What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett effect buoys Boyd's NRL career

SerbDragon

Coach
Nah. I got you.

sonnyncher.jpg

lol you did indeed..... f**ker

Godz Illa

Coach
Remember that rubbish, unfounded rumour about the Wallace/Boyd swap late last year? lol and some people wanted it to happen. hahaha did anyone see Wallace tonight? Oh dear

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep, and last year Boyd had more than his fair share of baggers.

This year he is flavour of the month and Gasnier is the bad guy.

Later this year, when the Gaz and Boyd combination start ripping wide of the ruck and making the defence look like paper, the sun will be shining. The only whingers left will be opposition supporters.

watatank

Coach
There is a lot of truck in talent-scouting... you get talented youngsters who dont have the head to succeed at the top level, and you get ugly ducklings like Boyd, who get better under the right tutelage.

Boyd was an Australian Schoolboy and had debuted for the Broncos at 18...hardly an "ugly duckling"

Gaba

First Grade
If Bennett stays, which is hopefully going to happen regardless of this years outcome, I think Boyd will stay.

I think gaz gave it away that bennett might be staying til the end of 2014,when gaz said in his interview , at the latter stages of his career if he isnt playing well enough, if wayne taps him on the shoulder he will step down.

So hopefully boyd will too

Drew-Sta

Staff member
To me, Boyd was always going to be a star. Just a matter of time really.

I thought he was great last year. The detractors forget his age and the fact that the pair of hands Bennett was working on weren't going to happen overnight. Now he's setting up tries brilliantly and developing his running game. If we play our cards right, I imagine that Soward could possibly shift to HB in the long future with Boyd to 5/8.

But that's a possibility, not a certainty.

In any case, Boyd's worst period was always going to be the ones where he was a lad, and he seems through this. He played ok in 07/08 for the Broncs; Showed heaps of promise but was obviously getting up to mischief.

I think the fact he got let go from the Broncs helped his career, as it was a shot of reality to him.

Saab is right.

DRAGONS coach Wayne Bennett chuckles whenever he hears he came down hard on fullback Darius Boyd after his bizarre media interview in Wollongong 12 months ago.
A moody Boyd left journalists flummoxed with a series of "yep" and "nope" responses to eight questions before they lost patience and left.
Bennett later personally apologised to several journalists for Boyd's shortness. But he never, as some have suggested, dragged Boyd over the coals.
"My wife Trish said she'd read an article where I'd criticised Darius or spoken harshly to him about his interview," Bennett said yesterday.
"I said, 'Trish, I'm many things, but I try hard not to be a hypocrite'," he added, laughing. "How could I, of all people, come down on Darius for the interview when I've conducted some of the worst interviews the media has ever had?"
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/#sidebar-start

Those interviews, of course, were more a case of Bennett ensuring the media only heard what he wanted them to hear.
In Boyd's case it was a young footballer not in the mood to talk. He has come a long way since then.
The 22-year-old opened up at Queensland's Origin camp yesterday with an insightful interview touching on his painful exit from the Broncos and Bennett's important role in his life.
Boyd was shattered when Brisbane told him they didn't want him in for 2009. At the time, Bennett was packing up to head to the Dragons following 21 years at Red Hill.
He'd advised the club to sign up its players, never expecting Boyd, who'd been discovered as a tentative 18-year-old, to be released.
"He came to me with tears in his eyes," Bennett said. "I said, 'What's happened' and he said, 'They don't want me'.
"I said to him, 'Don't worry about it, I'll take you with me ... I'd love you to come to the Dragons, so let's go and get it sorted out' and we did."
As he's done with so many players - most recently with Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward - Bennett has instilled a belief and confidence in Boyd since switching him from wing to fullback that has elevated his game to a new level.
Bennett has drawn comparisons between Boyd and Brisbane champion Darren Lockyer, with whom he shared so much success at club and rep level.
"I can't fault Darius. There's not one thing at training he doesn't do to perfection. I do ratings for players on all aspects of what they do, the similarities [with Lockyer] are uncanny," notes Bennett.
Boyd is taken aback and flattered by such comparisons.
"Wayne's a very big part of my footy career and my life," he said. "It's a big wrap.
"I have enormous respect for Wayne. He's someone I admire and cherish as a friend."
Boyd said Bennett had always known when something was bothering him.
"I'm pretty quiet. I bottle a few things up at times but Wayne is great at detecting when something is wrong," he said.

"He's someone you can really confide in. He's a great person to have in your life."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-of-darius-boyd/story-e6frexnr-1225886880240

Latest posts