What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett apologises for Darius after monosyballic media conference

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ence-performance/story-e6frexnr-1225763480341

ST George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett has taken the extraordinary step of apologising to journalists after fullback Darius Boyd produced a press conference stonewall to rival the boss.
Boyd delivered one sentence responses to eight questions posed to him at training in Wollongong on Tuesday before the assembled reporters gave up and condemned the Test star for wasting their time.
The 22-year-old's performance didn't sit well with Bennett either as the coach reportedly spoke to Boyd about his disrespectful interview and then offered an apology to the gathered press.
Ironically, Boyd's performance was similar to the contemptuous effort of Bennett in 2007 when he offered one-line responses to questioning in a post-match press conference that was broadcast live on Fox Sports.
Below is a transcript of Boyd's short press conference in Wollongong on Tuesday:
Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates?
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

A: Yeah, can't wait.
Q: That excited?
A: Yep.
Q: Did you watch them play last week?
A: No I didn't.
Q: What's the strategy going into the game?
A: We'll decide that on Wednesday I suppose.
Q: Happy to score another try, it was a good one?
A: Yeah, it was good, eh.
Q: Second one of the season, it's taken a while, you must be keen to be coming into form at the right time of the season.
A: No it was good.
Q: What are your thoughts on the way your team is going at the moment Darius?
A: Um, yeah, it was pretty good, eh.
Q: Are you fair dinkum?
A: Yeah.
It is not the first time Dragons players have been accused of contempt towards the media, with prop Justin Poore last week slammed for offering a short statement after a successful NRL judiciary hearing that cleared him to play on the weekend.
It is believed Bennett apologised to some reporters for that incident, taking responsibility for their behaviour as he had asked the players not to say too much.
Unfortunately, he later explained, the players thought he meant say nothing at all.
At least in-form five-eighth Jamie Soward offered an insight into the NRL title favourites on Tuesday, giving his first media interview in a few weeks.
While Soward bristled at questions over his own good form, and potential to be included on the Kangaroos end of season tour, he did reveal the Dragons were "filthy" over last Saturday's loss to Canberra and were looking to rebound against Brisbane at WIN Stadium on Friday night.
"Every time you lose it's a bad thing and for us we went down there and got beat and we have moved on," said Soward.
"I think the Dragons of old might have dwelled on that and let it affect us for a couple of days.
"But we had a few days off and you just watched training this morning, we were pretty sharp."
The clash with Brisbane is vitally important for both clubs - a win would put the Dragons closer to the minor premiership while the Broncos simply must win to retain their place in the top eight.
"Brisbane are always a dangerous team and obviously they will be up to try and prove something to Benny (former coach Bennett)," said Soward.

The offending audio: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/18/2659332.htm

Gaba

First Grade
If the media was that concern about the game, they done nothing publicy critizing the telegraph for thier propaganda, and deserves everyting they get.

Media showed once again they are hypocrits of the highest order

Timmah

Staff member
Fair call on the media being hypocrites but the blokes taking notes and doing interviews at press conferences generally aren't the ones doing the damage to the game. It wasn't fair on some of the media there who normally do the right thing, and it was quite simply childish.

saints_fireup

Juniors
It was childish. In fairness, he is a shy fellow and I think he misinterpreted the directive from Bennett not to be too elaborate.

Plus, the media got the disdain they deserve.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Fair call on the media being hypocrites but the blokes taking notes and doing interviews at press conferences generally aren't the ones doing the damage to the game. It wasn't fair on some of the media there who normally do the right thing, and it was quite simply childish.
Why? It just gives them more ammo to write garbage against the club. I'd prefer players offer no quotes, than be friendly in an interview only to have the telegraph write more garbage about the club.

It may have been childish, but the media deserve the same respect they've shown our club over the last week. I feel for the other journos out there doing the right thing, but deadset the trash they've come up with over the last week deserves nothing less, to be honest, I think he said too much.

Karmawave

Bench
In fairness, he is a shy fellow and I think he misinterpreted the directive from Bennett not to be too elaborate.

What a load of tripe. He is an arrogant egotist of the highest order, who the Broncos were not disappointed to see the back of.

Timmah

Staff member
Why? It just gives them more ammo to write garbage against the club. I'd prefer players offer no quotes, than be friendly in an interview only to have the telegraph write more garbage about the club.

