What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett to exit, worst start to a Sunday

Ritzley

Juniors
The Bennett issue got a bit of a run this morning on Triple M in Brisvegas. Greg "Marto - Know it All" Martin reckons he has it on first hand that Benny is currently recruiting for the second Brisbane team (inference obviously that he will be its inaugural coach)!! Its pretty hard to believe as a second Brisbane team hasn't even been announced yet - or even whether expansion is on the agenda (McCallum keeps saying its not)....

Anyway just my 2c worth....

Bring back choc

Juniors
The Bennett issue got a bit of a run this morning on Triple M in Brisvegas. Greg "Marto - Know it All" Martin reckons he has it on first hand that Benny is currently recruiting for the second Brisbane team (inference obviously that he will be its inaugural coach)!! Its pretty hard to believe as a second Brisbane team hasn't even been announced yet - or even whether expansion is on the agenda (McCallum keeps saying its not)....

Anyway just my 2c worth....

I would like it if this were true... wold mean bennett would extend his stay at saints before moving back to brisbane. Would also mean we wold get Boyd for another year or 2 before he follows bennett.

HOWEVER...

Wayne has gone on record saying he wouldnt support a second brisbane team. Not sure Marto has factored that in.

saintzrule

Juniors
gee, imagine playing Wayne at poker. Cant be bluffed, gives nothing away, always plays with a straight face and plays mind games without trying.:D

Rocket

Juniors
As the saying goes, Bennett definitely marches to the beat of his own drum and all of us are really clutching at straws trying to guess what he'll do.

He is one of the few figures in the game who is genuinely above it all. He could pretty much ride out anything, or anyone, and still come up a true gentleman and champion (in that order).

On the one hand he has a ruthless take no prisoners attitude. On the other he talks of "the game" like it is one of his own children.

And for mine after any family considerations he may have, I think any decision he makes will be in keeping with the spirit of what he thinks is in the best interests of the game.

For the Dragons we were a joint venture looking for a first premiership, one part of which is a proud club steeped in rugby league history. A wide spread, large and loyal supporter base who love the game and their team. Our win last year was not only good for the us, but good for the game.

I know Souths get a hammering from us but they are a foundation club with arguably the most supporters in Sydney. Is that enough to tempt him? Who knows?

All I hope is the day he coaches his last game for us he does a lap of honour so we can give him a standing ovation and show our appreciation for what he has done.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
gee, imagine playing Wayne at poker. Cant be bluffed, gives nothing away, always plays with a straight face and plays mind games without trying.:D

i heard even wayne can play the "royal sampler"

homer-poker.jpg

Saintsified

Bench
I'm not one to talk much but needed to say something.

I dont get what all this talk is that bennett is in search of a new challenge at souffs or knightd etc when he has stated in the past his ambition to create a dynasty at Dragons, his challenge is right in front of his noise as we speak....a potential 3rd straight minor premiership and back to back grand final wins,a world club championship etc....and saints dont even look like weakening in the next few years.

Wayne isnt getting younger and has laid the foundation at saints to dominate for many many years, even more so than what he could do at broncos or what storm could do in melbourne.....i really don't see why wayne will at his age want to start rebuilding another club all over again.

His best chance of more titles is at dragons, I've also read once how he said that as long as alex ferguson coaches united and who is 10 years older than he, that wayne has 10 years more upon fergusons retirement.

He has already achieved all in the game now its

Stay at saints continue the already started dynasty and win more premierships and pretty quickly V starting all over again with no guarantee to win anything further.....he is already in poll position.

That is all

SEAT 1A

Bench
I agree, Wayne's job is to win premierships and club and players have been capable on winning a premiership with him as coach, so why is there a need for him to move on.

If he leaves, it won't be because the players and staff don't work as hard as he does to get results.

This Year?

Immortal
All good things must come to an end at some stage. He cannot coach forever. He did what he said he wanted to do.

Saintsified

Bench
He also said he wanted to build a dynasty....he is in the middle of that.

It is widely believed Bennett's decision could ultimately be swayed by whether the Dragons can finally break through for a grand final win, but the 60-year-old also revealed his desire to create a red and white dynasty.

Last edited:

Petebix

Juniors
Reasons for leaving in order of reasonyness

1: Family
2: (yet) Another challenge
3: Money
4: Gap year

Father Ted

First Grade
I just imagine his family might want him home in Brisbane fulltime and if so I could understand why he would leave and go.