What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett effect buoys Boyd's NRL career

marty_dragon

Juniors
Dragons coach Wayne Bennett chuckles whenever he hears he came down hard on fullback Darius Boyd after his bizarre media interview in Wollongong 12 months ago.
A moody Boyd left journalists flummoxed with a series of "yep" and "nope" responses to eight questions before they lost patience and left.
Bennett later personally apologised to a number of journalists for Boyd's shortness.
But he never, as some have suggested, dragged Boyd over the coals.
"My wife Trish said she'd read an article today where I'd criticised Darius or spoken harshly to him about his interview," said Bennett on Thursday.
"I said: 'Trish, I'm many things, but I try extremely hard not to be a hypocrite," he added laughing.
"How could I, of all people, come down on Darius for the interview when I've conducted some of the worst interviews the media has ever had."
Those interviews of course were more a case of Bennett ensuring the media only heard what he wanted them to hear.
In Boyd's case it was a young footballer not in the mood to talk.
Boyd has come a long way since.
The 22-year-old opened up at Queensland's Origin team camp on Thursday with an insightful interview touching on his painful exit from the Broncos and Bennett's important role in his life.
Boyd was shattered when Brisbane told him they didn't want him in for 2009.
At the time, Bennett was packing up to head to the Dragons following 21 years and six premierships at Red Hill.
He'd advised the club to sign up its players, never expecting Boyd, who'd been discovered as a tentative 18-year-old, to be released.
"He (Boyd) came to me with tears in his eyes," Bennett told AAP.
"I said: 'what's happened' and he said 'they don't want me'.
"I said to him: 'don't worry about it, I'll take you with me ....I'd love you to come to the Dragons, so let's go and get it sorted out' and we did."
As he's done with so many players - most recently with Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward - Bennett has instilled belief and confidence in Boyd since switching him from wing to fullback that has elevated his game to a new level.
Bennett has drawn comparisons between Boyd and Brisbane champion Darren Lockyer with whom he shared so much success with at club and representative level.
"I can't fault Darius. There's not one thing at training he doesn't do to perfection. I do ratings for players on all aspects of what they do, the similarities (with Lockyer) are uncanny," notes Bennett.
Boyd is clearly taken aback and flattered by such comparisons.
"Wayne's a very big part of my footy career and my life," he said.
"It's a big rap. I have enormous respect for Wayne. He's someone I admire and cherish as a friend."
Boyd said Bennett has always known when something is bothering him.
"I'm pretty quiet. I bottle a few things up at times but Wayne is great at detecting when something is wrong," he said.
"I don't really talk to him that much, but if something is bothering you, there's something about Wayne, he just knows something's wrong.
"He'll pull you aside and just chat to you.
"He's someone you can really confide in. He's great like that, you can't really hide too much from him.
"He's just a great person to have in your life."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...tt-effect-buoys-boyds-nrl-career/default.aspx

dragondad

First Grade
He needs to be a long term signing. Hopefully we don't go through 2011 wondering if the Club has re-signed him for 2012 and beyond.

RedVDave

First Grade
Bruno Cullen would kiss his feet to have Boyd back, hopefully both Boyd & Bennett can stick around long term at Saints.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Boyd is an absolute champion. Broncos ignornace is our gain. Dragons need to sign him on a long term deal.

tevoro

First Grade
and thats why Bennett is the best coach in the NRL.
Damn I'm glad Boyd followed Bennett down to the Dragons.

TheRev

First Grade
Really enjoyed the article, and I had no idea Broncos actually kicked Boyd out.. hopefully it means he wont want to go back!

I was quite critical of Boyd in 2009, I felt his defense was great but expected much mroe in attack for our marquee international player on big dollars.

But I havent seen a player develop like he has, the confidence from Wayne is having such an effect.. his attack is getting better, he has heaps of room to get better too.. he actually reminds me of a young Lockyer, Lockyer was a slashing fullback, but Boyd has plenty of his own strengths he brings to the table for such a young man.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I was quite critical of Boyd in 2009, I felt his defense was great but expected much mroe in attack for our marquee international player on big dollars.

SOrry - I have no knowledge concerning Boyd's contract - but from that interview I would assume you got Boyd for peanuts if the coach had to take him with him.

SerbDragon

Coach
Rev likewise, this is the first i've heard that the broncs didn't want him.

It'll make his Daly M all the sweeter

saints4ever

First Grade
With very little due respect to the donkeys, they had folau and cutie in the side at the time and boyd was a fringe origin player from memory. Bennett as is now a customary thing, saw something special no one else did.

Please dont let us signing Gasnier get in the way of offering this guy a great deal. He is only young and has got another 10 years in the game.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Really enjoyed the article, and I had no idea Broncos actually kicked Boyd out.. hopefully it means he wont want to go back!

