What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

Danish

Referee
He isnt off contract with the Tigers until the end of this year (November 30). He doesnt become a free agent until October 1. But if he wants to go to Japan in the offseason he would need to have signed with a rugby team by June or July this year. That means there would be three or four months that he is signed to both the Tigers AND a Japanese rugby team, which cannot happen.

He can still sign a contract with a Japanese side in July this year though.

Players sign deals to move clubs mid year all the time. Gas signed with french rugby mid-season, so I fail to see the problem.

Gallop has no authority over what Marshall decides to do. He can only arrange it so that the NRL has power to take action in future cases through building in mandatory clauses into all new contracts.

gallagher

Juniors
f**k this is painful,

Ill try to put it into "hypothetical conversation" form.

Benji: "Hello Wests Tigers, i want to go to Japan and get a sh*tload of cash in the offseason"

Wests Tigers: "I dont know about that"

Benji: "Well its either that or i leave Rugby League for good, your call"

Wests Tigers: "Well, provided you're coming back to us after 3 months, we're ok with it"

Benji: "Sure thing"

*** Three months later ***

Wests Tigers: "Ok Benji, now that you're back, please sign on the dotted line"

Benji: "Nah, the Titans offered me more, see ya."

As I said I think its a big if. You think any other club will have a spare $300 k come next Feb just in case someone is on offer?
Either way, its sould be the tigers call, not the NRL's.

Charlie124

First Grade
As I said I think its a big if. You think any other club will have a spare $300 k come next Feb just in case someone is on offer?
Either way, its sould be the tigers call, not the NRL's.

What do you mean "just in case someone is on offer"? every club in the NRL will know that Marshall is not contracted to anyone for the 2010 seson and is (possibly) looking for a contract in the NRL. Any interested club in the NRL would be talking to him/his manager while he's over in Japan. You think the Titans (only using them as an example) will be saying "Benji is coming back from Japan as a free agent......oh wait we better not bother talking to him, he gave his word he would re-sign with the Tigers, regardless of any higher offers"

Clubs think ahead with their signings, just like the panthers among others have Carney in mind when he becomes available again in 2010, the same would happen with Marshall.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
He isnt off contract with the Tigers until the end of this year (November 30). He doesnt become a free agent until October 1. But if he wants to go to Japan in the offseason he would need to have signed with a rugby team by June or July this year. That means there would be three or four months that he is signed to both the Tigers AND a Japanese rugby team, which cannot happen.

More bullsh*t. A player can sign a contract to play in the future. Once this is common knowledge a club can do what it likes, within the constraints of the current contract.

For example, they could theoretically demote the player as Brisbane did with Hodges. They could stand him down. They could pay him out. Or they could act normally and let him play out the season. This is what happens all the time in most sports - NRL, rugby (see what Giteau has just done), motorsport, soccer - you name it.

I think Ryan Cross signed with the Force before his contract with the Roosters had completed.

It's different.
The contract with the Force commenced the following season, not during the off-season.
Ryan wasn't planning to do both at once.

He can still sign a contract with a Japanese side in July this year though.

Players sign deals to move clubs mid year all the time. Gas signed with french rugby mid-season, so I fail to see the problem.

True.

The only difference is Gaz wasn't coming back. Would Benji be?
If he did sign with Rugby, doubt he'd get another NRL contract. It'd be interesting to see what would happen either way.

gallagher

Juniors
What do you mean "just in case someone is on offer"? every club in the NRL will know that Marshall is not contracted to anyone for the 2010 seson and is (possibly) looking for a contract in the NRL. Any interested club in the NRL would be talking to him/his manager while he's over in Japan. You think the Titans (only using them as an example) will be saying "Benji is coming back from Japan as a free agent......oh wait we better not bother talking to him, he gave his word he would re-sign with the Tigers, regardless of any higher offers"

Clubs think ahead with their signings, just like the panthers among others have Carney in mind when he becomes available again in 2010, the same would happen with Marshall.

I bet the panthers dont have $300k spare from their cap come feb 2010 for Carney. If he hasnt signed by Sept this year they'll be looking elsewhere.
And I bet that no club would run that risk on a player with so many injury worries and one that has repeatedly said wont turn out for an NRL club.
I'm not saying it wont happen but I'm saying its a big 'if'.
Yoo cant say what your proposing is likely.

Charlie124

First Grade
I bet the panthers dont have $300k spare from their cap come feb 2010 for Carney. If he hasnt signed by Sept this year they'll be looking elsewhere.
And I bet that no club would run that risk on a player with so many injury worries and one that has repeatedly said wont turn out for an NRL club.
I'm not saying it wont happen but I'm saying its a big 'if'.
Yoo cant say what your proposing is likely.

You need to stop thinking about this as a one off case, whether Benji does it or not is neither here nor there, its the pandoras box it opens up if he is allowed to go. It means any player who wants more money (hmmmmm, many of them you think??) can do what he is doing.

Charlie124

First Grade
What's wrong with players earning more money?

Some people are just too precious.

As Gallop said, Rugby League shouldnt be treated as a part time job, especially when players are going to the direct opposition when they should be at pre-season training with their NRL team.

Parra

Referee
It is a part time job though. A lot of sports are.

Players are always being told to prepare for a life after footy. Grabbing a bag of loot while you can is a great preparation.

Charlie124

First Grade
It is a part time job though. A lot of sports are.

Players are always being told to prepare for a life after footy. Grabbing a bag of loot while you can is a great preparation.

Not professional sports.

"prepare for life after footy" doesnt translate to "play more footy for the opposition and come back to us when you're done". "Life after footy" is refering to studying or gaining skills that will serve you when your football career is....you know, over

gallagher

Juniors
Not professional sports.

"prepare for life after footy" doesnt translate to "play more footy for the opposition and come back to us when you're done". "Life after footy" is refering to studying or gaining skills that will serve you when your football career is....you know, over

Thats it Gallop, keep that tunnel vision going.

Parra

Referee
Not professional sports.

I'm just saying that having a big bucket of cash is very good preparation.

You are placing limits on where the money should come from. As long as it's legal it should be OK for a player to earn what he can.

gallagher

Juniors
I hope benji takes them on. Denis Tutty and Terry Hill took the establishment on over ridiculous restraint of trade matters and won. Benji will too and hopefully it ends Gallops reign.

Dragon

Coach
I hope benji takes them on. Denis Tutty and Terry Hill took the establishment on over ridiculous restraint of trade matters and won. Benji will too and hopefully it ends Gallops reign.

Hmm after watching the league doco tonight i was wondering something. Has any player ever given a few dollars to Tutty as a way of saying thanks for his pioneering efforts?

gallagher

Juniors
Hmm after watching the league doco tonight i was wondering something. Has any player ever given a few dollars to Tutty as a way of saying thanks for his pioneering efforts?

I wonder if what Tutty said rang a few bells in Gallops head?
The bit about the league telling him he had to play for Balmain and under their conditions or not play league at all.

Then Quayle or Arthurson in the 90's told the Broncos that if they didnt like the leagues rules then they should go and start their own comp.

Do the people running the game ever learn from their mistakes?

^

The problem is the people running the game start to believe they OWN the game, the players, the rules. The NRL is a competition of rugby league, they don't own the game.

Latest posts