What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best League Commentators and Shows

saint.nick

Coach
STERLO is the best show by a mile, nothing compares to it. Must watch.

NRL 360 I stopped watching. I find Ikin grating, seems to rely on hyperbole and meaningless stats and just seems not genuine. Kent is full of shit.

I don't mind 360, but the grating manner of Ikin and Kent is definitely annoying. To me, it sounds like they're trying to use it to compensate for something they are missing. I can't pinpoint what that missing thing is. I find Shirvington to be great too. Does anyone know if he still works for us?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Hadley sucks. Last night's commentary with Johns and Freddie during the Tigers V Sharks was kindergarten stuff. It was almost like there was no footy match on at all. A big huge FAIL.

Agree re Hadley, his commentary is absolute crap..as for the Footy Show that's even more crap, especially when you have to listen to Vautin and Ryans stupid one liners....if the panel on there talked more about Footy and stopped trying to make a re run of The Benny Hill Show it may be worth watching.

dragonv

Juniors
Gould is my favourite followed by Voss who I miss hearing on Ch 9.

Gould can be irritating but most of the time he calls it accurately and gets passionate about 'the team with the big red vee'. Sterlo knows his stuff but is too conservative which balances it out well.

blacksafake

First Grade
The game plan, I do miss vossy, & somebody asked if shirvington was still working with us yes he is.

Hadley sucks. Last night's commentary with Johns and Freddie during the Tigers V Sharks was kindergarten stuff. It was almost like there was no footy match on at all. A big huge FAIL.

I agree. honestly, the 'banter' between Hadley and Fittler in Tigers V Sharks game was a disgrace. Talk about bringing the value of the game down. It was an insult to both Tigers and Sharks supporters as fans, and an insult to the intelligence to the rest of us who regretted making the choice to watch because we had to listen to that sh*t. Save it for the bar afterwards!

For just enough humour and larrikin stuff, could not go past Vossey. His best ever one liner was Dragons V Storm, where "Jason Ryles has been cited by the match review committee for a grade 3 wreckless attempt to do the hockey pockey when packing into a scrum". Or I think he even got sent off. He accidently stepped on the opposing front rower's foot.

But first and foremost he (Voss) kept commentry accurate and interesting - that's why he got away with humour.

Generally, our commentators already go too far offering their opinions, but then soooo many others go way further and make their own stupid egos the on-air priority. Compare this to English Soccer calls - just a description of the play and the facts.

Peter Sterling is the consumate professional. I actually think his only bias is slightly against Parra to whom he is sometimes scathing, just so as not to appear bias.

Regrettably, I don't get Sterlo here in Germany.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The Game Plan is awful

It's terrific to hear Andrew Voss calling Warriors games. He as a genuine passion for rugby league & seems to really enjoy commentating.

I don't want to hear about stupid reality shows, how good or bad someone is playing golf or gambling odds. They sound like blokes in a pub with all their in-jokes & rubbish. The lack of research is obvious when players are called by numbers rather than names ( happens almost every game & often multiple times ).

saint.nick

Coach
Does anyone know why Vossy was punted? If a game was dull and slow, he was the best man to have in there to compensate for that. His sacking stinks of politics.

FlameThrower

Bench
Does anyone know why Vossy was punted? If a game was dull and slow, he was the best man to have in there to compensate for that. His sacking stinks of politics.
I think this was due to the Hadlee/Voss legal actions, and with Hadlee signed on, Ch9, ditched Voss. Big mistake. Also Ray Warren is making more mistakes as the weeks go by. As soon as Lockyer, Lewis talk, birds stop flying, bears go into hibernation and we have view into a parallel universe......

I think this was due to the Hadlee/Voss legal actions, and with Hadlee signed on, Ch9, ditched Voss. Big mistake. Also Ray Warren is making more mistakes as the weeks go by. As soon as Lockyer, Lewis talk, birds stop flying, bears go into hibernation and we have view into a parallel universe......

That's hilarious!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

they are such dweebs. Like primary school boys learning how to barn-dance