What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Ever NRL Players

grouch

First Grade
Name: Todd Carney
Teams: Roosters (Sydney and Atherton) and some other small country town
Position: FiveEighth
Attributes: The best player in the NRL last year, the media has stunted his growth but he will return to the player we know. Will be remembered as one of the greats. A magical player
Cmon let's get serious. Enough joke posts pls

Byron Knight

Juniors
Player: Jesus Christ
Club: Nazarath Ninjas
Why? Could pass with both hands, kick with both feet and was unbelievable in the wet. Great to have around at after match parties too, never ran out of booze. Career shortened by crippling hand and feet injuries.

:lol::lol::lol:

You're brilliant. Didn't he have a stint at Brisbane too (who coincidently won it all in 2006).

And we put an offer in as well but withdrew our offer just in time.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Club: Nazarath Ninjas

Great team that!
Until that Judas fellow went to rugby union for 40 pieces of gold.

The main playmaker was very inspirational but still got crucified for his performance once he turned 33 though. Some of his teammates got transfered to that feeder club Roma Lions after that :sarcasm:

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Great team that!
Until that Judas fellow went to rugby union for 40 pieces of gold.

The main playmaker was very inspirational but still got crucified for his performance once he turned 33 though. Some of his teammates got sent to that feeder club Roma Lions after that :sarcasm:

Their clashes with the Mecca Mammoths were legendary.

whall15

Coach
Players name: Billy Rogers

Team played for: Parramatta Eels

Why they are the best: Best impact player ever

Raider_69

Post Whore
Who: Jason Bulgarelli
Club: Canberra Raiders
Why: Coolness under pressure... with a bouncing ball in the ingoal, right to his chest and a semi final on the line, there is no one safer than him.

stormbati

Bench
On a serious note, these players are considered among the greats in their positions.

Darren Lockyer, Broncos five eight
Jonathan Thurston, Cowboys halfback
Billy Slater, Storm fullback
Cameron Smith, Storm hooker
Greg Inglis, Rabbitohs centre

All represent Queensland (unfortunately)

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Players name: Arana Taumata

Team played for: Roosters, Bulldogs, Storm, Tigers, Cowboys, Panthers

Why they are the best: All of those clubs have either won, or played in Grand Finals since 2002.....coincidence?? I think not.

You can add the Broncos to that list. His appearance didn't help the premiership chances of the Easts Tigers and Mackay Cutters in the Qld Cup though.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Wally Lewis best player I saw play.

Would loved to have seen

Dally Messenger
Messenger was close to 5ft 8in (172cm) and at his peak in rugby league played at around 12 stone (76kg). Les Cubitt, Kangaroo captain in 1921-22, reckoned he was 'the equal of any two backs who ever played rugby league'. In 1926, Tom McMahon, the game's first great referee in Sydney, explained that Messenger was a 'genius' on the football field. 'There was nothing in the game that he could not do well,' McMahon wrote. 'Catch, field, side-step, swerve, tackle and kick goals from beyond the halfway mark.'

He was the peerless goalkicker of his day and renowned for his unorthodoxy. He developed the skill of passing the ball over the heads of opponents and regathering, a move which was later outlawed. He is known to have kicked towering goals from his own side of halfway and also to have kicked a field goal against Glebe while one leg was pinned by Glebe's captain Chris McKivat. Messenger played a pivotal role in Eastern Suburbs' premiership trilogy in 1911-13, after which his club presented him with the Agricultural Shield.

Dave Brown
He smashed the Kangaroo tour point-scoring record in 1933-34 with 285 points, a tally that is not likely to be approached. And in the mid-1930s he was a giant figure in Eastern Suburbs' premiership wins in 1935-36-37. His premiership records of 38 tries in a season and 45 points in one match, both achieved in 1935, stand to this day. In all games that year he scored 385 points, and was captain in every game he played, at age 22.

Harold Horder

Amazing record for a winger. In 1917, scored 5 tries against Norths, then did it again a month later against the same team. No wonder he went to play for Norths and is included in the South Sydney and North Sydney teams of the century.

NSW need him for SOO. Scored 60 points in 2 games against Qld in 1912. Scored 5 tries and 8 goals in one match then a lazy 5 tries and 7 goals in the next. *Tries were then worth 3 points.

This site has fantastic info and videos on rugby league's greats.

http://www.centenaryofrugbyleague.com.au/site/the-players.aspx

Didgi

Name: Paul Carige

Team: Best remembered at Parramatta Eels

Why he's the best: While he was playing, any team had a chance. The ultimate game opener.

koal4e

Juniors
NRL players as in players who have played in the NRL competition at some point since 1998 or do you mean best ever rugby league players?

Just those that have graced the NRL pitch or historical leagues that are now known to have been part of the NRL formation.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'll name my top 10 (unranked) since about 1980. I'll leave it too the real fossils to go back earlier.
Wally Lewis
Mal Meninga
Peter Sterling
Brett Kenny
Bradley Clyde
Allan Langer
Glen Lazarus
Andrew Johns
Darren Lockyer
Billy Slater

Charlie Saab, Michael Pobji and Mitchell Pearce weren't bad either.

Stagger Lee

Bench
I'ts hard to pick individual players imo because they tend to feed of or be complimented by great players around them. but if you look at the team lists of

Parra early 80's
Balmain late 80's
Raiders early 90's
Brisbane mid /late 90's

You will be spoilt for choice

Then since late 90's salary caps have made it hard for teams to have great era's packed with superstars.

Watch SOO tonight and see who the best are currantly

maccattack

Juniors
You'll always get names like
Sterling
Mortimer
Lewis
Fittler

but there were some others of that era that I always thought were great yet underated.

Rod Wishart springs to mind. Highly athletic and a very clean player. Played tough but fair. Great at Origin level.

Ricky Walford. Just loved his style. Quietly got on with the job. Always good to watch.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I'll name my top 10 (unranked) since about 1980. I'll leave it too the real fossils to go back earlier.
Wally Lewis
Mal Meninga
Peter Sterling
Brett Kenny
Bradley Clyde
Allan Langer
Glen Lazarus
Andrew Johns
Darren Lockyer
Billy Slater

Hard to argue with that list. Freddy Fittler and Steve Mortimer would have to find a place in my ten, who to leave out is a tough one.

Latest posts