What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross signs with Sharks!

lolesi

First Grade
We needed some one! so im happy, i really dont care about the $, seeing as though we have a sh*tload atm.

Finally.

carinashark

First Grade
And also the great Nigel Vannnnnngaaannnaaa! When he gets the ball,southernshark! But really good news to get Ross even if for 2 years.
Carinashark

black_dot

Juniors
fair signing. I hope he gets angrier than he has been this year and potentially he could be a good long term front rower for us.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Congrats on signing Ben Ross.

It is sad to see him go from a penrith perspective. He didn't want to leave but the management had to let someone go.

You guys should use him from the bench. He could really add something to your team and fill the void with Stevens retiring and Nutley getting on a bit.

Our loss is your gain. Good luck!

Snoop Shark

First Grade
400K is a bit rich but at least its a positive signing.

Just hope that injury from last night is'nt a bad one.

island pro

Juniors
roboshark said:
I wonder if the club are even looking for players in this area at the moment. Maybe they have spent their whole time dealing with the Ross thing and now have to start from scratch looking for backs- or, is their any announcements being made soon about more signings, particularly backs?

word on the wind is that the sharks will be aquiring the services of former newcastle winger Darren Albert for next season. the blokes got speed to burn...

kevdude

Juniors
Ross signs with Cronulla

16jul05

A CHANCE to play alongside halfback Brett Kimmorley has prompted Queensland forward Ben Ross to end weeks of speculation and sign a lucrative four-year deal with Cronulla from 2006.

Penrith prop Ross, 25, ended a three-way tug-of-war for his signature by linking with the Sharks on a deal believed to be worth $1.6 million after also being courted by South Sydney and Melbourne.

"Playing alongside Brett Kimmorley was a big factor, the chance for him to lead us around is one that I couldn't knock back," Ross said today.

"And I had lived in Cronulla before, so I have a lot of friends there and the lifestyle is great but certainly Brett, having played Origin (for NSW), was the factor."

Ross will be an ideal replacement for Sharks and ex-Test prop Jason Stevens who this week confirmed he will retire at the end of the season.

"His retirement gave me a chance to move in there so it has all fallen into place," Ross said.

The Maroons frontrower said he wanted to end his career at Sharks after his dream of being a "Panther for life" was shattered by his shock release from Penrith.

Just weeks after buying a house in Penrith, Ross was told he would be released from the remaining two and a half years of his contract due to salary cap restraints.

"I had always seen myself finishing off my career at Penrith," said Ross who linked with Penrith in 2003 after a year with St George Illawarra.

"It's not possible now but I am hopeful of making my last eight or so games I have left with them this year the best games I have played for them.

"It would be perfect to finish the career at The Shire. I love the area so it would be good to wind down out there - hopefully there is one more contract after this."

Ross said he waited to see where Melbourne halfback Matt Orford would go before losing his patience.

"That was a big factor. I didn't really know what he was doing whether he was going to Manly or staying at Melbourne or whatever," he said.

"I waited but I could only wait so long. Now I have a chance to play with Brett Kimmorley so I can't wait - this is a big weight off the shoulders."

Ross admitted he was tempted two days ago to look at Souths after Penrith teammate Joe Galuvao announced a three-year deal with the Rabbitohs.

"I was waiting to see where other players were going, when Joe signed that opened my eyes up to Souths more," he said.

"But it was hard to concentrate with Origin and the Panthers footy going on."

Sharks general manager Steve Rogers described Ross as a "long term buy".

"I thought after our meeting that he was very comfortable with our proposition and the place itself," he said.

"He's the ideal replacement for Jason (Stevens). He's a long term buy for us.

"There's at least another four years in him after this contract so hopefully he's going to be a long term player with the Sharks."

Ross' manager George Mimis said Souths were never in the mix.

"He didn't have detailed talks with Souths. I think their focus was elsewhere - it was a two way thing between Melbourne and Sharks," he said.

Mimis - who also manages Orford - said he expected the Melbourne halfback to make a decision as early as this weekend following Ross' signing.

"There is no correlation between the two, the fact Ben has made a decision doesn't imply Matt will make one today or tomorrow (but) a decision by him (Orford) isn't far away," he said.

"He has probably worked out the variables in his mind so a decision won't be far off."

Meanwhile, Ross said he expected to back for Penrith next weekend against North Queensland despite being injured in last night's 18-16 loss to the Bulldogs.

"I'm pretty sore. I've got some nerve problems in my shoulder blade and back and it keeps getting knocked - but I'll have a few days off and I should be right," he said.

McLovin

Staff member
Its good that he wants to be with the Sharks till he retires. He's going lock up the starting prop postion for years to come...

sublimeshark

Juniors
With both of our starting props likely to play for Queensland next year we will need some good replacements come Origin time..