What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji To Play against Parramatta

saint.nick

Coach
Yeah you're right, but at least Gaz was around a premiership winning team in that game. Marshall was playing in utter shit today. I couldn't watch it, had a soccer game to play but recorded it, parents told me not to even bother watching it, so it must have been f**king horrible. I heard some mistakes Marshall made happened with the game well and truly over anyway...

stgill2001

Juniors
All said and done,Benji played exactly the way the team is coached to play.He did not look out of place,if anything,he actually looked better than a lot of them out there.
Got in and had a go and when everything is not going your way then things just go downhill.
We can't blame Benji for that poor performance as he was not backed by a team willing to work hard for each other.
In 2010 we didn't have a massive pack or dynamic halves.But what we did have was mongrel,attitude and discipline.Guys like Jeremy Smith,Neville Costigan and Beau Scott were not giants but they had the ability to put fear into oppositions.
we lack that big time.

getsmarty

Immortal
ew Dragons recruit Marshall may play for Illawarra Cutters

By Paul Haigh

May 19, 2014, 11:53 a.m.

Dragons vs Eels

New recruit Benji Marshall may turn out for the Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup at Henson Park on Saturday as the Dragons have a bye this weekend.
Marshall, 29, made a return to rugby league in his Dragons colours for the first time on Saturday against Parramatta who thrashed the Dragons 36-0.
Marshall’s return was scratchy and he needs more time to adjust to the speed and tempo of the game.
Dragons coach Steve Price will meet with Illawarra Cutters coach Ian Millward, today, Monday, to discuss Marshall.
After the bye, the Dragons play Souths in round eleven on Monday, June 2, at ANZ Stadium.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/2...shall-may-play-for-illawarra-cutters/?cs=1633

GT0007

Juniors
Price has to be sacked tonite in a late phone hook up between the directors appoint Henry or brown giving them 2 weeks to get the team in shape before next game against rabbits.

Players are as much to blame but unfortunately u can't sack 16 players - Price has to go..

Brw These are the worst pack of forwards I have ever seen .
De Bellin, Hunt, Ah Mau, Mathews are all reserve grade players.. Please people stop saying Debellin is a good player.. He's the new Prior!!

If I had to rely on one player to make a tackle against the biggest monsters in the comp it would be JDB everyday of the week. Matthews didnt get much of any game time till the 2nd half and while I'm not a fan he earnt some respect with some solid defense. Au Mau should not be our biggest player but he is and he should get back to acting like it as he was. Hunt (2 runs, 8mtrs, 21mins) should be stamped never to play NRL again due to missed tackles and submittinwg with the ball.

Every game this year we have been atrocious in the ruck but it improved this week and we screw that with 50% completions. Refs compounded I as well and we gifted penalties. If we get it right our fwds will do ok as long as we relegate Harrison and Hunt.

GT0007

Juniors
All said and done,Benji played exactly the way the team is coached to play.He did not look out of place,if anything,he actually looked better than a lot of them out there.
Got in and had a go and when everything is not going your way then things just go downhill.
We can't blame Benji for that poor performance as he was not backed by a team willing to work hard for each other.
In 2010 we didn't have a massive pack or dynamic halves.But what we did have was mongrel,attitude and discipline.Guys like Jeremy Smith,Neville Costigan and Beau Scott were not giants but they had the ability to put fear into oppositions.
we lack that big time.

Your correct but as the year slips away so does the attitude. I thought Benji fitted in well and was committed in defense, too much focus on his errors as they weren't all his fault but played up in the media and a potential try from a very good pass was called back. In 2010 Soward was one of the best halves to play the game but the one thing that is missing is what Hornby said.........
If someone makes a mistake we do the right thing and defend the error and look after our mate!

