What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

The Engineers Room

First Grade
This is another example of why the salary cap is an inferior system to a points cap system.

If the Tigers want to offer him more then they could but no team could hoard the best talent as they would have a cap on points. The points would be determined based on NRL/ESL experience (number of games), rep honours, junior rep honours with concessions for player long service.

They should also set up a player superannuation system, where the player only gets 80-90% of their salary and the rest is paid to them when they retire as long as they don't defect to ESL or Rugby Union.

OVP

Coach
Anyone who agrees with Gallop is a deadset r-tard. Benji has started the ball rolling, there will be mass defections after this. Who wants to work for a Commie employer ? The NRL restrict EVERY single earning opportunity for the top players. I wouldnt work for the NRL if i was a top player, would you ?

Last edited:
Using tactics to strongarm players into being loyal to Das Furher (NRL) isn't going to work and will cause resentment.

Everyone has bargaining power. Clubs and NRL have the power of bring able to offer a player a chance to make a wage and play in a comp. And players have the power of being able to shop around their talents. Trying to make it only one sided and dictate from a position of weakness of all things which the NRL is in here is only going to sh1t where they eat.

tiger_nick

Bench
What part of under contract don't you understand? A contract doesn't just end after the last league game of the season.
I highly doubt the Tigers would have a contract drawn up for such a important player as Benji, that opens him up to a greater potential of injury and as such impacts on the entire season.

theyve said they will. they are willing to let his contract expire at the end of this season, and not re sign him until after he has come back from japan. he is effectivly a free agent! how the nrl can stop him registering is beyond me.

put it this way, if next march lote tuquri decides he has had enough of union and gets out of his contract. the broncos are all set to sign him, do you honestly think the nrl would say no?

how is that any different?

The Colonel

Immortal
I've been a bit confused on the whole contract issue thing and when it was being signed but if what is being proposed then the stance isn't based on him signing a contract to come back to the Tigers. It is at signing a contract that is less than what he is worth on the open market which gives the Tigers an unfair advantage in terms of signing top talent at way under market value. If he agrees to sign at market value then I doubt there would be a huge issue.

Godz Illa

Coach
The salary cap consideration is moot really, imo. Sure the Tigers might benefit from having Benji play yawn yawn in Japan as the supplementary income means they won't have to pay him the absolute maximum he is worth; but they'll be taking a big risk to do so ie probability of injury or burnout, and lack of a normal pre-season. It's their choice, ultimately.

tiger_nick

Bench
I've been a bit confused on the whole contract issue thing and when it was being signed but if what is being proposed then the stance isn't based on him signing a contract to come back to the Tigers. It is at signing a contract that is less than what he is worth on the open market which gives the Tigers an unfair advantage in terms of signing top talent at way under market value. If he agrees to sign at market value then I doubt there would be a huge issue.

so all your concerned about is that the tigers might get an advantage from being able tosign benji for lets say $100k? imo this again is only a good thing. it will keep more and more players in the game.

yes im a tigers fan however i would be more then happy for greg inglis to go play union in the off season for say $900k then come back and sign with the storm for $100k. it will keep more players in the game and create more one team players. these again are only good things for the nrl

The Colonel

Immortal
so all your concerned about is that the tigers might get an advantage from being able tosign benji for lets say $100k? imo this again is only a good thing. it will keep more and more players in the game.

yes im a tigers fan however i would be more then happy for greg inglis to go play union in the off season for say $900k then come back and sign with the storm for $100k. it will keep more players in the game and create more one team players. these again are only good things for the nrl

What if the NRL allowed Melbourne to have Inglis, Smith, Cronk, Slater and Hoffmann to go and play Union in Japan, come home and sign for $100,000 a season and then they were able to sign a couple of more star players from other clubs, including say Chris Heighington, as they have space under the cap because they now only pay $500,000 for five players instead of around $2 million plus.

What you have to realise is the moment they allow one player they have to allow all players...... it one just be one player from each team.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
So we start with Benji going. Then what happens when Inglis, cutie, Jarred Hayne, and Thurston want to go. What happens when they get injured and there clubs are left without there players for an extended period of time.

