What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett to decide on future within weeks

Saintsified

Bench
On twitter re Wayne

Hearing Wayne Bennett is a done deal with the Red V. If everything runs smoothly over the next few days expect it to be announced soon #Redv

Hero to zero here, loss to boss there. Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett to make decision soon (regarding target for St George Illawarra job).

@brissyredv much more then a rumour mate #Redv board said its a done deal. But we all know what out board is like so fingers crossed

Last edited:
I think he is to he's done the job at the Dragons why come back and wreck his legacy at the club.

I don't think Henry will be coach either the Titans need a change he'll get that job.

nrlnrl

First Grade
And yet Ikin reckons he's staying at knights

yep, I agree with this outcome. Also, he's not necessarily making a decision tomorrow, just one of the people from the Newcastle Knights at a meeting with people from the NRL as they now control the Knights. The meeting is going to cover the direction / strategy for the club & part of that will involve discussions about the coach, but doesn't mean a decision will be made by Wayne Bennett tomorrow.

I'd say if you want Wayne Bennett back at the Dragons, don't get your hopes up

Minh

First Grade
Bennett would absolutely kill it with this playing roster, just add Beau Scott and another good forward.

mickeylane

Bench
I was shot down 2 days ago when I announced this. The offer is something like 2 years coaching job then a 3 year coaching director role (to groom Hornby who will b his assistant)

TheRev

Coach
Was on NRL360 tonight, tomorrows meeting is more about closing out the drama at the Knights.. from there he will look at his options.. Bennett was quite clear that he didn't feel us punters needed to know anything for some time (and fair enough too).

Strangest comment I heard from Ikin was that Bennett apparently has huge wraps on the way Peter Doust does business.. and that was a big plus for choosing the dragons.. news to me ^_^

rainman44

Bench
I was shot down 2 days ago when I announced this. The offer is something like 2 years coaching job then a 3 year coaching director role (to groom Hornby who will b his assistant)

Fingers crossed that Bennett comes but to groom Hornby like he groomed price just does not make sense.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Fingers crossed that Bennett comes but to groom Hornby like he groomed price just does not make sense.

The Price cloning to be another Wayne Bennett was ridiculous from the way he spoke & acted at press conferences, he looked silly. No-one should ever try to be Wayne Bennett - take advice from him, but don't try to mimic him.

GT0007

Juniors
I think we are aiming at having an individual coach for each player.
It's a new coaching paradigm. Will be a revolution.
Great for Real Estate prices in Blakehurst to boot.

You mean finally Hunt is gonna get his own coach? Very funny post Bottle!

Minh

First Grade
Was on NRL360 tonight, tomorrows meeting is more about closing out the drama at the Knights.. from there he will look at his options.. Bennett was quite clear that he didn't feel us punters needed to know anything for some time (and fair enough too).

Strangest comment I heard from Ikin was that Bennett apparently has huge wraps on the way Peter Doust does business.. and that was a big plus for choosing the dragons.. news to me ^_^

I think Bennett likes the way Doust plays his cards close to his chest and signings are usually done very privately.

GT0007

Juniors
My understanding is there won't be anyone at Thurs meeting from the NRL that can negotiate or make any decisions so basically it is an information session so therefore I would not expect any decision by Bennett. If he came back I wouldn't be perturbed however lets not forget he lost 10 of his last 14 games with us and then raped and pilaged and left us in a rabble and recommended Price as his successor. With a few forward signings we are close to a very very good roster so do we even want to go through it again? We had a pretty good roster when Bennett took over the 1st time which suffered a few injuries and maybe a questionable decision to drop Soward for the finals or we couldve had a premiership anyway. Saying that I don't think you can measure the value of his presence but that may well be more important than his ability as when the chips are down he didnt have the answers for us like he hasn't at the knights. He has always had very good rosters to coach and I will say he brings the best out of his players.......usually

It's not a black and white decision.......yes I know I'll cop it for this lol but it has to be said. 2011 was a very disappointing year as we were 9/10 when the wheels fell off and IMO even better than 2010 and Supercoach rolled up to the Press conferences for the rest of the year saying," I don't know whats wrong they just don't seem to want to win". If you support his signing go in with your eyes wide open

Country Dragon

Juniors
My understanding is there won't be anyone at Thurs meeting from the NRL that can negotiate or make any decisions so basically it is an information session so therefore I would not expect any decision by Bennett. If he came back I wouldn't be perturbed however lets not forget he lost 10 of his last 14 games with us and then raped and pilaged and left us in a rabble and recommended Price as his successor. With a few forward signings we are close to a very very good roster so do we even want to go through it again? We had a pretty good roster when Bennett took over the 1st time which suffered a few injuries and maybe a questionable decision to drop Soward for the finals or we couldve had a premiership anyway. Saying that I don't think you can measure the value of his presence but that may well be more important than his ability as when the chips are down he didnt have the answers for us like he hasn't at the knights. He has always had very good rosters to coach and I will say he brings the best out of his players.......usually

It's not a black and white decision.......yes I know I'll cop it for this lol but it has to be said. 2011 was a very disappointing year as we were 9/10 when the wheels fell off and IMO even better than 2010 and Supercoach rolled up to the Press conferences for the rest of the year saying," I don't know whats wrong they just don't seem to want to win". If you support his signing go in with your eyes wide open

Who would you rather coach us???

_Johnsy

Referee

Post of the week :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

GT0007

Juniors
Who would you rather coach us???

Lol not enough money in the world, don't you read this forum? Signing a new coach is a huge step and very subjective but if they don't have instant success the knives come out pretty quick in here. The 1st time around Bennett was a brilliant signing but I'm not as convinced this time. I'm not convinced he'll come in any case

grouch

First Grade

You've come up with plenty of garbage but this may be the stinkiest of all. Absolute nonsense.