What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji certain to announce move to Union

Teddyboy

First Grade
It seems when a good or high profile player most of the LU bagg the player of and say good riddance

Matrix

Juniors
An atricle in nz today said benji might go to Japanese Rugby,whose season runs from september to febuary and still be able to play league.

dubby

Bench
With the "global economic crisis" and the recession in various EU nations, can one wonder if the huge $$ on offer in RU are still happening?

Honestly, which RU club would sign a half that has a crap kicking game in all respects and shoulders made from bubble wrap?

Then again, they did sign $BW.....

Noa

First Grade
have you seen the U20's?
The comp is choc full of future poly superstars
as ive always said, the great thing about RL, is for everyone like Gasnier/SBW/Marshall that leaves, there is another 7-8 kids ready to step up and make a name for themselves
RL will be fine with or without benji marshall

Lol, 90% of these so called junior stars never turn out as good as they looked at 17-19, hellmost wont even turn out to be better then Greg Eastwood.

Anyone who believes this is not important and nothing should be done has rocks in their head.

Right now in the NRL where watching half-careers. Just as there coming into there maturity we're losing them overseas.

Give me 90% of 25-29 year olds over 18-21 every day of the week.

Titanic

First Grade
How about these:

1. Clubs are promoting players too early and losing the experience/toughness factor that has been inherent in RL since forever. There is too much focus on the new "star" rather than the best team.

2. NRL has paid lip service to traditional tribalism for too long and should let economic realities take over and sort out the survivors from the deadwood while exploring new catchments. Urban drift alone ensures that traditional boundaries are constantly on the move.

3. Media has too much space to "sell" to readers/listeners/viewers and has swapped investigative reporting for sensationalism. Personally, the only thing I want to know about any player's salary or their indiscretions is when I read that Mr Abc is not playing in the A's this week because the club has stood him down. Knowing he glassed his girl or that he is a raving queen is just too much info.

4. Supporters should be totally worried when they lose their players to anybody else, where it be to another club, union or retirement. Club members are exactly that "members of our club" and as such have been welcomed into our backyard. Any departing player is a loss unless they have dissed their club.

I am no great fan of his but would think that Benji would be welcomed by most clubs (over-rated, over-paid, glass shouldered or not) but to lose him from your club after backing him in for so long should be very disappointing... imho.

RL1908

Bench
Perhaps you are right, doesnt change the fact the salary cap has to be ammended for those good enought to earn dollars outside their club.

In simple terms, they can earn dollars from outside their club's sponsors and not in club gear.

Aren't the earnings of players while wearing rep jerseys outside of the cap?

Isn't that one of the prime reasons we should be developing international RL? So the top players have other income streams? (Which is the way it was before Leagues Clubs, funnily enough!).

NZ just won a World Cup, with Marshall the most prominent face. Surely Marshall in a Kiwis jersey has some $ value/appeal?

Same with prominent NRL players in NSW/QLD/Aust jerseys.

The only thing probably missing is the lack of companies willing to use RL players, and that the rep teams don't have year long profiles (why not?).

ANZ Stadium last week promoted its 2009 schedule - look which team was missing - the NSW Blues! Meanwhile the NSW Waratahs are all over it, with just one ANZ Stadium game. In fact, there are no RL players in their advertiser's kit here at all:
http://www.anzstadium.com.au/News/LatestNews/NewsArticles.aspx?NewsContentId=ceb18dc0-6c7b-4314-85b3-c2fd6e66fc09

Redsfan

Juniors
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/flash-in-japan/2008/12/07/1228584717335.html

Flash in Japan: Marshall may not jump ship

Glenn Jackson | December 8, 2008

IN ANOTHER of sport's quirky ironies, the loss of Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall to the money on offer in rugby union may be prevented by … the money on offer in rugby union.

The prospect of earning almost $1.5 million for a stint in Japanese union may stop the Kiwi World Cup winner from quitting league altogether.

Marshall has attracted interest from Japan, and is believed to be in a position to earn upwards of ¥90 million ($1.49m) a season in the lucrative Top League.

And because the Japanese season runs in the Australian league off-season - from September to February - Marshall may be able to remain in the NRL even after a code switch.

