What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett to decide on future within weeks

DUB888

Juniors
^^^^^^^THIS

The semi final was one of the gutsiest efforts in recent times by the team ,and Bennett did well to get them up after a long losing streak. I have never seen anything close to that effort from the team since ,they seem happy to drop their heads now.

Bennett managed to get quite a few of our blokes to push themselves hard enough to get rep honours as you've highlighted MINH , so when he said he was moving on i'm sure they would've tested their self belief as was evident in the following seasons under the contrasting coach style of you know who.

If Bennett is available to the club he has to be signed. Still the best coach in the comp , no one can get into a players head better than him.

:thumb

Hate to hear leaks that we have him, could be deja vu all over again.

When it was leaked he was heading to the Rorters in 09, he told them to bugger off.

hardbaby

Coach
Bennett is the only bloke powerful enough to push Doust and his cronies/crownies to one side. That alone gives him my vote. Sadly, he is nowhere near the coach he once was and the game has changed. He hasn't. I'm torn on this one.

Cagey Mac

Bench
GT we all know that we lost those games for a couple of reasons. One being that we had a massively arduous Origin campaign that year with up to 8 players selected from memory. Secondly the players were genuinely disappointed when Bennett announced he was leaving, they must have been shattered as Bennett had lifted them all to new heights.

Coupled with this we only lost to the Broncos in the major semi final due to an ugly field goal from Darren Lockyer, I remember kicking an excercise ball so hard into the wall after that kick went over.........and the rest is history.

Spot on!

GT0007

Juniors
GT we all know that we lost those games for a couple of reasons. One being that we had a massively arduous Origin campaign that year with up to 8 players selected from memory. Secondly the players were genuinely disappointed when Bennett announced he was leaving, they must have been shattered as Bennett had lifted them all to new heights.

Coupled with this we only lost to the Broncos in the major semi final due to an ugly field goal from Darren Lockyer, I remember kicking an excercise ball so hard into the wall after that kick went over.........and the rest is history.

I've publically stated all those reasons we lost, the reasons Newcastle are coming last have also been well documented but it doesn't change the facts. I'm not against Bennett in any way but I'm apprehensive as I would be with any coach. Personally I'd rather Belamy or Hasler but that won't happen. A coach isn't like a player that you can Bench if things aren't going well.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I get it now, that's why Dugans playing in the centres to get used to the position before Wayne returns with his tail Darius to fill the fullback spot.....silly me should have realised it from the start.... :sarcasm:

TheRev

Coach
Wouldnt hurt if we could win a few more games and finish the season strong.. improve our chances of landing a coach who can see some of the potential in the squad, and hopefully fill the gaps.

GT0007

Juniors
Wouldnt hurt if we could win a few more games and finish the season strong.. improve our chances of landing a coach who can see some of the potential in the squad, and hopefully fill the gaps.

Clearly we need to bolster the forwards but the difficulty for the new coach is where are these players going to come from in 2015, it will be a shame to write another year off as a rebuilding year

Minh

First Grade
Clearly we need to bolster the forwards but the difficulty for the new coach is where are these players going to come from in 2015, it will be a shame to write another year off as a rebuilding year

There's a lot of talent in this team, hope we can jag a couple of great forwards....

GT0007

Juniors
There's a lot of talent in this team, hope we can jag a couple of great forwards....

Yeah I agree mate, if every forward played to their potential and we had Frizell I think we are a top 8 side around 5th or 6th. Still need a big mongrel prop or 2 if we are going to be contenders

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
I get it now, that's why Dugans playing in the centres to get used to the position before Wayne returns with his tail Darius to fill the fullback spot.....silly me should have realised it from the start.... :sarcasm:

I was thinking this exact thing when I heard Bennett was on the market, It was a little too close for a coincidence, Dragons firing Price-Dugan to centre-then Bennetts future is now being discussed. it maybe nothing but the timing of all these things is suspicious.

BennyV

Referee
I was thinking this exact thing when I heard Bennett was on the market, It was a little too close for a coincidence, Dragons firing Price-Dugan to centre-then Bennetts future is now being discussed. it maybe nothing but the timing of all these things is suspicious.

Even if we get Bennett, we wont nab Boyd, and I wouldn't be big on him coming...he wouldn't come cheap, we have spent enough on the backs as it is...plus we already have one of the best fullbacks in the game....

Oh...wait...

TruSaint

Referee
Even if we get Bennett, we wont nab Boyd, and I wouldn't be big on him coming...he wouldn't come cheap, we have spent enough on the backs as it is...plus we already have one of the best fullbacks in the game....

Oh...wait...

Don't wait lol ... spot on :)

DRAGONSNZ

Bench

Oh...wait...

What? Quinlan one of the best fullbacks in the game? please!

Jubileeboy

First Grade

Who else has witnessed UFO's and been abducted by aliens?

:)

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
At Newcastle Bennet assembled an even more experienced/aging rooster than what he had at the Dragons. He was only ever going to win a comp with Newcastle by sneaking up and surprising everyone, like he did in 2006 with the Broncos. Their best chance was last year, only problem was they came up against a white hot Roosters team. Newcastle are at least 2 years away from competing again at that level.

Logically, it doesn't make sense for Bennet to return to the Dragons. He will be 65 years old by the time the pre-season starts next year, one would think he wants to return home to QLD. If that's the case, I think the Titans are a good fit for him; He gets to return home to QLD, and still has a chance to create history by being the first coach to win 3 comps at 3 different clubs and picking up the Titans first premiership along the way. Hollywood couldn't write a better script!

I'd be very surprised, but obviously very happy, if he did return to the Dragons though. Maybe Doust is thinking; "Hmmmm, how do I get my matey Brown back. I know, I'll have Bennett in for 12 months as coaching director with Brown underneath him. That'll keep the wolves at bay for a while!"

doda

Juniors
I cannot see him coming to the Dragons, he will probably stay with Drugcastle or maybe even retire.