manly are cashed up after the club was privatised last week through a deal with local property developer Max Delmege. Kennedy will be the first blue-chip signing.

Sea Eagles executive director Paul Cummings stressed that Kennedy – who previously worked in real estate – has not been offered a job with Delmege after retiring from football.

The Sea Eagles will, however, financially assist Kennedy in obtaining a real estate licence.

It is understood Manly will meet with Kennedy's manager Mick Newton this morning to tie up final details.

Manly are also interested in boom prop Brent Kite, who is leaning towards Canberra, and Raiders hardman Ruben Wiki.

t-ba

Post Whore
Excellent. We know have parhaps the finest tachnical tackler in the gamer and one of the games most agressive forwards tutoring our pack!

magpiemax

Juniors
t-ba the hutt said:
Excellent. We know have parhaps the finest tachnical tackler in the gamer and one of the games most agressive forwards tutoring our pack!
YEAH........All he has to do now is stay on the field, mate he will be for you the same as Terry Hill(Wests tiger's) was for us.A cheque collector. :lol: :lol: :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
Big Mick said:
I think him just being there will help the guys there.

Atleast some people understand what his presence does for the club!

Terry Hill is a destablizing influence far too interested in club politics. He seems more interested in feuding with staff than teaching younger players the Ropes.

Johns Magic

Referee
Damn you Manly!
This is such a sad moment for Newcastle. Damn salary cap.
I wish him good luck at Manly, and I hope for you guys that he plays very well in many games for the Sea Eagles.
He is still my favourite player in the world, no matter where he goes. :cry:

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
Johns Magic said:
Damn you Manly!
I wish him good luck at Manly, and I hope for you guys that he plays very well in many games for the Sea Eagles.
He is still my favourite player in the world, no matter where he goes. :cry:

I hope you aren't too attached to Tahu.....if you know what i mean ;-)

Johns Magic

Referee
Johns Magic wrote:
Damn you Manly!
He is still my favourite player in the world, no matter where he goes.

I hope you aren't too attached to Tahu.....if you know what i mean

Quiet you! I've gone through enough emotional trauma for one day!

viva_la_bam

Juniors
brilliant, this means Souths do not make bad decision no. 1847 which they have been guilty of in the past with the signing of adam muir, terry hill etc.

bk is going to be 31, and as reported, he spends more time off the field than on. I do not question his talent, heart, inspirational qualities as a nrl player, but i do question the signing when manly are looking at building a premiership squad.

in saying the above, i hate manly and personally find this satisfying as the chance that this turns out to be a bust is greater than it being success.

newcastle knights fans / directors rejoice, you now have cap room to make good bids for retaining the likes of johns, tahu, k. gidley etc.

viva_la_bam

Juniors
leave tahu out of the newcastle equation ? why ? because the papers tell you here is a good thing at manly with bk ? that may well be the case in the coming future, but nothing has been confirmed and newcastle will make a substantial bid to retain the guy and surely make room in the three-quarters to give him what he wants.....the number 3 or 4 jersey.

given they are going to be vunerable with johns back next year with serious doubts if he can come back to the nrl firing on all cylinders, newcastle need to keep as much strike power as they can get and clearly when on the field he is the best weapon with no johns.

manly may well turn out to be true, but when going off paper reports looking to write a story, i will wait and see if the knights return serve.

MAFIA

Juniors
ahhhh the silvertails are back if you cannot grow ya own lets go and buy a premiership,when will you start putting your juniors through the systym kennedy is there well done but in other posts i will agree he is there for a retirement investment chq,shit he he was named as captain 2night for the knights but has pulled out injured....................................again. kennedy was a great player 7 years ago......... now he is injured too much and spends far to much time on the sidelines.

t-ba

Post Whore
We've got 5 local juniors and a swathe of developed players. We're growing our own just fine thanks. And now with Crusher in And Graham Lowe in NZ, we should have a production line to rival Parramatta's!

CC_Eagle

First Grade
MAFIA said:
ahhhh the silvertails are back if you cannot grow ya own lets go and buy a premiership,when will you start putting your juniors through the systym kennedy is there well done but in other posts i will agree he is there for a retirement investment chq,sh*t he he was named as captain 2night for the knights but has pulled out injured....................................again. kennedy was a great player 7 years ago......... now he is injured too much and spends far to much time on the sidelines.

Menzies - "home grown"
Harris - "home grown"
Watmough - "home grown"
Hopoate - "home grown" (I think)
Randall - "home grown"

just in case you can't count (its very likely) thats 5 local juniors. Alot more or no different to any other club. Who won 2nd grade cricket in Mudgee matters more to me than you opinion moron.

Langers

Juniors
I think Hoppa is a Wests junior. Don't forget Jason King though who is about as homegrown as it gets, born in Manly Hospital.

t-ba

Post Whore
King too CC!

Hoppa is an interesting one. Like alot of Tongan kids, he was raised nowhere near Manly but played for the might Manly Cove Pirates. He's certainly a developed player, he certainly played most of his juniors in the M-W catchment, but it's a tough call on whether he is a junior or not!