What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall to miss 4-6 weeks confirmed 2gb

Eddie.

Bench
I think Marshall wants to have the surgery, which is perfectly understandable. However the way Sheens has been talking, I think he wants him back on the paddock. The safer option would of been to sit out last season after the injury in the trials, he didn't and he played every game and won a Grand Final. He got through 26 games last year with a dodgy shoulder, and 3 this season with a "good" shoulder. Im not saying he shouldn't have the surgery, but all those jumping up and dwon that it could be the end of his career if he doesn't are a bit off the money.

jamesgould

Juniors
Well I hope if he plays on that he makes an appearance for the Kiwis at the end of the year.

He should have played for us last year, after all, if he had had the surgery after the tri-nations he would be returning about now, and would have missed out on a broken jaw and another dislocated shoulder!

innsaneink

Referee
jamesgould said:
Well I hope if he plays on that he makes an appearance for the Kiwis at the end of the year.

He should have played for us last year, after all, if he had had the surgery after the tri-nations he would be returning about now, and would have missed out on a broken jaw and another dislocated shoulder!

Get it in ya head now....he WONT be playing tri nations....or are you saving up for another mega bitch at seasons end.
Its easy to be wise in hindsight.

He could have the op now, sit out the season and off season, shoulders can be perfect yet do a bloody knee early next year...theres no guarantees on the field in this game.

Though if it is guaranteed his shoulder will be stronger next year if opped on now and he has an off season to strengthen it, I think they should go that way

The Colonel

Immortal
He is only 21. Have the surgery now and strengthen the shoulder for 2007. Plenty of football ahead of him to be worrying about missing a year now. I know it doesn't help the Tigers now but long term future should be the main focus.

Kiwi

First Grade
jamesgould said:

If he waits till years end, he won't be in the tri nations, if he gets the surgery and makes a return before years end, I doubt the Tigers would allow him to be in it anyway. Marshal is gorn for the tri nations.

I would even say the Tigers wouldn't allow him to play in the anzac test if he decided to play through it.

The only problem I have is...if you are fit enough to play for your club, you are fit enough to play for your country. If Marshall is out then fair enough, if he is playing then he should be available for rep games.

innsaneink

Referee
Players have obligations to their clubs that pay them, provide them with their livelihoods.
They are under no obligations to rep teams, which is a privilege.
Its why players can retire from rep footy yet continue to paly for their club.
Very simple really.

Kiwi

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Players have obligations to their clubs that pay them, provide them with their livelihoods.
They are under no obligations to rep teams, which is a privilege.

Isn't that picking and choosing? People hate players picking and choosing when to play rep games ( eg I wont play the first one or two but i'll play the rest ), so why should clubs do it? Rep footy is the pinicle of our game, I wonder what would happen in Union if a club did that? At the moment rep footy in league isn't treated like it should be, and thats wrong.

innsaneink said:
Its why players can retire from rep footy yet continue to paly for their club.
Very simple really.

Thats different, they made the choice and retired from rep footy, they didn't pick and choose which rep games they would play, they simply pulled the pin on the whole lot.

Kiwi

First Grade

And clubs have an obligation to the code that supports them.

innsaneink

Referee
If career enhancing surgery is the reason for 'picking and choosin', as opposed to going out in a certain rep level on a winning note liek a certain someone is hoping to do.....then I have no problem with it.....the year is just not long enough sometimes.
Tough.

Balmain_Boy

It's a tricky thing the rep situation. At the least Benji really should have been allowed to play the first test last year.

Kiwi

First Grade
innsaneink said:
If career enhancing surgery is the reason for 'picking and choosin', as opposed to going out in a certain rep level on a winning note liek a certain someone is hoping to do.....then I have no problem with it.....the year is just not long enough sometimes.
Tough.

You are missing my point. IF he has surgery then obviously he will miss selection because he will be out injured, it's kinda given, but if he is playing and still misses selection because of the injury, then I have a problem with it. If he rocks up for the Tigers the same weekend as the Anazac test the it's BS.

innsaneink

Referee
The Anzac test is only 4 weeks away, if they decide to go with surgery at years end, hes still 6 -8 weeks away from any footy field.

Kiwi

First Grade
innsaneink said:
The Anzac test is only 4 weeks away, if they decide to go with surgery at years end, hes still 6 -8 weeks away from any footy field.

You seem to be only part reading my posts, here read it again

IF he has surgery then obviously he will miss selection because he will be out injured, it's kinda given, but if he is playing and still misses selection because of the injury, then I have a problem with it. If he rocks up for the Tigers the same weekend as the Anazac test the it's BS.

So IF he doesn't have the surgery and plays on for the Tigers, playing the same weekend as the test then I have a problem with it. IF he chooses to have surgery at years end, then he should play the anzac test if he is available for the Tigers, if he has surgery at years end then fair enough on the Tri nations. If he has surgery now and makes a comeback before the tri nations, the Tigers shouldn't stop him from playing the tri nations.

innsaneink

Referee
If he has surgery now he wont play till next year.

If he has surgery at years end, he wont play for 6-8 weeks from now.

He wont be playing anzac test week, which is only 4 weeks away

Why do you have a problem with something that wont happen?

Eddie.

Bench
Excellent News.

Knowing Benji's recovering Power he will probably be back in 2;-)

Our Premiership defence remains alive.

Latest posts