What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

roughyedspud

Coach
do a easier job for more money or a harder one for less.........erm difficult one that..especially for a player who's 1 broken fingernail away from 6 months on the touchline..

Charlie124

First Grade
It's a bullsh*t point. Japanese rugby is less of a threat to the NRL than working part time in a Sushi bar in the off season. This whole one code vs the other is manufactured so emo cretins have something to complain about.

Lay off the crack pipe mate, whether its Japanese/French/Australian/Club or any other form rugby union, the fact remains that its rugby leagues direct rival and we shouldnt be happy to see our players go play it, even if they have given their word that they will come back (seeing as they're not contracted to any NRL teams at the time, what makes you think they'll come back??) Benji might decide that he'd rather stay over there after his 3 month stint and send a "thanks but no thanks" back to the Tigers

Gallop doesnt care about our game he would rather just let good players walk than play a game over the offseason
this is the 2nd time gallop has spoken out about the tigers this year ,why doesnt he try and improve the nrl instead of picking on the tigers

benji contract ends this year i dont see the fuss about him re-signing with us after he makes some money over in japan its better than losing him forever(which might be ok for other clubs cause 90% of them can attract big name players while the tigers cant)

Lay off the crack pipe mate, whether its Japanese/French/Australian/Club or any other form rugby union, the fact remains that its rugby leagues direct rival and we shouldnt be happy to see our players go play it, even if they have given their word that they will come back (seeing as they're not contracted to any NRL teams at the time, what makes you think they'll come back??) Benji might decide that he'd rather stay over there after his 3 month stint and send a "thanks but no thanks" back to the Tigers

or the tigers could re-sign him on a cheaper contract and not have to pay overs like they have to do to keep guys like farah and heighnington ????

Get up him Charlie.

If Benji goes, shut the door behind him. Shut the door behind all those turncoat f**ks.

Brutus

Referee
I lived in Japan for a year
Yeah, the Japanese are really into Rugby.
NOT!

Ha ha ha ... I wouldn't even know Rugby existed if I was Japanese
They are all about baseball and soccer

Spot on. It's an absolute nothing game there - in complete contrast to what many union geniuss would want people to believe.

It's the union network in play, nothing more.

boxa777

Coach
I don't agree that players should be able to play during the
off-season. It happens in cricket sure, but that is a non-contact game.
Playing 12 months of league/union is crazy. Plus, these players need to
participate in some pre-season with their clubs. Its not fair for everyone
associated with the affected club (fans included) if a player plays
overseas in summer and doesn't perform to expectations due to tiredness.

To help solve the situation, I think deeper thought and emphasis needs to
be placed on why these players are wanting to do this? No-one wakes up in the morning and says 'i want to dominate Japanese rugby union and then i will feel complete'. They want to go, for money and money alone.

So that being said and I understand why the salary cap is there and it should stay 100% but this 3rd party sponsorship stuff needs to be looked at. Players like Marshall should be able to reap as much sponsorship funds as the corporates are willing to pay him. No limit.. He deserves to cash in
on his profile. Why should the game turn money away?

I also understand that there should be a limit for this unlimited sponsorship for only 1-2 players per club otherwise it would be just another tool used by the rich and powerful clubs to avoid the cap and have a unfair advantage.

But if its a simple question of whether Benji or any other player being
allowed to play overseas during off-season, I say no they shouldn't be
allowed. Gallop speaking about how the Uk super league is not competition, certainly hasnt made his points well..

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25094976-23214,00.html

NRL board support David Gallop and block Benji Marshall's Japan bid

February 23, 2009

Benji Marshall's bid for a guest stint playing rugby union in Japan took another hit with the NRL board unanimously supporting plans to block such proposals.

The New Zealand international had flagged a possible offseason stint in Japan between contracts at the Wests Tigers, but the move has been vetoed by NRL chief executive David Gallop and now by the board.

“In essence the board's view is that rugby league is not a part-time occupation,'' Gallop said.

“The game and its commercial partners invest millions of dollars each year in creating an environment that is unmatched in intensity and excitement.

“You can't maintain that while allowing rival codes, rival sponsors and rival networks to market NRL players at the same time.

“The board feels that there can be no question, therefore, that the NRL has a clear stake in this issue.

“We also have to be careful not to allow managers and clubs to open artificial arrangements that circumvent the salary cap.''

Meanwhile the NRL board also endorsed the progress of the two-referee system being introduced this year.

AAP

aids

Bench
so i guess bird won't be playing league again any time soon?
they better get ready to cancel rogers and sailors contracts as well

gallagher

Juniors
hypothetical, say we use benji money and sign matt gitaeu
what then?
No good. It would only be putting the name 'rugby union' in the papers and therefore promoting a competitor. Gallop's gospel hasnt reached you yet?

it's astonishing to see the amount of people willing to bend over and take it in the crapper to keep these prima donna's happy

f**k 'em off and lock the gate behind them

Did Rogers and Sailor do both contracts at once in the calender year?

They defected, to leave the other sport entirely whilst BM would be doing both at once pretty much.

Parra

Referee
Spot on. It's an absolute nothing game there .

So what is the threat? The only people talking up Jap rugby as the 'enemy' are a few posters at this site. Elsewhere it is situation normal - Benji wants an earner and the the NRL wants control over the minutiae of the sport.

Charlie124

First Grade

Bird will hopefully be in jail, either way he isn't treating league like a part time job, he is forced to sit out. When Rogers and Sailor left league for union it wasnt for some bullsh*t cashgrab in the offseason, they left the game for good (at the time) only to come back years later and to different clubs.

there not tigers players they can do whatever they like :sarcasm:

Benji can go or he can stay, he cant do both. I didnt see the part of the article that stated this only applied to Tigpies players

hypothetical, say we use benji money and sign matt gitaeu
what then?

Then you lose Benji and gain Gitaeu :sarcasm:

Charlie124

First Grade
or the tigers could re-sign him on a cheaper contract and not have to pay overs like they have to do to keep guys like farah and heighnington ????

Why would he go back to the Tigers? think about it, when he gets back as a free agent theres nothing to stop him signing with whoever will pay him the most. Why not sign for a more glamourous club for one season and then ditch them in the offseason again?

Parra

Referee
Why would he go back to the Tigers? think about it, when he gets back as a free agent theres nothing to stop him signing with whoever will pay him the most. Why not sign for a more glamourous club for one season and then ditch them in the offseason again?

If it's a one season contract then no-one is ditched. That is just more useless emotional language.

The NRL don't want players working elsewhere? Then sign them up to long term lucrative contracts. In this case the club is happy , but the NRL is not. If the NRL wants a say, then it should be a contributing party to the contract.

Latest posts