While Wests Tigers officials, who commenced negotiations with the 2005 premiership winner's manager Martin Tauber on Friday, refused to confirm whether they would allow Marshall to test himself in Japanese rugby if it meant him staying at the club, a similar idea has been floated before.

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust, in attempting to prevent Mark Gasnier from defecting to rugby union last year, put forward the bold idea of allowing him to play in Europe in the off-season.

Marshall is believed to have told Kiwi teammates he would likely leave the Tigers when his contract expired at the end of next season, amid interest from the English Super League as well as rugby union clubs from the UK and France.

He is known to harbour a desire to play for the All Blacks, which would be forfeited should he decide to remain in the NRL, but he is relatively untried in rugby union, having played the sport only while a schoolboy, making a total code switch a gamble. The prospect of an off-season stint, while taxing on a body that has suffered significant injuries, is still a remote one but may be considered in an attempt to keep one of the NRL's most marketable players in the code.

The Tigers are facing a battle to keep not only Marshall, but a player equally important, Robbie Farah, and the fresh development around Marshall comes as another club joins the race for the hooker.

Farah has already toured the Gold Coast with Titans officials, and his manager Sam Ayoub yesterday confirmed there had been interest from another club in the City representative.

Tigers officials will likely meet Ayoub this week, and with Marshall not due back from a holiday - nor due at training - until the new year, said they expected Farah's future to be finalised first.

"Obviously we'd prefer it [Farah's negotiations] to not be done so publicly but we're not losing any sleep over that," recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said. "It's up to Gold Coast and his management."

Asked about the chances of losing both players, McDonnell said: "Who knows? We might not [keep them] if they came back and said we've been offered X-Y-Z and we can only offer X-Y. Everything's got its limits. But we'll be guided by that once we talk to them."

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens added of his stars: "They're going to look at their options. Why not? But I think both the boys have a desire to stay here. It's not going to be a matter of them being unhappy here.

"We've spoken to both their managers and both boys have indicated they'd like to get it done before the start of the [2009] season. That will settle everybody down."

Meanwhile, former Parramatta halfback Tim Smith is almost certain to return to UK club Wigan next season, but remains committed to returning to the NRL in 2010.

Smith, back in Australia until January, was courted briefly by Cronulla about a return to the NRL next season, even though he is contracted to the English club, but the money on offer was not enough.

"If he got an opportunity to come back he'd come back," Smith's manager David Riolo said. "He'd rather be in Australia than England. Wigan have always said if he gets an offer they'll let him go."

Great idea that! Here's a bloke who's shoulder shatters at the mere mention of a tackle and what's he gonna do in the off season? Play more Footy! Fair Dinkum Benji, give yourself an uppercut! The Tigers stood by you when you went through all your injury problems and now you are going to reward them by signing an inflated contract to play in the off season with someone else when you should be giving your body a rest.

These money whores who can't seem to live on $300 - $400k a year should be told to f#ck off and chase the coin elsewhere. He should actually have to earn a contract before he is given one. A couple of steps and a few flick passes in between months of injury down time does not qualify you as a great of the game imo.

Iafeta

Referee
The worrying concern for me was we seemed to lose mainly to ESL, and that was about it. And even then it was guys who were 28-29, and about to sign their last contract. A lot had played 150 first grade games and had probably reached their representative zenith. The only other part of the game that seemed susceptible to ESL (but nothing was ever done about it) was polynesian players due to the Kolpak ruling making them non overseas quota players.

The worrying trend to come out of the last 12 months is union is starting to get fairly proactive and take players at a far younger age. SBW, Gasnier, irrespective of your views on them they still had a lot to give to the game. You can argue the likes of Schifcofske etc had been replaced fairly easily, but Gasnier and SBW? Not so sure on that. Marshall again - we're very thin on international quality halves (aside from the Kangas) and that's a vital position. Even Berrick Barnes, another young name gone.

I couldn't care less when the likes of Craig Gower head overseas for their final pay-cheques. As far as I'm concerned, you play as long in the NRL as they did they deserve their opportunity and should go with our blessing. But when there's still an upside to any player I think it's a pity. Ultimately underselling the media rights and some weak marketing of the NRL product is rendering us to a position where a worrying trend is beginning to develop. That's whether you like the players concerned or not, the fact we're saying we can replace them with youngsters is naive given they are basically youngsters themselves.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Lets not forget andrew emelio has signed to play union in japan for next season, oh the horror the horror

Shorty

Staff member
To be honest,I'm sick and tired of seeing the players the NRL market f**k off and leave.
Greedy f**ktards like Gasnier and Sonny Bill gladly step in to advertise only to turn around and wipe the NRL(after getting paid,of course).
There needs to be something in the contract they sign when being promoted.

