What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett slams TV stoppages

Coaster

Bench
Viewers like myself dead set loved it.

I think the point is that it changed certain parts of the game where a quick restart or kickoff could have moved the game back in the others favor.

I dont want this game to end up 2 hours, and 40 minutes full of adds live like NFL is atm. So there has to be a point in the sand where Advertisment and live football can work together.

If there is a line drawn now, will SOO be delayed for advertising? what about GF? ect

AntarcticDragon

Juniors
I'm not for it .. it's just another opportunity for Nine to take control .. in the AFL, they tell you the FULL season right from the word go, what game will be played on what day .. the AFL control the game, not the other way around .. so, for us poor league schmucks, we have to wait for Nine to decide which game they will broadcast before we can plan whether we can attend a match .. with the ads, I reckon this is only the start .. things will NOT improve .. I thought NRL stood for National Rugby League .. not Nines Rugby League ..

bartman

Immortal
ParraEelsNRL said:
Same things been happening with the SL on PTV lately, they seem to be cutting a fair bit out, I notice it doesn't happen in other sports, only RL, wtf is going on?
No ads when SL games screen over here live on Sky, only breaks/ads are at half-time. Must be an Aussie broadcasting thing.

Kornstar

Coach
People will whinge about anything, if they scored from the kick off while they were at an add break.......people would whinge then too.....they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.....

Mr Saab

Referee
The game should never be stopped for TV.
What an absolute farce.
Talk about ch9 ruling the game.

leaguerules

Juniors
guess what guysif sell the product to commercial station guess whats going to happen for them to benefit in paying for the rights u guys a living a fantasy world if you dont get that. Its not like the rights for the league was free. I love the double header last nights the ad breaks gives you time to go to the toilet and the fridge
well done channel 9 really enjoyed it last night especially with 4 teams that i dont have that much interest in except loving league i stayed glued to the tv all night

griff

Bench
AntarcticDragon said:
I'm not for it .. it's just another opportunity for Nine to take control .. in the AFL, they tell you the FULL season right from the word go, what game will be played on what day .. the AFL control the game, not the other way around .. so, for us poor league schmucks, we have to wait for Nine to decide which game they will broadcast before we can plan whether we can attend a match .. with the ads, I reckon this is only the start .. things will NOT improve .. I thought NRL stood for National Rugby League .. not Nines Rugby League ..

Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong. AFL stop play for an ad break after every goal, and have been doing it for years and years. That's how the TV companies can afford to have 30 million live free to air AFL games every weekend.

Would you rather a maximum 30 second delay and be guaranteed not to miss any of the action while they play a single ad or a 1 hour delay where they squeeze 5 minutes of ads every break?

If it means live coverage without the massive annoyance of missing the first tackle after every try then bring it on.

JoeD

First Grade
The only problem is that it will be applied inconsistently depending on whetehr the game is shown live or not. This is the problem I have with it.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Razor said:
Would you rather the people watching at home miss out on the acion?

Yes. I don't mind missing out on 20secs of the game if it means it stays fair and even between the two sides and doesn't halt the momentum of either team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Razor said:
Would you rather the people watching at home miss out on the acion?
I would rather they fixed up their own ad placements and kept away from what happens on the field. There are solutions (banners have been mentioned) - that's Channel 9's problem and it should not be the problem for the players, referees or coaches.

Bennett is right... imagine if your team has the ascendancy and are pushing for quick play-the-balls, only to be told that they have give the opposition a breather.

The NRL should never had agreed to ad breaks stopping a game. We already have kickoffs being delayed to suit the broadcaster's wishes. To then instruct referees to stop the game during play is simply taking things too far.

And who decides this in the box?

Its a case of Channel 9's tail wagging the NRL dog again.

Last year the network was telling the match review committee who to cite, and they were even influencing refereeing decisions during the game!

Channel 9's job is to broadcast the game, they are not there to dictate what happens on the field. A broadcaster should never be allowed to tamper with what happens on the football field. Never.

Eelectrica

Referee
Keep the game moving, if we miss a scrum feed watching at home, so be it.

As long as Ch 9 are sensible about where to place adds we won't miss more than a tackle or two. Also provides more encouragement to go out and attend games when possible.

this is pathetic, the NRL should not be dictated to, as Bennett said it gives a rest to a team who is on the backfoot and penalises the team on a roll

after reading this there is no way i will watch the footy on Channel nein on friday nights i will wait for the replays on Fox on Saturdays

Scorpio30

Bench
Isnt the simple solution to have the game played as normal but delay the feed a few seconds each time?!...Im sure come the end of a forty minute half you wouldnt be so far out of sync that you couldnt call it live! Hey and it would shorten halftime and the second half would start on time again...Or too many sponsers to satisify in the break?
Even if it coverage went slightly further behind at each ad break over the full 80min...You wouldnt be too far out.

Is that too obvious?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Willow said:
There are solutions (banners have been mentioned) - that's Channel 9's problem and it should not be the problem for the players, referees or coaches.
Agree 100%. I would suggest that advertisers during live games should be restricted to 15-20 second ads.

I'm worried about what could happen if a game has no "natural" stoppages, e.g. tries. Remember last year's Dragons/Eels game? No scoring until the 70th minute.

If it HAS to stay like this then after tries are the natural place ... but if TV dictates extra stoppages during the normal run of play then that's downright insane.

Razor

Coach
Immortal said:
What's wrong with it ? Surely you are joking... surely. I'd rather not watch the game at all & just hear about the result, rather than this happen to the game.

Ok, then don't watch the game anymore.

If enough people don't, and the ratings drop, then the 2 games format will be scrapped, and we can go back to the 8:30 slot.