Sure it could be left up to the tigers- but there management is inept and this decision could effect the majority of the league. I mean- the tigers have 24 players signed for there top 25 and are pressing the cap . Is this the only way they could keep marshall in the future by allowing him to play japanese rugby and topping up his coffers?

barney gumble

Juniors
What if the NRL allowed Melbourne to have Inglis, Smith, Cronk, Slater and Hoffmann to go and play Union in Japan, come home and sign for $100,000 a season and then they were able to sign a couple of more star players from other clubs, including say Chris Heighington, as they have space under the cap because they now only pay $500,000 for five players instead of around $2 million plus.

What you have to realise is the moment they allow one player they have to allow all players...... it one just be one player from each team.

Couldn't agree more.
This potentially sets a dangerous precedent. Benji owes the Tigers and the NRL his full committment considering the amount of money he's been paid to the amount of footy he's actually played over the last few seasons. Smells a little like SBW to me.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I used to worry a bit about gifted players expressing a desire to switch codes until I saw last seasons under 20s comp and realised theres a production line of talent out there. Bye Benji.

Gus22

Juniors
The salary cap consideration is moot really, imo. Sure the Tigers might benefit from having Benji play yawn yawn in Japan as the supplementary income means they won't have to pay him the absolute maximum he is worth; but they'll be taking a big risk to do so ie probability of injury or burnout, and lack of a normal pre-season. It's their choice, ultimately.

Spot on. Now if Gallop would only pull his head up out of his own arse & survey the landscape in 2009, he might just come to this realisation.

If he wants to stop Union raiding League's talent pool on a permanent basis (as in Super 14 or Euro Rugby), then (off season) compromises like Benji is proposing might be a good thing.

Lads,

The issue I have is that Benji will be off contract when he goes.

So in effect he will be contracted to no organisation.

Who then has the power to stop him from going if he is not contracted to anyone or anything?

I can understand (maybe) the NRL blocking him from coming back, but man o man give a little bit of slack.

The NRL should stay out.

If the Tigers let him go and he comes back to our game as a Tiger who is the loser here?

The NRL is becoming a despotic organisation and being very, very narrow minded in all of this.

Thanks

Bubbles

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Yes- but what if more players look to go.

Our top tier of players 'underdone', 'overworked', or injured during the 2010. Teams disorganized as there top players aren't at preseason training. Do you think it'd stop with just one player going. The league gains nothing.

tiger_nick

Bench

well then it just comes down to good management. whats to stop penrith from coming in and offering slater $400k plus letting him go to union in the off season? in the end players will still come and go from clubs. however the important thing is they will stay in the nrl.

HevyDevy

Coach
One of the primary reasons any player would contemplate this is financial, so I can't see them accepting a vastly smaller NRL contract just because they're on good books playing rugby. Sort of defeats the purpose of going in the first place.

As it stands, if I was Tigers CEO I wouldn't be too thrilled with one of my star players heading elsewhere in the off-season.

Mr Saab

Referee
well then it just comes down to good management. whats to stop penrith from coming in and offering slater $400k plus letting him go to union in the off season? in the end players will still come and go from clubs. however the important thing is they will stay in the nrl.

If that scenario you quoted actually happens in a couple of years you would spew corn/carrots/broccoli/t bone steak if the Storm signed Heinington because the Storm had alot of money under the cap.

Snoz

Juniors
wish the media would realise that there are approx 270 other players on the NRL - would like to hear about some other players/news other than Benji to be honest

PJ

First Grade
It is at signing a contract that is less than what he is worth on the open market which gives the Tigers an unfair advantage in terms of signing top talent at way under market value

Not really as he is off contract with the Tigers and is just as free to sign on with another club who would allow him to do the same thing. For arguements sake say the Tigers are offering him $100k per season for the new deal when he comes back from Japan, there is nothing to stop any other club offering him $200k when comes back. The Tigers still have to convince him to re-sign with them the same as any other player off contract, only difference is he is trying to supplement his income in the off season. Market forces will still apply to any new NRL contract.