What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny Elias

super_coach

First Grade
In the fifty years I have been hooked on league their have been a handfull of coaches who have changed the way the game was played. The likes of Gibson,and The Wok re wrote the coaching manuals, But their were not to many players who changed the way you played a postion and Benny changed the no 9 into the focal attacking point of a team. It hjas to be remembered he played in a day when the cheap shot was all the go and elbows and punches were not often picked up by the officals and he was usually the no1 target. You couldnt throw just anyone into the n09 like they do today

I still scratch my head when people keep puting every second hooker in front of him. I think a lots got to do with things he may have done or not done off the field and his mouth did got him into trouble on the odd occassion, but that should not effect his ranking as the no1 no9

aids

Bench
i found this thread searching for my name...

Lazarus should've been number 1
Clyde 2
R. Price 3 and the rest in no real order after that.
"mr personality " smith and butterball buderas don't have anything on Backdoor Benny.
current players shouldn't have even been considered with 2 maybe 3 exceptions.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Even though i'm a Parra fan, Benny elias was one of my favourite players. He totally revolusitoned the hooking role and made it the way it's today, up until then you had sizzlers runing around making 35 tackles a game and thats about it.

The best hooker i've seen, people can piss and moan about Walters? but Benny was the most charismatic, Skillful hooker there has been.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
themanonthehill said:
Elias and Kenny were for me the 2 players of their generation
Benny changed the way the game and their position was played ... how many players in the modern game can say that ?
Kenny was an absolute freak ... infrequent poster tottie saw kenny painting a shop in the city last yr .. kenny was shocked anyone knew who he was and was a very humble bloke he said ... kenny remains to this day my favourite non tigers player ever ... an absolute footballer

Lewis, Fittler, Daley don't get near him

Totally agree, and Kenny even owned Lewis at SOO lol

I still remember watching Kennys last ever game against the Tigers, we won 22-16, he should've been sent off though.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
joel caine number 1 fan said:
Cam Smith over Ben Elias wtf its official Cam Smith is the most over-rated player ever and ill tell him that if i see him in melbourne :p

Cam Smith still has to prove himself year after year. Even in 94 when the Tigers won just 4 games or something Elias was playing some of his best footy ever, and to this day i have know idea how he missed that Australian tour when even in the Origin series that year he was dynamite.

tiger_nick

Bench
joel caine number 1 fan said:
Cam Smith over Ben Elias wtf its official Cam Smith is the most over-rated player ever and ill tell him that if i see him in melbourne :p

cam smith certainly seems to be the new nrl golden boy, i think they're after a clean cut pin up type.

no doubting he is a fantastic player but i dont think he deserves ALL the wraps he has been getting

gords

Juniors
The things about Benny that stick in my mind more than anything else about Benny is his ability to piss off the opposition and to rake back the ball from the oppositions ruck. He was brilliant at it

super_coach

First Grade
Unlike Smith and Danny Boy, Benny played in the days when the cheap shot was all the go,especially directed at Benny and he gave as good as he got

He was a legend mate ... i have a DVD my mate compiled and none of those over-rated hacks the media wanks off about come close.

Here's one for you ... if benny was a non Mediterranean Descendant - anglo saxon - how much higher and how many more tests would he have played. Let's face it wankers like ink and the boges from penriff don't like an upstart lippy Mediterranean Descendant who starts with nothing and by the time he's in his 20s is pissing on them and driving round town in a Porsche and that has a heap to do with it

A simple fact is:

Benny changed the way hooker was played, compared to and I mean no disrespect here a compared to a sluggish Royce Simmons and Greg Conescu, Benny was a revelation. The very talented Walters brothers learned from him and the position has evolved and created players like Buderus, Smith and the irreplacable Robbie Farah.

There will never be another Benny. Robbie is the closest the game will ever see and we are blessed to have had the 2 of em ... well us who were Balmain were. Wests got to watch Alan Fallah and Joe Thomas.

The forgotten man in the Benny story was a very very good hooker by the name of Michael Brown. He was dead set better than the other 15 hookers in the comp at that time. He didn't go elsewhere and never kicked on. Perhaps a lesson there for Flanagan who is better than probably all but 2 hookers in the NRL (Farah and Smith). What a joke Buderus is. f**king mong can't pass left to right ... who remembers the 06 semi

mepelthwack

Juniors
It's refreshing hearing from guys that actually know what they are talking about with Benny. No doubt he was the best. Miles ahead of any Walters, Buderus and most certainly Cammy Smith.

Put simply, he was unpopular on and off the field and this is the ONLY reason he rated so poorly.

Latest posts