It may have been childish, but the media deserve the same respect they've shown our club over the last week. I feel for the other journos out there doing the right thing, but deadset the trash they've come up with over the last week deserves nothing less, to be honest, I think he said too much.
Gives them more ammo to write garbage about the club? As opposed to this incident now? He would've been better off giving some quality answers.

None of the questions were attacking him, in fact most seemed complimentary. And it wasn't just the Telegraph there - FOX Sports, ABC, Livenews etc were all there.

I'm normally the first person to jump on the media but this doesn't help Saints' cause.

BWNB

First Grade

I found it funny good on him.

So how should the Sharks treat the media after the rubbish the coped this year?

Gives them more ammo to write garbage about the club? As opposed to this incident now? He would've been better off giving some quality answers.

None of the questions were attacking him, in fact most seemed complimentary. And it wasn't just the Telegraph there - FOX Sports, ABC, Livenews etc were all there.

I'm normally the first person to jump on the media but this doesn't help Saints' cause.

I agree. He could have given answers that were enough for the media but not essays and they would be happy. Ignoring the media is not the answer, thinking about the answer and the way the media can twist it before you speak is.

It was childish. In fairness, he is a shy fellow and I think he misinterpreted the directive from Bennett not to be too elaborate.

Plus, the media got the disdain they deserve.

fair call, but i get the impression that if this was medieval europe (christian side not muslim who were far superior), we'd be burning guys at the stake over this.

in mulsim lands, they would have sent him to a doctor...

i'd say he's got nothing against the media.

typical media to make a story out of it. big deal. maybe someone should have asked him what was wrong.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Boyd is always short and blunt in front of a camera. The idea was right, but his execution was lacking. Honestly I'd rather them print an article about a poor interview than the garbage about complacency and being arrogant, setting us up for the "Dragons choke" headline at the end of the year they're hoping for. The telegraph has printed a slanderous article every day for a week now, this insignificant incident will at least give us one days reprieve from the garbage they've been writing and will continue to write.

Dragon

Coach
Where's the apology again? I must have missed that quote. Got a link Timmah?

Oh thats right, 'Unconfirmed reports from our journo mates suggest that Bennett may or may not have apologised for his players poor interview answers' ...just doesn't have the same shock value does it

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For a start, it's another non-story.

Secondly, News Ltd clearly misreported the 't-shirt' story, and sucked a lot of people in.

The suggestion that Bennett has somehow turned on his players and 'apologised' is yet another yarn, with the added bonus that News Ltd can neatly deflect any calls that it is they who should apologise for last week's fable.

Tabloid media 101.
What makes you think they or anyone was doing the damage this time?

Why is that people (including yourself Tim) continue to believe everything they read?

From the article: 'It is believed Bennett apologised to some reporters for that incident'

It is believed?

Excuse me for not taking it as gospel.
Excuse me for thinking the real interview with Boyd has been left on the cutting room floor.
Excuse me thinking that Soward's 'bristling' was merely him giving credit to his team mates and his club.

News Ltd did a real number on the Bulldogs over Coffs Harbour, and to this day they have people believing the players were found guilty of something. You'd think by now that most people would have worked out that anything published by the tabloids is to be taken with a grain of salt. But apparently not.

Short memories.

We link to their trash... we read it... and we even debate it. By doing so, we help to pay their wages.

Hook, line and sinker... everytime.

Timmah

Staff member
Where's the apology again? I must have missed that quote. Got a link Timmah?

Oh thats right, 'Unconfirmed reports from our journo mates suggest that Bennett may or may not have apologised for his players poor interview answers' ...just doesn't have the same shock value does it

WTF?

Read the article in the first post you gronk. It says he took the extraordinary step of apologise. Direct your whinge @ the Tele, not me.

Timmah

Staff member
Actually, I supplied a second link that has the audio in it :lol:

But by all means, continue to get your back up over it Willow... :lol:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
WTF?

Read the article in the first post you gronk. It says he took the extraordinary step of apologise. Direct your whinge @ the Tele, not me.
Funnily enough, you'd think there'd be a quote in there from Bennett indicating as such. Yet to no avail, nor are there any other media outlets are running with this story to this effect. Nor is there a release from the dragons on the website.

If the Dragons were really worried about this interview, surely there'd be a more formal statement than an article with no quotes.

Latest posts