What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

Brutus

Referee
So Benji doesn't want to ever play against Tigers and would never play for another NRL team as a result.

This obviously opens the door for a move to union.

Stop the bullshit Benji. Try showing loyalty to the sport that gave you a name.

I would prefer these high profile players show loyalty to the game rather than the club.

DC_fan

Coach
Marshall like a lot of players is loyal to no one but himself.

I have never been a fan of Marshall. IMO he is the most overrated player of all time. To me he has always come cross as a love me I am a fantastic player.

If he went to another sport I wouldn't miss him.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Meh.. he only has a few years left in his playing career so he may as well make as much as he can...

I dont believe he has the ability to move into a TV role after he has finished playing, which probably helped to keep the likes of Joey in NRL until he retired...

The way he is playing at the moment, he wont be missed on the field either...

shiznit

Coach
Marshall should be loyal to nobody but himself...

He's coming to the twiglight of his career, he needs to get as much money as he can for himself.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Loyalty to the sport?? Give me a f**king break.... For every big name player like Benji Marshall that makes a lot of money from this game there's a thousand nameless kids who have had theyre dreams shattered by the same game.

It's not just RL though.... that's the reality of pro sports.

As for the question of loyalty to club over sport... Your club mates are the guys you go to battle with week in week out for year after year. They are your brothers. That jersey you wear over that time means something to you. I can definitely see where he's coming from.

shiznit

Coach
Meh.. he only has a few years left in his playing career so he may as well make as much as he can...

I dont believe he has the ability to move into a TV role after he has finished playing, which probably helped to keep the likes of Joey in NRL until he retired...

The way he is playing at the moment, he wont be missed on the field either...

He will definitely be in the media when he's done... He's already over Channel 9.

I love joey... I think he's hilarious... But Benji is far more camera friendly and has more charisma than joey, freddy & gordie put together.

Mind you.... I thought Vossy was far better than Hadley... But 9 didn't think so...

Either way... If 9 don't pick him up... Sky NZ would take him in a heartbeat

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Bizarre comment. He's already all over the TV and clearly better suited to it than, say, Joey or Lockyer.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
As for the question of loyalty to club over sport... Your club mates are the guys you go to battle with week in week out for year after year. They are your brothers. That jersey you wear over that time means something to you. I can definitely see where he's coming from.

Where is benji coming from? he is trying to get more money by playing the union card.... again. every single time his contract comes up he plays this.

shiznit

Coach
Where is benji coming from? he is trying to get more money by playing the union card.... again. every single time his contract comes up he plays this.
So he's not allowed to explore all his options??

He's been approached to by a RU club to make a switch... That's a viable option for him.

The same way the tigers weren't willing to offer 9 year tiger chris heighington anymore than a 1 year extension on his contract last year.

Loyalty goes both ways...

gronkathon

First Grade
He is contracted for two more f**king years.

We have a lot of junior talent we need to secure and this merkin is ragging on about an extension that isn't needed for two f**king years.

f**k that gammy merkin

Stagger Lee

Bench

We have a lot of junior talent we need to secure and this merkin is ragging on about an extension that isn't needed for two f**king years.

Did Benji not hint on TV that his contract might not have two years remaining thanks to that shonky Stephen Humphreys?

gronkathon

First Grade
Did Benji not hint on TV that his contract might not have two years remaining thanks to that shonky Stephen Humphreys?

He has been handed the upgrade promised in his contract.

He is talking about an extension which was apparently a verbal one with Humpty. It is not a contractual obligation.

Seems Benji wants to follow his mate Beaus lead and try and leave and blame the club when in reality it is a decision they are making themselves

Stagger eel

Staff member
The tigers are in a real pickle over this, you either tie him up for close to a million a year whilst he produces the quality only worthy of a third of that or you don't sign him and it becomes a PR and marketing disaster off the field...

I wouldn't like to make the decision.

shiznit

Coach

f**k that gammy merkin

Hang on.... There was a clause in his contract that there would be a renegotiation for an upgrade if the salary cap increases.

Benji is just doing what hes entitiled to do.

I doubt Benji would have signed on for the length he did if they didn't put this clause in.

The tigers gambled that this was a safer option than signing him to a short term deal and letting him test the market when the cap increases.

Now his value had fallen and there left with no option but to either upgrade his contract to his liking or release him...

The only ones you should be pissed off with are the tigers

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The tigers are in a real pickle over this, you either tie him up for close to a million a year whilst he produces the quality only worthy of a third of that or you don't sign him and it becomes a PR and marketing disaster off the field...

I wouldn't like to make the decision.

its a tough decision. the problem i see with benchy is he hasnt really adapted his game as he's gotten older. all palyers slow down, they all lose the ability to be as agile or quick but they develop other strengths but benchy still thinks he's 19 living off that side step.

by now he should be a better ball player than he is and be able to control a game better. look at players like locky who used to be quick and a good runners, but as they got older had to depend on ballplaying and change how they play

if marshall wants to i still think he can be a good half but he doesnt seem interested this year for whatever reason. i've always thought he seems like the player who doesnt want to follow anyones gameplan but his own and that could be why he's clashing (allegedly) with potter

aqua_duck

Coach
The other night on the footy show Benji said he doesn't want to play for another NRL team, I reckon tigers fans would've been tempted to throw their phones/remote controls at the TV and fans of all 15 other teams breathed a massive sigh of relief