What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best fighters in rugby league?

Calixte

First Grade
The Test on Friday reminds me that one of the best fighters was certainly Kevin Tamati of Kiwi fame. He nearly killed Greg "Dishhead" Dowling in the Lang Park test in 1985.

That's worth a watch every now and then (got it on tape still). Great test match too. 26-20 to Aussies in the death.

Certainly Bob Cooper was dangerous.

Les Boyd circa 1978 was a bit of a threat too - although he liked the sneaky stuff as much.

All time, Kevin Ryan from Australia would rate; as would Cliff Watson and an old-timer like Nat Silcock from the UK.

Big Jack Arkwright was certainly at the top of the tree for the Poms also.

The Battle of the Boulevard in 1951 demonstrated that Edouard Ponsinet from France and Arthur Clues from Australia could dish it out as well.

innsaneink

Referee
MC84 said:
How does Mason go?? he one of those big for nothing nuffies or can he actually throw a few??

I remember him running from someone after starting some sh*t last year, forget which game...the replay showed him up for what he is...he put it in reverse quik smart.:lol:

hrundi99

First Grade
C.P said:
Agree with Peter Kelly he was one tough hombre but on the subject of Meninga didnt Mark McGaw punch crap out of him in a charity/testamonial game or something i thought i remembered seeing years ago or maybe it was the other way around.

Meninga pushed Sparkles after a tackle as a joke pretending that the game was really intense. Sparkles took it seriously and started swinging, and Mal responded in self defense.

No, he did NOT punch the crap out of him. The last image I remember was Sparkles cowering and the two of them being pulled apart.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Betham's reputation comes from the time Steve Reardon unwisely decided to give Monty a bit of a facial in a tackle, before anyone had reralised what was happening Betham had landed about 4 or 5 shots straight into Reardon's scone, by aqll accounts he was a pretty sore lad the next day. It made it pretty obvious that Betham knows how to throw a punch and his hand speed is pretty lethal.

Danish

Referee
Meninga would have to be one of the hardest by far.

I think it was quite a few years ago now, but like the AFL vs NRL challenge, it was done with Union. Some kiwi emerging prop in his 20s took on Mal. Mal broke his jaw while he was wearing head gear!

Current players? Morley certainly knows how to throw em.

Hari Kari

Juniors
Breadman said:
I always thought it was some no name Wests reserve grader

Close, was a Balmain reserve grader. The telecrap included Tierney in the incident, but all he did was tell the other three what dickheads they were.

effnic

Bench
There are 2 parts to fighting attack and defence so how do some of you say witt when we all know he cant defend.

Bumble

First Grade
OVP said:
Mal Meninga ... in a charity boxing match against the AFL git Mark Jacko Jackson. Meninga destroyed him soooooo bad in 30 seconds, that i honestly feared for Jackson's life. The single biggest boxing massacre EVER :lol:. Its a shame Mal didnt try out for Boxing ... he'd make it easily. He had a punch that rivalled Tyson, no sh!t.

I remember that...same night the MG knocked some other AFL guy out in 8 seconds!

Latest posts