What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

Charlie124

First Grade
If it's a one season contract then no-one is ditched. That is just more useless emotional language.

The NRL don't want players working elsewhere? Then sign them up to long term lucrative contracts. In this case the club is happy , but the NRL is not. If the NRL wants a say, then it should be a contributing party to the contract.

So will the club (Tigers) still be happy when Benji comes back and says, "actually, f**k the tigers, im going to the titans for a season, sorry guys"?

gallagher

Juniors
So will the club (Tigers) still be happy when Benji comes back and says, "actually, f**k the tigers, im going to the titans for a season, sorry guys"?
What would he gain out of that? he's off contract. He would just sign with Jap club tomorrow and tell the tigers he wont be coming back!
Are you a speech writer for gallop? Becasue your excuses are just as well thought out as his.

Charlie124

First Grade
What would he gain out of that? he's off contract. He would just sign with Jap club tomorrow and tell the tigers he wont be coming back!
Are you a speech writer for gallop? Becasue your excuses are just as well thought out as his.

How many clubs let their huge stars come completely off contract before re-signing them?? the Tigers would extend his contract tomorrow if it wasnt for this. So at the moment the Tigers seem to be happy for him to go in the offseason with the intention of him coming back to them when he's done.

My point is that Benji could go with the Tigers blessing, then burn them to sign for bigger money IF he returns at all.

gallagher

Juniors
How many clubs let their huge stars come completely off contract before re-signing them?? the Tigers would extend his contract tomorrow if it wasnt for this. So at the moment the Tigers seem to be happy for him to go in the offseason with the intention of him coming back to them when he's done.

My point is that Benji could go with the Tigers blessing, then burn them to sign for bigger money IF he returns at all.

Thats a big if, if you ask me. But even if that is the case then surley its the tigers call/risk. Not the NRL's.

Charlie124

First Grade
Thats a big if, if you ask me. But even if that is the case then surley its the tigers call/risk. Not the NRL's.

Why is it a "big if"? Especially if the Tigers think that his stint in Japan means he will sign with them cheaper. Benji has no reason to do that if he can get bigger cash at another club.

This whole thing isnt just about this case and Benji Marshall, what we want to prevent is setting a precident that see's Rugby Leagues biggest names going over to the rival code, for any period of time. If its allowed to happen we will see every big name player who can command rich union deals only signing 1 year contracts in the NRL and then whoring themselves around to the highest bidder every offseason.

gallagher

Juniors
Why is it a "big if"? Especially if the Tigers think that his stint in Japan means he will sign with them cheaper. Benji has no reason to do that if he can get bigger cash at another club.

quote]
Because he would just sign now or at least tell the tigers he wasnt coming back. If he had an agreement with the Titans then why would he tell the tigers he's gonna resign after the japan deal and then renege? What would he get out of it.
Its a ridiculous suggestion.

Charlie124

First Grade
f**k this is painful,

Ill try to put it into "hypothetical conversation" form.

Benji: "Hello Wests Tigers, i want to go to Japan and get a sh*tload of cash in the offseason"

Wests Tigers: "I dont know about that"

Benji: "Well its either that or i leave Rugby League for good, your call"

Wests Tigers: "Well, provided you're coming back to us after 3 months, we're ok with it"

Benji: "Sure thing"

*** Three months later ***

Wests Tigers: "Ok Benji, now that you're back, please sign on the dotted line"

Benji: "Nah, the Titans offered me more, see ya."

bartman

Immortal
Yep, no problems with the stance re greedy Benji and his manager at all.

If they want to go for more money, then just let them go. If their league money alone isn't enough for the prima donnas and the leeches that feed of them, then f**k 'em. They'll just hang the game out to dry if we keep giving in to them every time.

Danish

Referee
I have a feeling that Marshall just may test this one out.... particularly given the tigers seem to be for it as well.

While I am more than happy for the NRL to pass a motion that all new contracts to be registered with the NRL must contain clauses stating that a player shall not be allowed to play union while contracted to an NRL club, they really have no legal standing here.

Marshall has no clause in his current contract, he will be off contract at the end of the year, and free to do as he wishes. If they NRL actually try and block this thing by not registering Marshall's contract with the Tigers upon his return, it will cost them dearly. Hell the entire salary cap system could be challenged.

