What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

firechild

First Grade
So Benji doesn't want to ever play against Tigers and would never play for another NRL team as a result.

This obviously opens the door for a move to union.

Stop the bullshit Benji. Try showing loyalty to the sport that gave you a name.

I would prefer these high profile players show loyalty to the game rather than the club.

Couldn't disagree more. I like that some players are so loyal to their club they refuse to play against them. Steve Menzies said years ago that he would never play against Manly and when his time at the club was up he left for the UK rather than play for a rival NRL side. Apparently Wayne Bennett has been on the phone to him offering him a contract at the Knights in order to add some youth to the pack but Beaver won't play against Manly. He has hinted that he could make himself available for Manly next year to cover injuries if required.

On Benji, he's a greedy merkin who isn't worth the cash he's asking for.

gronkathon

First Grade
Hang on.... There was a clause in his contract that there would be a renegotiation for an upgrade if the salary cap increases.

Benji is just doing what hes entitiled to do.

I doubt Benji would have signed on for the length he did if they didn't put this clause in.

The tigers gambled that this was a safer option than signing him to a short term deal and letting him test the market when the cap increases.

Now his value had fallen and there left with no option but to either upgrade his contract to his liking or release him...

The only ones you should be pissed off with are the tigers

I have zero issue with the upgrade. It is in his contract. Get it done and do the right thing. There is obviously no set figure in his contract about what that upgrade is to be in exact dollar or percentage terms or it would have been automatic. Obviously Benji wants more then the club is willing to give though

I have issue with him poncing about on TV crying about a contract extension when he has two years to run on his existing contract. That is what I am upset about as a fan.

Every contract discussion he and that shady prick Tauber bring up Union as a threat. I think this time around Wests Tigers and RL in general are in a good position to call his bluff

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hang on.... There was a clause in his contract that there would be a renegotiation for an upgrade if the salary cap increases.

Benji is just doing what hes entitiled to do.

I doubt Benji would have signed on for the length he did if they didn't put this clause in.

The tigers gambled that this was a safer option than signing him to a short term deal and letting him test the market when the cap increases.

Now his value had fallen and there left with no option but to either upgrade his contract to his liking or release him...

The only ones you should be pissed off with are the tigers
My understanding is that the salary increase would be for the remaining years on his current deal, if the cap increases.

He's trying to get 2 extra years on top of his current term at the higher rate.

Tigers offered him what's in his contract, an upgraded salary for the remainder of his current contract.

Tigers gave him what he wanted when he signed that deal. If Benji doesn't like than Benji only has himself to blame. That was a clause he had added to the last contract.

He's a greedy idiot who has been playing at about 32% of his ability since the end of the 2011 finals series.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Benji is keen on Union the Tigers should offer him as a swap deal with the Waratahs for Israel Folau.

Win win for everybody... :sarcasm:
We're probably the only club who doesn't need Folau.

What with Tedesco, Meaney, Moltzen, Simona, Ayshford, Lawrence, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Taqele, Tuqiri, Utai, Reddy and Richards coming next year, we really don't need anymore backs. With any luck, 4 of those mentioned will get the boot this year.

kbw

Bench
Sorry but I support club loyalty and I am surprised that fans can't see it.
Fans in the majority are very loyal to the club they support. As a fan of a club I want the players playing the best they can for my club, but I also want them to have some feeling of loyalty and passion for the club. Benji obviously has this

I like Benji cos of what he's done for my country but his appearance on the Footy Show last week really irked me. It wasn't what he said, just the fact that he was on the show. It was like he thought "OK we've won a couple games, I can go back on TV now."....He should keep his head off TV permanently and concentrate on his game.

I can't see him moving back to NZ and playing yawnion. He strikes me as extremely pussy whipped, and I doubt his Mrs wants to move to Auckland and earn less money doing whatever she does. I remember Benji said she earned more money than he does (dunno if that was a joke though).

My understanding is that the salary increase would be for the remaining years on his current deal, if the cap increases.

He's trying to get 2 extra years on top of his current term at the higher rate.

Tigers offered him what's in his contract, an upgraded salary for the remainder of his current contract.

Tigers gave him what he wanted when he signed that deal. If Benji doesn't like than Benji only has himself to blame. That was a clause he had added to the last contract.

He's a greedy idiot who has been playing at about 32% of his ability since the end of the 2011 finals series.

He reached an agreement with Humpty Dumpty for the two extra years, but he's gone and Mayer isn't to keen on the deal. Given Humpty is responsible for the fact we still can't get rid of Sheens, I don't think it was a bad move on Mayer's part.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He's too arrogant for TV, doesn't have the common touch.

Why, because he doesn't speak like your standard working class ocker bloke who says "mate" every third word? Personally I reckon it'd be good to have someone with a bit more class that those boofheads Johns, Fittler and Lockyer on screen occasionally.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
What?? Someone trying to earn more money?? No way...

Good on him I say. I am not one of those blokes that cries about loyalty. This is sport. Loyalty died when money was involved.

aqua_duck

Coach
What?? Someone trying to earn more money?? No way...

Good on him I say. I am not one of those blokes that cries about loyalty. This is sport. Loyalty died when money was involved.

I personally think its abit low what he's doing to the club, his form ATM isn't far off NSW cup standard and he's trying to milk the tigers for every last penny even though he's playing atrocious football. The fact that he knows he's playing like a busted and still acting like an entitled prick irks me

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
How many players devalue themselves?

He has a few years left in him (based on age), you would think he knows this and wants to be set for life. What he is lacking at the moment he makes up for in sponsorship and general fan appeal to the younger fans. Kids still yell out, "Benji" when they put on a side step.

I agree with the majority that he probably doesn't deserve an extension with the same salary. The tigers walked into this problem by stripping the team and are now too scared to let him go.

perverse

Referee
He is taking the piss asking for an extension and more money at the moment. If I were the Tigers, I'd pack his bags for him and see him off to Rugby. Holds the club to ransom whenever it suits him... and he's earning way, way more than he is worth as it is. His ego probably won't let him admit that to himself, though. He still thinks it's 2005.

Spot On

Coach
Why, because he doesn't speak like your standard working class ocker bloke who says "mate" every third word? Personally I reckon it'd be good to have someone with a bit more class that those boofheads Johns, Fittler and Lockyer on screen occasionally.

Does he really have more "class" than those three?

aqua_duck

Coach
How many players devalue themselves?

He has a few years left in him (based on age), you would think he knows this and wants to be set for life. What he is lacking at the moment he makes up for in sponsorship and general fan appeal to the younger fans. Kids still yell out, "Benji" when they put on a side step.

I agree with the majority that he probably doesn't deserve an extension with the same salary. The tigers walked into this problem by stripping the team and are now too scared to let him go.

Kids yelling out "Benji" won't help when he's getting run over by Scott Prince, or when he's throwing the ball into the crowd, or not finding touch from a penalty........

Latest posts