What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

some11

Referee
I understand not every play can go out like a champ but FFS what kind of legacy do you want to leave?

"Remember when Benji was jerking everyone around about his contract and playing like shit?"

kmav23

Juniors
Fmd! There is no such thing as loyalty in pro sport.

they are well paid, it's a job. Everyone has their price.

Stagger Lee

Bench
I am not seeing a lot of love for Benji on here. Benji (2013) may only be a shadow of Benji (2004 - 2011) but that is still greater than many of the gimps playing Five-eighth / halfback at the moment.

If he was to leave Wests but stay in the NRL I'm sure the Dragons would offer him a contract being as desperate as we are.

Loudstrat

Coach
Lol @ loyalty to your sport. Loyalty to your family comes first.
And where does it say Benji would be disloyal to his family if he left the Tigers you twat?

Benji's bargaining power died when he stopped being a reliable playmaker. Any wonder they bought Anasta?

To me, you cant talk about loyalty f you are going to another sport. PLenty f players have swapped clubs without compromising their loyalty - to take a better offer or because they were forced out.

To me, you cant talk about loyalty if you are about to dump your code.

Brutus

Referee
And where does it say Benji would be disloyal to his family if he left the Tigers you twat?

Benji's bargaining power died when he stopped being a reliable playmaker. Any wonder they bought Anasta?

To me, you cant talk about loyalty f you are going to another sport. PLenty f players have swapped clubs without compromising their loyalty - to take a better offer or because they were forced out.

To me, you cant talk about loyalty if you are about to dump your code.

Spot on.

aqua_duck

Coach
I am not seeing a lot of love for Benji on here. Benji (2013) may only be a shadow of Benji (2004 - 2011) but that is still greater than many of the gimps playing Five-eighth / halfback at the moment.

based on this year alone I'd rate him in the bottom tier of 5/8ths in the comp, which is a problem when he's the highest paid

NrlCoach

Juniors
Watch the telecrap give it to the nrl next year for letting benji go to union.... Even though they the telecrap are currently encouraging the tiger to get ride of him with theire article out each week

Red Bear

Referee
Hasnt Marshall long had nothing to do with the Telegraph? Wouldn't take anything they say about him seriously.

Anyway, I think Marshall was a fantastic player, especially across 09-11 when his body was finally right and he was really quick, and frankly I hope he gets back to that level. There was a period there he was close to best in the world, more consistent with his play (although still had mistakes in him by the nature of the way he played the game) and could do stuff no one else could. As a league fan I enjoyed watching that.

kmav23

Juniors
Benji playing for a crap team does not help.

If he was plying in a dominant pack things would be different

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs to move to another club to give him a new challenge, could go to warriors, imagine a creative spine of Marshall, Johnson and Tomkins. Damn that salary cap!

I don't think Benji owes RL anything anymore. I've told Matthew Morgan a Welsh five-eighth that he should go to RL, as in my opinion he doesn't owe the Welsh Rugby Union anything. Inasmuch that they've stopped children from have the opportunity to try both codes.

Brutus

Referee
I don't think Benji owes RL anything anymore. I've told Matthew Morgan a Welsh five-eighth that he should go to RL, as in my opinion he doesn't owe the Welsh Rugby Union anything. Inasmuch that they've stopped children from have the opportunity to try both codes.

Wtf.

Is this Michael Mogo guy a strong brand within welsh yawnion?

Benji is a strong brand within the NRL and kids love him. I don't want to see players of his marketability lost . Would love to see Benji finish his career at the Tigers, but if not get a fresh start at another club. The Warriors would be perfect.

If Marshall wants to go, let him go, why should he stay in rugby league? He's on the downward spiral now, he's had a few operations over the years, can he train to any high intensity anymore? That's why he's losing his sharpness and speed.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
The thing that made Benji a good player was his running game and footwork (his kicking and padding game are average at best, defence is amongst the worst in the NRL). I haven't seen him take on the line in god knows how long, can't even remember what the trademark sidestep looks like, the problem is he's list all his speed, that was evident in the all stars game when he took an intercept and was run down within 30m despite a 5-10m head start and also evident when James Tamou ran him down last year. I suspect he knows this and that's why he's not running the ball anymore, I've seen instances where there is a gap that you could park a semi trailer in and Benji hasn't tried to run though it.
The question is, just as a kicking and passing 5/8th what is he worth?

betcats

Referee
Almost hope he does go, f**kin pathetic listening to the channel 9 commentators try to talk him up while he playing so shit. Does the bloke seriously think he is worth more atm? I got nothing against someone getting their money but why the f**k does he think hes worth more playing worse footy?

Sheensy and the Tigers pussy footed around this guy to long.

Latest posts