I would much prefer the NRL let him do it "just this once" and then write the clause into all player agreements from here on in.

Charlie124

First Grade
I have a feeling that Marshall just may test this one out.... particularly given the tigers seem to be for it as well.

While I am more than happy for the NRL to pass a motion that all new contracts to be registered with the NRL must contain clauses stating that a player shall not be allowed to play union while contracted to an NRL club, they really have no legal standing here.

Marshall has no clause in his current contract, he will be off contract at the end of the year, and free to do as he wishes. If they NRL actually try and block this thing by not registering Marshall's contract with the Tigers upon his return, it will cost them dearly. Hell the entire salary cap system could be challenged.

I would much prefer the NRL let him do it "just this once" and then write the clause into all player agreements from here on in.

Correct about the "off contract part" but if he's going to a Union team in Japan he needs to have signed a contract by June or July (whatever it was), which he cant do while still on contract to the Tigpies

taipan

Referee
Mat Rogers said the only NRL club he'd play for was the Sharks. Told his Mum on her deathbed apparently.

Who does he play for now?

His mother if she had been still alive,would have been thrilled with him playing ru,not.Just like Steve.

Danish

Referee
Correct about the "off contract part" but if he's going to a Union team in Japan he needs to have signed a contract by June or July (whatever it was), which he cant do while still on contract to the Tigpies

What would stop him signing by those dates exactly?

blight

Juniors
my god your a dumbsh*t charlie,
your right, he could tell the tigers "hey ive got a better deal, cya"
but what has Japan got to do with it?
NOTHING
he is OFF CONTRACT
once his contract ends with the tigers
he can negotiate any new deal that he wants, be it with the tigers or ANYONE ELSE
Him playing rugby in japan has no effect on weather or not he resigns with the tigers
There is nothing the nrl can do to stop benji, once his contract is up he is no longer bound to any T&C of said contract. he can go do whatever he wants.
All the nrl can do then is not allow any nrl club to sign up benji, and the only reason they would want to do that is because they are bitter idiots.
Im sure the super league wont mind signing him thats for f**king sure

Charlie124

First Grade
What would stop him signing by those dates exactly?

He isnt off contract with the Tigers until the end of this year (November 30). He doesnt become a free agent until October 1. But if he wants to go to Japan in the offseason he would need to have signed with a rugby team by June or July this year. That means there would be three or four months that he is signed to both the Tigers AND a Japanese rugby team, which cannot happen.

Charlie124

First Grade
my god your a dumbsh*t charlie,
your right, he could tell the tigers "hey ive got a better deal, cya"
but what has Japan got to do with it?
NOTHING
he is OFF CONTRACT
once his contract ends with the tigers
he can negotiate any new deal that he wants, be it with the tigers or ANYONE ELSE
Him playing rugby in japan has no effect on weather or not he resigns with the tigers
There is nothing the nrl can do to stop benji, once his contract is up he is no longer bound to any T&C of said contract. he can go do whatever he wants.
All the nrl can do then is not allow any nrl club to sign up benji, and the only reason they would want to do that is because they are bitter idiots.
Im sure the super league wont mind signing him thats for f**king sure

f**king hell, here we go again...

Benji is currently signed to the Tigers until THE END OF THIS YEAR.

Benji cannot sign with the Japanese union team AFTER that, he must do it before JUNE OR JULY THIS YEAR for his union contract to be registered.

The Tigers are only supporting Benji in this because they assume he will come back to them when he is done over there, which is no certainty.

kbw

Bench
I think Ryan Cross signed with the Force before his contract with the Roosters had completed.

thug jimmy

Juniors
f**king hell, here we go again...

Benji is currently signed to the Tigers until THE END OF THIS YEAR.

Benji cannot sign with the Japanese union team AFTER that, he must do it before JUNE OR JULY THIS YEAR for his union contract to be registered.

The Tigers are only supporting Benji in this because they assume he will come back to them when he is done over there, which is no certainty.
can you confirm he MUST be rightster before june or july?
the only one i've heard say it is eddie jones. tauber's (marshall's manager) response was it was the first they'd heard of it - and they've been talking with people from Japan.

Latest posts