What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Ever NRL Players

koal4e

Juniors
As Im new to NRL and gathering information on teams and such like at lightening speed, I would like to know the best players historically. So who in your mind is the best ever NRL player(s)

Players name:

Team played for:

Why they are the best:

Im very interested in reading your responses! :D

Hutty1986

Immortal
Players name: Moffo

Team played for: LU

Why they are the best: Tipping Master and Finance Guru. Moffo's widsom has no bounds.

Charlie124

First Grade
Players name: David Williams

Team played for: NSW Blues

Why they are the best: He had a pink beard and a cool nickname

user_nat

Coach
NRL players as in players who have played in the NRL competition at some point since 1998 or do you mean best ever rugby league players?

Name: John Morris
Teams: Tigers, now plays for the Sharks
Position: Utility but plays best in the Halves or at Hooker.
Attributes: Speed, Awareness.

timka4

Bench
Start off with an easy one, helpful responses above btw.

Player name : Andrew 'Joey' Johns
Team Played for : Newcastle Knights
Why he is one of the best : Because I have never seen a half read the game better than what Joey did (although I have only been watching the game since 98', seen some older games). He was defensively solid, great kicker, great passer, great runner of the ball and very passionate.

Player Name: Beau Ryan
Team: Wests Tigers, but hopefully one day the Bulldogs
Position: Bench, comes on and plays the last 5 minutes unless there's an injury
Why he's the best: Doggies Bro!

bottle

Coach
Mate the place is full of comedians. Good luck. You may just start WWIII as well.
For the record, and being serious, the best ever (Rugby League player) I got to see with my own eyes was Bobby Fulton (in his peak early 70's) from Manly Warringah. Hated him, but have to admit he was poetry in motion to watch. Lightning quick off the mark, mesmerised defences. Saw him run about 30-40 metres sideways one day from outside the 25 yard line at the SCG against Easts toying with the defence looking for a hole. He found it. Scooted through and scored . I was young, so the memory might not be perfect, but I remember the impression it left.
In the NRL? Billy Slater (Melbourne Cheats, sorry Storm) always impresses me. Again, a grub, but electric to watch. More of an opportunist than a creator, but exciting none the less.

Name: Anthony Minichiello
Teams: Roosters
Position: Fullback
Attributes: The definitive fullback of the NRL era, he had speed and the ability to break tackles, never made the brainsnaps Slater did, has loyalty unlike Hunt, fought his way back from injury and now the rightful blues fullback.

Name: Todd Carney
Teams: Roosters (Sydney and Atherton) and some other small country town
Position: FiveEighth
Attributes: The best player in the NRL last year, the media has stunted his growth but he will return to the player we know. Will be remembered as one of the greats. A magical player

Charlie124

First Grade
Players name: Arana Taumata

Team played for: Roosters, Bulldogs, Storm, Tigers, Cowboys, Panthers

Why they are the best: All of those clubs have either won, or played in Grand Finals since 2002.....coincidence?? I think not.

Apey

Staff member
Name: Daniel Fitzhenry
Teams: Tigers
Position: Dependant on how Tim Sheens felt that day
Attributes: Great handling, elusive footwork & speed, probably gave great blowies

Name: Anthony Minichiello
Teams: Roosters
Position: Fullback
Attributes: The definitive fullback of the NRL era, he had speed and the ability to break tackles, never made the brainsnaps Slater did, has loyalty unlike Hunt, fought his way back from injury and now the rightful blues fullback.

Name: Todd Carney
Teams: Roosters (Sydney and Atherton) and some other small country town
Position: FiveEighth
Attributes: The best player in the NRL last year, the media has stunted his growth but he will return to the player we know. Will be remembered as one of the greats. A magical player

Needs more Canberra.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Name: Dan Tolar
Teams: Knights
Position: Supposed to be a prop forward
Attributes: Slow as p*** in running the ball up, constantly dominated in tackles, unable to bend the line and falls into tackles, averages about 30 metres a game, Captain Pillow against the Warriors last year (see article here: http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/lead-role-for-dan-tolar/1852892.aspx)

He's our Dantolarunlimited though and holds a special place in the heart of Rick Stone, hence why he gets picked in FG every damn week.

Fibroman

First Grade
Charmayne Palavi = fantastic player. Was rumoured to have slept with half the Cowboys players and was more than happy to share this information on her MYSPACE page. God bless her little cotton socks.

soc123_au

Staff member
Adrian Purtell
Raiders, Panthers
Brutal defender that seems to know what the attacking team is going to do before they do it.
Busts the line at will & super fast.
Also has knees of leather & the lips of an angel.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Player: Jesus Christ
Club: Nazarath Ninjas
Why? Could pass with both hands, kick with both feet and was unbelievable in the wet. Great to have around at after match parties too, never ran out of booze. Career shortened by crippling hand and feet injuries.

Players name: Arana Taumata

Team played for: Roosters, Bulldogs, Storm, Tigers, Cowboys, Panthers

Why they are the best: All of those clubs have either won, or played in Grand Finals since 2002.....coincidence?? I think not.

You're brilliant. Didn't he have a stint at Brisbane too (who coincidently won it all in 2006).

Latest posts