I think a big thing was Bennett's aura and the team trusted him and worked for him but in the end he also lost the playing group and didn't have the answers. If you get everything right u will win 1 game then maybe 2. Success breeds success

Surrogate

Juniors
The decision to play Benji against the sharks was mind boggling. I thought it would have been sensible to season him in reserve grade first, but I'm not surprised given a coach who is impulsive.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
The decision to play Benji against the sharks was mind boggling. I thought it would have been sensible to season him in reserve grade first, but I'm not surprised given a coach who is impulsive.

Did you mean the Parramatta Sharks?
Kinda like the the Cronulla Sutherland Hawks and Manly Warringah Seagulls I suspect
:D

Mr Red

First Grade
"he needs more time to adjust to the speed and tempo of the game."...

jesus, he was out of the game a few months, they make it sound like he has been missing for years...
the guy is seriously over weight, and its affected his speed and elusiveness... but thats not a new thing, he has been overweight for the last 2 seasons at the tigers...

Mr Red

First Grade
Benji should be at Weight watchers rather then playing for the cutters..
He currently has a barge ass that could compete with Joey Johns at his peak.. if only his form was as good.

Godz Illa

Coach
Benji should be at Weight watchers rather then playing for the cutters..
He currently has a barge ass that could compete with Joey Johns at his peak.. if only his form was as good.
You're pushing this overweight line pretty hard. Are you sure he is? He mentioned arriving here 7 or 8 kgs lighter than when he left the Tigers. Maybe it's the jersey making him look big. It tends to do that

twinkletoes

Juniors
You're pushing this overweight line pretty hard. Are you sure he is? He mentioned arriving here 7 or 8 kgs lighter than when he left the Tigers. Maybe it's the jersey making him look big. It tends to do that

Funny that..it has the opposite effect on our forward pack....

Mr Red

First Grade

the weight is in his ass and thighs so not the jersey...
if he is 7kg's lighter than at the tigers he is still about 4-5 kg overweight IMO.
i also think its muscle weight loss from not playing and training - and replaced with fat - which could actually make him look larger even if lighter..

there were a few times when he tried to turn, chase and accelerate and it was like watching the queen mary try and turn around... he simply couldnt get going... a very worrying sign.

GT0007

Juniors
From the NRL site and I agree with all of it!

Benji wasn’t that bad

What did you really expect? A guy who had been out of form for two years and recently ended a failed switch to rugby union was never going to run out in his NRL comeback and kill it.

But did Benji really stink as badly as some of the analyses have suggested? Nah.

The no-look pass that put Mike Cooper over for a disallowed try looked as though it was flat, not forward, and should have got the green light. His audacious kick from a tap nearly resulted in points and showed his sense of the outrageous hasn’t evaporated.

He defended pretty well for a guy with no match fitness that has copped grief for his tackling throughout his career. So he made a few errors, was generally rusty and didn’t immediately click with Gareth Widdop, with whom he shared a single training session in the lead-up? No massive shock.

He copped a quick reminder that league fans are hard markers, with the chant of “Benji” ringing around Pirtek Stadium during his toil. Are we really going to death-ride the guy? If you aren’t prepared to dub him an all-time great, you’ve at least got to admit he’s fun to watch and his enthusiasm for his comeback should produce a few moments of magic.
http://www.nrl.com/monday-smelling-salts/tabid/10874/newsid/78566/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
Benji Marshall: Dragons fans shouldn't expect miracles

By JAMES MACSMITH

May 22, 2014, 9:30 p.m.

Benji Marshall struggled in his debut for the Dragons against Parramatta. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

RUGBY LEAGUE

Benji Marshall has been thrown in the deep end at St George Illawarra but his brilliance will shine through in time.
That is the assessment of Dragons star Trent Merrin, who says Marshall can help turn around the battling NRL club, who have won just one of their past seven games.
The Dragons have hit the wall after an impressive start to the year and while Marshall was never touted as the saviour, his first-up effort in the 36-0 capitulation to Parramatta has many wondering what he has to offer the joint venture.

