What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst Space movies (inc recommendations)

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ever since I walked out of the cinema after the Last Jedi ended, Star Wars has been dead to me. Total disrespect for Luke Skywalker, that purple haired freak and the patriarchy crap. Dead...and...buried.

The prequels were bad outside of ROTS. But at least they weren't pushing this bullsh*t feminist agenda. And they did have some redeemable aspects like Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Christopher Lee's Count Dooku and Liam Neeson's Qui Gon Jinn, all of whom took their roles seriously and worked with what they had.

I have only seen
A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi so anything after 1983 i haven't seen and have no interest in seeing any of the ones made after that either.
I hate even calling the first one released in 1977 A New Hope, to me i still refer to it as its original title Star Wars.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Seriously, the last jedi pales in comparison to how incredible shit attack of the clones is

Clones is still the best of the prequels, not that that’s saying much. Phantom menace is the ultimate turd. Rogue One is the only Start Wars film outside the original trilogy that is actually good.

best space movie: Alien (not counting Aliens and Blade Runner as they were set on planets)

The prequels were so bad that they make my worst of all time list, not just my worst Star Wars. ROTS is close to the worst of that lot too and it completely bungled the Darth Vader transition.

It took the TFA to make Star Wars enjoyable again, and I like TLJ, and really don't like the recent one.

They filmed the 2nd n 3rd prequels in Sydney and my mate, and housemate at the time, was working on the set in creature effects..

They were sworn to signed statements saying they wouldn’t distribute the scripts.. but he could take them home and he’d show me.

Remember him coming home and telling me “Yoda is gonna have a fight!”... he also was chosen to play a guard in one of those big senate scenes. It was all really exciting at the time.

I always thought they were on a hiding to nothing making the prequels. So much to live up to.

I watched the phantom menace while stoned with my uni mates at a theatre. The pod racing scene was amazing with theatre sound and 3 cones down my neck.. but the rest was pretty vanilla.

I remember watching the final prequel at Hurstville - midnight screening. And really liking it.. but when walking out at about 3am there was a huge queue in the foyer... it was the crowd from the adjacent theatre getting refunds as.... the reel caught fire about 3/4 of the way through... all our crowd was buzzing and talking about Vader’s conversion etc and all those others completely missed the end - had to listen to us - at 3am - to get refunds/tickets to another screening..

They were all a fair bit disappointing but was always gonna be up against it. I’ve watched the odd one since and can enjoy it by not taking it too seriously.

Matua

Bench
Best - Star Wars episode V - Empire Strikes back
Worst - Star Wars episode I - The Phantom Menace
I have them rated in four groups - awesome, almost awesome, actually really good, and shit.

Empire
Star Wars
ROgue

small gap

Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

small gap

Solo
The Last jedi

daylight

The Rise of Skywalker
Prequels in any order because they're all turds.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
I have them rated in four groups - awesome, almost awesome, actually really good, and shit.

Empire
Star Wars
ROgue

small gap

Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

small gap

Solo
The Last jedi

daylight

The Rise of Skywalker
Prequels in any order because they're all turds.

Almost agree 100%.

But I'd have small gap--- ROS, TPM & ROTS

Huge gap

Attack of the Clones

bileduct

Coach
Clones is still the best of the prequels, not that that’s saying much. Phantom menace is the ultimate turd. Rogue One is the only Start Wars film outside the original trilogy that is actually good.
I don't know how anyone could say Attack of the Clones is the best of the prequels. It's god f**king awful and The Phantom Menace is better than it by the absolute smallest of margins.

There are only three good Star Wars films. Empire, A New Hope and Rogue One. The rest is trash.

RedVDave

First Grade
Solo a star wars story, Jason X, event horizon and Armageddon are amongst the worst space movies.

azzah72

Bench
I actually didn't hate Solo.

Perfectly fine popcorn movie, it was just..... Unnecessary.

I pretty much agree with matuas list.

One space movie I like, if it counts as one, is starship troopers.

I liked ender's Game as well.

Matua

Bench
Compared to the book it was a massive disappointment.
Ben Kingsley plays a better Jew than a Maori that's for sure.

Haven't read the book, probably wont after reading about the author when the movie was out.

bileduct

Coach
Ben Kingsley plays a better Jew than a Maori that's for sure.

Haven't read the book, probably wont after reading about the author when the movie was out.
Well that's a shame. Ender's Game and its followup, Speaker for the Dead, were well deserved winners of both the Hugo and Nebula awards. Finding out much later that Orson Scott Card was opposed to homosexuality has done nothing to diminish my enjoyment of them, much like finding out John Lennon was a wife beater did nothing to diminish my enjoyment of The Beatles music.

Matua

Bench
Well that's a shame. Ender's Game and its followup, Speaker for the Dead, were well deserved winners of both the Hugo and Nebula awards. Finding out much later that Orson Scott Card was opposed to homosexuality has done nothing to diminish my enjoyment of them, much like finding out John Lennon was a wife beater did nothing to diminish my enjoyment of The Beatles music.
Maybe if I'd read them years ago I'd feel the same way, but I can live without reading them. I don't watch Polanski either, and I only listen to the bits of the Beatles songs where Paul, George or Ringo are singing. ;)

Styles clash

Juniors
High Life is a good recent movie

Silent Running is a good old movie

Star Wars 1977 and The Empire Strikes Back are pretty good. Downhill after that. Return of the Jedi is more of a grey sheep relative to the even worse stuff from The Phantom Menace onward. Return of the Jedi would cop way more criticism than it does if Star Wars had ended there.

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
I actually didn't hate Solo.

Perfectly fine popcorn movie, it was just..... Unnecessary.

I pretty much agree with matuas list.

One space movie I like, if it counts as one, is starship troopers.

I liked ender's Game as well.

Yup. Let's take Han's legendary backstory and show you it wasn't far off being as mundane as a week in the office.

High Life is a good recent movie

Silent Running is a good old movie

Star Wars 1977 and The Empire Strikes Back are pretty good. Downhill after that. Return of the Jedi is more of a grey sheep relative to the even worse stuff from The Phantom Menace onward. Return of the Jedi would cop way more criticism than it does if Star Wars had ended there.

Definitely gonna check out High Life. Cheers for the shout.

And yep Silent Running is awesome, on my list of favourites.