I don't give a f**k if Benji leaves,I'm surprised he still knows how to play League let alone Rugby with the amount of injuries he gets.
He'll play one game of Rugby and snap like a stick and once again sugar daddy(whoever it is) will be left scratching his head.

However,it is really embarassing that the stars the NRL promote in it's advertising are out of the code within the next year.
Something seriously has to be done.

Iafeta

Referee
To be honest,I'm sick and tired of seeing the players the NRL market f**k off and leave.
Greedy f**ktards like Gasnier and Sonny Bill gladly step in to advertise only to turn around and wipe the NRL(after getting paid,of course).

I don't give a f**k if Benji leaves,I'm surprised he still knows how to play League let alone Rugby with the amount of injuries he gets.
He'll play one game of Rugby and snap like a stick and once again sugar daddy(whoever it is) will be left scratching his head.

However,it is really embarassing that the stars the NRL promote in it's advertising are out of the code within the next year.

The NRL markets? LOL Good one, haven't laughed like that on a forum in a while.

Yep, they put Sonny Bill or Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer's mug on a bus shelter to market the players. You goose, it's because those players are marketable and go some way to attracting fans through the gates.

Perhaps the NRL could select better, you know, player's the borderline fans haven't heard or or don't care about. That'd be a sound marketing strategy, you should be on the board of directors Shorty, we need your logics involved. Or, perhaps the NRL could make top end player payments and bottom end payments to those on the borderline more attractive by correctly contracting it's real market value to gain adaquate business revenues rather than selling itself, and therefore the players, and therefore the fans, short. Nope, you and Gallop seem to have the same philosophies so I'm sure you'll go for the supposed quick fix, which of course fails.

Shorty

Staff member
The NRL markets? LOL Good one, haven't laughed like that on a forum in a while.
Yeah ok,cause that is relevent:roll:
Yep, they put Sonny Bill or Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer's mug on a bus shelter to market the players. You goose, it's because those players are marketable and go some way to attracting fans through the gates.
I think we've had some kind of misunderstanding.
You seem to be educating me on why they're marketable...I already know this.
Perhaps the NRL could select better, you know, player's the borderline fans haven't heard or or don't care about. That'd be a sound marketing strategy, you should be on the board of directors Shorty, we need your logics involved. Or, perhaps the NRL could make top end player payments and bottom end payments to those on the borderline more attractive by correctly contracting it's real market value to gain adaquate business revenues rather than selling itself, and therefore the players, and therefore the fans, short. Nope, you and Gallop seem to have the same philosophies so I'm sure you'll go for the supposed quick fix, which of course fails.
Hmmm I fail to see how any of the above had anything to do with my
post...weird.

_Johnsy

Referee

Shorty

I'll think you'll find Gaz was more than $500,000 out of pocket, he wasn't paid his contracted amount.

ozbash

Referee
news on kiwi tv tonight is that the benj may play footy (union ?) in the NRL off season.

A compromise I guess you'd call it.

quite agree with you Shorty, although is it the players that need to be looked at ?

I dont have the figures to back it up but i reckon top flight union, soccer players would earn double that of their NRL counterpart.

The games administrators need to get a bit serious too i think..

ozbash

Referee
Kiwis World Cup winner Benji Marshall could be about to make the switch to rugby in either Europe or Japan, according to Australian media reports.

Sydney's Sunday Telegraph said New Zealander Marshall looked set to stun the league world with a defection to rugby in Europe.

The newspaper reported Marshall had all but decided to quit and was likely to tell his NRL club Wests Tigers within a week.

But the Canberra Times reported a move could be prevented if Marshall was able to play rugby in the off-season in Japan.

Because the Japanese season runs from September to February - the Australian league off-season - Marshall could potentially play in both codes.

Wests Tigers officials refused to say whether Marshall would be allowed to play for both.

Marshall will leave Australia on Tuesday for a holiday in Canada.

He was not expected to be back for pre-season training until next year.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1318360/2362960

Latest posts