But NSW back-rower Merrin is confident the former Wests Tigers superstar will come good.
"It was a struggle for him to come into a game like that in his first week at the club," Merrin said.
"But I am excited for him, he is definitely going to have a point to prove and he has the skill and maturity to be able to do so.
"I'm sure there is a lot more of Benji to come.
"As soon as you start building confidence and belief and get that mateship around you, it brings out the best in everyone.
"We will give him a few weeks to settle in at the club and make himself feel at home and then I think you will see the best in him."
The Dragons have the bye this weekend, but despite the start of the State of Origin period the focus has not been taken off the future of coach Steve Price, with Blues mentor Laurie Daley linked to St George Illawarra.
Merrin said the players should be under pressure, too.
"We have been all over the shop, we need to have a good look inside the club and take some ownership of what is going wrong," he said.
"It is not the best place at the moment.
"But all the boys have faith in Steve, of course he is going to be under the pump, he is the coach of the team.
"They always look at the coach when the team is going poor, there is some pressure there but we are all behind him.
"We have to get out of the slump we are in, step up and enjoy our footy."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...dragons-fans-shouldnt-expect-miracles/?cs=302

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
Our whole backline has been thrown in the deep end behind our forward pack. If only they would step up and show some heart and courage and provide some space for what is a very good backline to do something.

getsmarty

Immortal
Benji Marshall still a chance for start with Cutters

By MITCH JENNINGS

May 22, 2014, 9:30 p.m.
Ian Kirk with the trophy named after his father Tom. Picture: CHRISTOPHER CHAN

NSW CUP

Cutters coach Ian Millward left the door open for Benji Marshall to be a late addition to his side to face Newtown on Saturday, but says the decision ultimately rests with Dragons coach Steve Price.
Marshall made a less than spectacular return to the NRL in his first match for the Dragons last week and this week's bye presented the opportunity for the former Tigers playmaker to sharpen his skills in the NSW Cup.
Marshall was not named in the Cutters side to face Newtown on Tuesday and Millward said he was happy to leave the decision on his availability to the head coach.

"That's something that's up to Steve and Benji," Millward said.
"We've got plenty of options there if he plays; if he doesn't there's plenty of blokes who'll seize that opportunity."
The Cutters will look to bounce back from a tough match with table-toppers Wentworthville last week in which they surrendered a 30-18 lead midway through the second half to go down 36-30.
A win would have taken the Cutters to the top of the NSW Cup ladder but Millward said his side learnt some lessons from the loss.
"We put ourselves in a lot of positions to win the game but through a lack of composure in attack and putting ourselves under a lot of pressure defensively, we let it get away," Millward said.
"I couldn't fault their attitude and their character so if we continue that, we'll do well."
Newtown sit 10th on the ladder with just three wins for the year but Millward expects the Jets to provide a formidable challenge.
"It's a tough league the NSW Cup. The scorelines haven't been a reflection of how tough it's been," Millward said.
"They might have started the season a little bit scratchy but they seem to be getting into a bit of a rhythm now.
"They had a really good away win against Wyong last week.
"We don't need to improve too much on last week, we just need to learn a couple of things."
The Cutters have the added incentive of retaining the Tom Kirk Cup in Saturday's fixture.
The trophy honours former Newtown great Tom Kirk, who was the first person to score 1000 career points in the NSW Rugby League.
Tom's son, Ian, a long-time rugby league administrator in the Illawarra, said it was an ongoing honour for his family.
"I've got to pay tribute to Bob Millward and the Illawarra Steelers board and the Newtown club for the honour," Kirk said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...still-a-chance-for-start-with-cutters/?cs=302

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
the weight is in his ass and thighs so not the jersey...
if he is 7kg's lighter than at the tigers he is still about 4-5 kg overweight IMO.
i also think its muscle weight loss from not playing and training - and replaced with fat - which could actually make him look larger even if lighter..

there were a few times when he tried to turn, chase and accelerate and it was like watching the queen mary try and turn around... he simply couldnt get going... a very worrying sign.

A very worrying sign.. the whole club is a worrying sign, Benji has brought class to this team, SAM WILLIAMS=WORRYING SIGN

Latest posts