What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

gong_eagle

First Grade
Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

Glenn Jackson | February 19, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/benji-set-to-defect/2009/02/18/1234632893361.html

BENJI MARSHALL'S stand-off with the NRL intensified last night, with his management saying chief executive David Gallop's hardline stance over his bid to play an off-season of Japanese rugby could lead to the player quitting the competition completely.
As Brisbane's representative fullback Karmichael Hunt became the latest target for Japanese rugby, Gallop said Marshall had to choose between the two codes as he weighs up a lucrative loan scenario struck between the Kiwi World Cup hero and Wests Tigers.
It's that stance that may drive him out of the game, with agent Martin Tauber warning that Marshall had become disillusioned over Gallop's insistence that he cannot play in Japan in the NRL off-season before signing a new contract with the Tigers for 2010 and beyond.
Asked whether this could affect the chances of Marshall staying in the NRL, with interest from French rugby as well as Japan, Tauber said: "Absolutely."
"The saddest part of all of this is the boy is 24 next Monday," Tauber said. "If you were 24, or 23 as he is today, and somebody tells you that they're going to ban you, what do you think that does to his attitude to the game? He feels that the game which he's loved and supported … his opportunities are limited and if they say he can't do those things, they're driving a wedge in."
The Herald has also been told that Hunt's manager David Riolo has been sounded out by representatives from Japanese rugby about a more permanent move for his client, off contract with the Broncos at the end of this season. Hunt is also believed to have attracted some interest from French rugby union clubs, although Riolo refused to fuel any speculation yesterday.
Tauber met Tigers chairman David Trodden, a Balmain solicitor, for several hours to discuss the Marshall issue yesterday, while Tigers chief executive Scott Longmuir remained committed to striking a deal should the playmaker be offered a concrete deal by a Japanese club.
The NRL's opposition to the deal comes on two fronts - a perceived leg-up to a rival code and the salary cap implications of Marshall returning to the Tigers next season on a reduced deal.
"I understand their position - they're trying to protect the integrity of the game - but it deserves some sort of philosophical debate about it," Tauber said. He also said Marshall was still prepared to make a lightning trip to Japan if interest in him became official - "if we get word, we'd go within 48 hours".
Tauber said he was "surprised" by Gallop's comments.
"Tell me what's different with Andrew Walker, Wendell Sailor, Brad Thorn and Mat Rogers? What if Lote Tuqiri wanted to come back tomorrow? Would they stop him? No, they'd have banners out for him," he said.
"What's different with all those other players? Why are they promoted and welcomed back with open arms?"
"How do you stop somebody, when their contract is ended - gone - doing something else? [Gallop] can't stand in his way."
On a day he again conceded the season was too long for the players, Gallop said that the burden on Marshall's body concerned him the most.
"For a player who has had his share of injuries to go and play rugby - if he got injured and could not play the first few months of the rugby league season, the fans would be really disappointed, and they'd say, 'Why would we let this happen?"' Gallop said. "He's got to make a choice. He's either a rugby league player or a rugby union player. If I work for Coke, I'm not going to be allowed to go to Pepsi for a few months."

gregstar

Referee
good-bye benji.

our game isn't big enough for you anymore.

japanese rugby was always your calling.

Loudstrat

Coach
If someone was 24, or as he is now, 23, and doesn't understand what a countract is, or doesn't understand why you can't get everything your own way, he needs help urgently.

Why is it that it's the Kiwis and Polynesians who can't nut this out? I hear Peter Costello wants to spend 6 months as a Labor minister - can understand why Turnbull is against it.

Selfish twat. Would have looked a complete twat if Pat Richards didn't back up your stupid pass on 05 anyway.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Why is it that it's the Kiwis and Polynesians who can't nut this out?

Not sure it's totally confined to these groups - but it smacks of arrogance and immaturity. And a sense of entitlement that comes from having such a meteoric rise and not having to forge a career in the real world.

I also think that devious managers are a bigtime bad influence on some players.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
"The saddest part of all of this is the boy is 24 next Monday," Tauber said. "If you were 24, or 23 as he is today, and somebody tells you that they're going to ban you, what do you think that does to his attitude to the game? He feels that the game which he's loved and supported … his opportunities are limited and if they say he can't do those things, they're driving a wedge in."

If you really love the game that much Benji, you wouldn't be wanting to go and play kick and clap.

alien

Referee
i cant believe you idiots are actually agreeing with gallop. maybe you're just jealous that he can make $1,000,000 in 10 weeks.

Bulldog Force

Referee
My 2 cents: Benji wants to sue the NRL... on what grounds? Based on what? He got NO grounds to sue the game. If he breaches the NRL rules and his contract for that matter, it will be torn up and he has no legs to stand on. The guy is digging a big hole for himself that he won't be able to get out of.

