What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

stormbati

Bench
What's such a big deal about "racist" taunts anyway? How is it any worse to be called a black merkin than say a motherf**king wanker? The racism angle is completely irrelevant. Relevant headline should read:

"Benji punches thug for being unfriendly."
dont worry, you wouldnt understand

chrisD

Coach
If the alleged victim really did have ten or so blokes with him and Marshall was alone or with one friend, that just makes what Benji did even more stupid.

mrpwnd

Bench
The old adage....Talk sh**, get hit.

Ten tough as nails upstanding Australian citizens pick on one guy? Sounds real Australian to me. Not.

Get in a fight which you incited / started and then complain? Sounds real Australian to me. Not.
Australian values have been pretty piss poor lately and I think the DT/other Aussie media exemplify the modern trend.

The average Australian is now going to think that Benji is a dumbass dickhead that whacked a perfectly normal and 'upstanding' Australian citizen.

It's pretty amusing how Australians love becoming so melodramatic over these nothing issues.

You got a link to those comments mate?

Looks like they closed the leave comments section very quickly. The next time Buzz has a blog I will post the same. Doubt he will respond.

Mayble NRL fans have to ban the Daily Telegraph like the city of Liverpool in England did to The Sun newspapaer after all the crap they wrote about Liverpool fans after the disaster at Hillsborough.

If I was in charge of the Tigers I would not let any player or coach speak to the Daily Telegraph all season and only be available to other media.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Lets all just take a breath here.

So far we have Benji's managers version of events where he (and rightly so) spins events so his client is painted in the best possible light. We also have the tele's version of events which will put whatever spin on it it needs to in an attempt to sell the most papers.

Take a breath, wait a few days and see what the police investigation (if there is one) comes up with.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
If he hit someone who neither physically assaulted him nor threatened to do so, it's incredibly stupid, probably criminal behaviour, and the sh*t will deservedly hit the fan. Not the crime of the century but moronic and incredibly disappointing to me as a massive Benji fan.

hammer-time

Juniors
Dumb and dumber
Benji should know better . all high profile players should know better.
They become a target for any idiots out at 2AM and i think the % of idiocy on the streets increases significantly beyond midnight.
Sober at 2pm getting maccas? If this story real , i.e Benji smashed some dope , for whatever reason , he should be banned for a couple of a couple of weeks , for being DUMB> Benji can have no excuse that satisfies.

The bloke was hosting a joint charity event with HIS foundation and the OCF, kids with Cancer, at the Four Seasons (which is right next to the Maccas). Benji probably was being the good host and waited till everyone left!! That's why he was there at 3am. Probably didn't get a chance to eat either with his duties on the night.

He shouldn't have to put up with douche-bags like these guys mouthing off while he was in front of his girlfriend.

As far as I'm concerned. He should have laid the guy flat out on the ground. What is Australia coming to when a good bloke like Benji is labeled as the bad guy!!

Lambretta

First Grade
Lets all just take a breath here.

So far we have Benji's managers version of events where he (and rightly so) spins events so his client is painted in the best possible light. We also have the tele's version of events which will put whatever spin on it it needs to in an attempt to sell the most papers.

Take a breath, wait a few days and see what the police investigation (if there is one) comes up with.

Stop talking sense

We are Rugby League fans and we're tribal and we love stupidity

Therefore it is our god given right to divide into two camps and cheer in the hope of one coming out the victor.

On the one hand we have the righteously indignant brigade made up of people who would prefer Fred Nile to be Prime Minister and who think everything is terrible and all is woe with the World and we're going to hell in a handbasket. In this instance these are all the people calling Benji a mug for bringing the game into disrepute.

On the other hand we have the people that vote #1 sex party and then give their preferences to the donkey vote. These people think that Benji is justified in slapping down anyone who claims that Darren Lockyer is a better player and agree that the World deserves more fist related justice and that getting legless is just good fun.

Now stop talking sense and pick a f**king side pal.

Poul

Juniors
If there were 8-10 drunken yobbos taunting me, I would have tried to walk away, and if chased run like a scared rabbit. I would have been too worried about getting the crap beaten out of me. What would we all be saying now if this had happened to Benji, and he was seriously beaten up? But, if it was just one dickhead being agressive, and I couldn't extricate myself from the situation, I would only then have planted one on him.

I'll wait for the police report to come out. And I do hope that the dickheads ( does anyone seriously think that it could be some of Vlad's lackies?) that started this get outed.

So because some random forummer (a Tigers fan no less) has claimed he knows the person involved and said he set Marshall up then that makes it true in this case?
?

On the other hand, hardly anyone posting in this thread seems to have any question at all that the version of events relayed by Benji's manager is anything but the complete truth.

I'm not saying it isn't, but its interesting that just about everyone accepts his version of the story unquestionably.

MightyBronco

Juniors
Now I like Marshall even more....

I've long since stopped taking player misbehaviour stories seriously for a long while now. Blokes will be blokes and the media will always make a big deal out of it. I've accepted this as a fact of life and have moved on.

Its going to be this way for the next 50 years.

fightingirish69

Juniors
Good on him. If every dirty dog racist got their head beaten in the world would be a far better place. Just because someone plays Rugby League doesn't mean they should meekly submit to racial abuse.

yeah that should go for racists of any colour

fightingirish69

Juniors
i might add that benji seems to be one of the likeable players, he doesn't come off as thug, or a big headed snob. so why would some guy want to harass him

butchmcdick

Post Whore
i might add that benji seems to be one of the likeable players, he doesn't come off as thug, or a big headed snob. so why would some guy want to harass him

Who knows Irish ?

Why do Bani and Graham keep getting picked to play for the cowboys, some things in life just don't make sense

Eels Dude

Coach
On the other hand, hardly anyone posting in this thread seems to have any question at all that the version of events relayed by Benji's manager is anything but the complete truth.

I'm not saying it isn't, but its interesting that just about everyone accepts his version of the story unquestionably.

Very very good point. It's funny how so many people believe what they want to believe.

Latest posts