But I havent seen a player develop like he has, the confidence from Wayne is having such an effect.. his attack is getting better, he has heaps of room to get better too.. he actually reminds me of a young Lockyer, Lockyer was a slashing fullback, but Boyd has plenty of his own strengths he brings to the table for such a young man.

I think that's how Bennett works though. He grounds them in the essentials then develops in the long term. If you have a look at his decision to switch Lockyer to 5/8, it was a long term decision that experienced short term pain.

A good coach does that knowing it will benefit his team and club.

big pat

Coach
Bruno Cullen would kiss his feet to have Boyd back, hopefully both Boyd & Bennett can stick around long term at Saints.

hope he tells that little garden gnome, to f**k off if he ever comes looking for darius.:x

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Please dont let us signing Gasnier get in the way of offering this guy a great deal.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to think of Gasnier every time Boyd's name is mentioned. One is a centre, the other is a fullback - and leading the Dally Ms. The suggestion that we'll lose Boyd to make way for Gasnier sounds very plausible.

SerbDragon

Coach
Offer Boyd 100 million dollars. on a serious note though..

Willow, your statement makes me uncomfortable.

TheRev

First Grade
SOrry - I have no knowledge concerning Boyd's contract - but from that interview I would assume you got Boyd for peanuts if the coach had to take him with him.

Yah, I don't know the $$$$ either, but during last year in interviews, another Dragons player reffered to Boyd as our 'Marque International' player (think it was Hornby or Young).. that was in mid 2009.

But back then he was half the player he is today, but his defence was still very valuable at the back.

My main fear is not so much Brisbane taking Boyd, but maybe North Queensland? I have no idea how happy he is in NSW, his family situation etc, though if his on-field form is any indication.. maybe he is very happy???

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-of-darius-boyd/story-e6frexnr-1225886880240

The fall and rise of Darius Boyd

871335-darius-boyd.jpg

Someone to confide in...Darius Boyd with coach Wayne Bennett at Dragons training just before Queensland Origin camp. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

DRAGONS coach Wayne Bennett chuckles whenever he hears he came down hard on fullback Darius Boyd after his bizarre media interview in Wollongong 12 months ago.

A moody Boyd left journalists flummoxed with a series of "yep" and "nope" responses to eight questions before they lost patience and left.
Bennett later personally apologised to several journalists for Boyd's shortness. But he never, as some have suggested, dragged Boyd over the coals.
"My wife Trish said she'd read an article where I'd criticised Darius or spoken harshly to him about his interview," Bennett said yesterday.
"I said, 'Trish, I'm many things, but I try hard not to be a hypocrite'," he added, laughing. "How could I, of all people, come down on Darius for the interview when I've conducted some of the worst interviews the media has ever had?"
Those interviews, of course, were more a case of Bennett ensuring the media only heard what he wanted them to hear.
In Boyd's case it was a young footballer not in the mood to talk. He has come a long way since then.
The 22-year-old opened up at Queensland's Origin camp yesterday with an insightful interview touching on his painful exit from the Broncos and Bennett's important role in his life.
Boyd was shattered when Brisbane told him they didn't want him in for 2009. At the time, Bennett was packing up to head to the Dragons following 21 years at Red Hill.
He'd advised the club to sign up its players, never expecting Boyd, who'd been discovered as a tentative 18-year-old, to be released.
"He came to me with tears in his eyes," Bennett said. "I said, 'What's happened' and he said, 'They don't want me'.
"I said to him, 'Don't worry about it, I'll take you with me ... I'd love you to come to the Dragons, so let's go and get it sorted out' and we did."
As he's done with so many players - most recently with Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward - Bennett has instilled a belief and confidence in Boyd since switching him from wing to fullback that has elevated his game to a new level.
Bennett has drawn comparisons between Boyd and Brisbane champion Darren Lockyer, with whom he shared so much success at club and rep level.
"I can't fault Darius. There's not one thing at training he doesn't do to perfection. I do ratings for players on all aspects of what they do, the similarities [with Lockyer] are uncanny," notes Bennett.
Boyd is taken aback and flattered by such comparisons.
"Wayne's a very big part of my footy career and my life," he said. "It's a big wrap.
"I have enormous respect for Wayne. He's someone I admire and cherish as a friend."
Boyd said Bennett had always known when something was bothering him.
"I'm pretty quiet. I bottle a few things up at times but Wayne is great at detecting when something is wrong," he said.

"He's someone you can really confide in. He's a great person to have in your life."

I didn't know this. Are the broncos crazy?!? They didn't want Boyd????????? Wat! :crazy::crazy::lol:

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I'd love to know the 'criteria' that Boyd didn't meet for them to 'not want him'??? It's not as if he's got a 'rep' for out of order behaviour, form slumps or weaknesses in his play.

Our gain, their loss.

Big Norm