Having said that though, Benny Elias last night raised a good point and said that if Benji want's to play a couple of games of Rugby so he can get a few extra dollars then let him, rather than lose another player to Rugby.

Gallop is a log.

He keeps suggesting this and suggesting that but he says nothing.

Here's a thought Dave...

Just stop anyone who goes to Union from re-joining the NRL period. If Benji goes after his contract has ended, he's entitled to do that. There isn't a court on the planet that can stop him.

But don't let him back at all. Or Sooky Bill, Gasnier, Gower, sh*tcockski etc. Yep, make it retrospective and don't allow any of them back into the NRL.

Mr Saab

Referee
The salary cap is garbage. You want to restrict what a person can earn, then deal with the consequences of slave labour.

Get rid of the cap and lets watch the NRL with 8 clubs...sure would be an exiciting comp...and we would also see channel 9 and fox pay about 1 billion combined for the TV rights. :sarcasm:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't see the harm in benji playing a few games of Union, unless it results in him playing for peanuts at the Tigers because he doesn't need the money.

The way I see it, if Benji gains a large fanbase while playing Union then fans are going to want to see more of him afterwards which could lead them to league.

Yes Coke wouldn't let one of its employees go and work for Pepsi, but if Coke had the opportunity to slap a giant Coke banner on a Pepsi truck you damn right they would. Treat Marshall as a human billboard for league, hell, make it part of the deal.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I saw t interview that article was based on and it certainly takes a few liberties imo.

I would not have drawn the same conclusions after hearing the interview as the writer did, but then again, I dont have to sell newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong_eagle
If I work for Coke, I'm not going to be allowed to go to Pepsi for a few months."

As a matter of fact ( working for pepsi ) we were not allowed to bring coke products on site.

Jimmy The Judge

Juniors
Looks like I'm in the minority here but Gallop (and the the NRL) are up their own arses trying to tell a player what he can do off season or tell a club when they can and can't play someone (disciplinary issues aside).

Does anyone seriously think Benji playing 10 games for some Jap outfit, in a nothing comp, is giving kick and clap a leg up ? It's clear he's totally using them for 1 thing and 1 thing only.

If allowing Marshall (or any other player) a short spell in Union means that these top players ultimately spend the vast majority of their careers playing our great game then it should be encouraged not blocked.

Would Gallop have an issue if an NRL player happened to be a top 20/20 criketer and wanted 3 months out (mainly in off season) to play in the IPL ?

It should be his choice just as it should be Wests choice to allow him to go and risk him coming back knackered or (even more) injury prone.

The Colonel

Immortal
Looks like I'm in the minority here but Gallop (and the the NRL) are up their own arses trying to tell a player what he can do off season or tell a club when they can and can't play someone (disciplinary issues aside).

Does anyone seriously think Benji playing 10 games for some Jap outfit, in a nothing comp, is giving kick and clap a leg up ? It's clear he's totally using them for 1 thing and 1 thing only.

If allowing Marshall (or any other player) a short spell in Union means that these top players ultimately spend the vast majority of their careers playing our great game then it should be encouraged not blocked.

Would Gallop have an issue if an NRL player happened to be a top 20/20 criketer and wanted 3 months out (mainly in off season) to play in the IPL ?

It should be his choice just as it should be Wests choice to allow him to go and risk him coming back knackered or (even more) injury prone.

Actually they are well within their rights. The contracts the players sign have a clause that states they are not allowed to play in another rival competition without consent.

Bulldog Force

Referee

You raised a very good point, but my question is, a lot of the teams resume training in the off season, so while the rest of the players are back in training, Benji will still be in Japan playing a totally different game and getting paid for it and still getting paid by the Tigers while not even training with them. It's not really fair in that regard. It'll also interfer with his preparation for the coming season.

alien

Referee
If the Wests Tigers don't have a problem with Benji playing union in the offseason then the NRL should stay out of it. Ofcourse it's probably best for WT to sign Benji without him going over to union in the offseason but if thats what it takes to keep him then so be it.

I don't think the NRL are in the position to be so demanding. They will loose all their best players if they don't stop being so arrogant. Gallop get stuffed you wanker.

Jimmy The Judge

Juniors
The Colonel...I have no knowledge of the wording of players contracts with the NRL so couldn't possibly argue with you on that. However I don't think the NRL would want such an issue being tested in court.

I realise he will be in Japan when Wests are training and getting very well paid for that. However this is/and should be Wests choice....risk him coming back lame and pay him less for the time he's not there. Also clearly state in his contract with the Japenese club that compensation will be paid for any injuries incurred.

I still don't think Gallop realises the threat RU - particularly France and Japan - pose in terms of piching top RL talent. The days of loyalty are mainly a thing of the past. PROFESSIONAL sportsmen (particularly those in such a sport as rugby) are interested in securin their futures while they can.

Get wise NRL/Gallop and be flexible or sadly risk losing more top players for good to the dark side.