What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Memories

Old Timer

Coach
Mate The Tigers had great teams back then reminded me of when Balmain beat Souths I was at that GF in 69...Souths had a great side led by Satts and Balmain had Peter Proven (Norms brother)

The 1969 premiership was Balmain's first premiership since 1947 and also proved to be their last premiership triumph. Captain Peter Provan played his last of his 159 games in his nine seasons for Balmain that day. Unfortunately the victory came a year too late for Keith Barnes who played in the losing 1964 and 1966 grand finals and retired at the end of 1968. The win was all the more meritorious after Balmain lost key players Dennis Tutty, Laurie Moraschi and Peter Jones during disputes over money at the start of the season.

69-gf.jpg

Sorry.. nothing to do with Saints but thought Id throw this one in for interest OT

Pretty fair Souths side with all but 3 having or ultimately going on to play for Australia.

denis preston

First Grade
Pretty fair Souths side with all but 3 having or ultimately going on to play for Australia.

Burke,James & Sattler ? Have a look at the 4 Reserves ! 3 went on to play for Australia. No wonder Manly pillaged them in the early 70's.

Was that player who upset Kevin Ryan Richie Powell ?

Old Timer

Coach
Burke,James & Sattler ? Have a look at the 4 Reserves ! 3 went on to play for Australia. No wonder Manly pillaged them in the early 70's.

Was that player who upset Kevin Ryan Richie Powell ?

Burke, Moses and Arthur Branighan.

All the rest had or would ultimately play for Australia not necessarily while they were at South's.

Yes you are correct Richie Powell did the job on Kandos.

Surprising he had won the Sun Herald best and fairest a couple of years before so not sure it was his nature or if he was sent out on a mission which is probable more likely.

Thanks for your input as I was able to look up a bit more and found that it was round 8 in 1966 Dragons won the game 33 - 5 with Lumsden bagging a hat trick.

getsmarty

Immortal
Baz El-Debel born into a love of St George Illawarra

By Andrew Parkinson
March 2, 2016, 4 p.m.

r891_0_3463_2774_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons mad: Jacob, Rihanna, Gabriel and Jayda El-Debel with mum Ronia and dad Baz. The family can't wait to see the Dragons back in action. Picture: Chris Lane

Some people follow a team because of their family.
Some choose their own team later in life.
But for Baz El-Debel, he reckons it was pre-destined.
“I was born in ‘76 which was the year of the Dragon and the element of fire,” he said.
“I was born to be a Dragon.”
El-Debel, of Beverly Hills, was born and raised in St George territory and has supported the club for as long as he can remember.
He wasn’t old enough to remember the triumphs of 1977 or ‘79, but he was old enough to remember the heartbreaks of 1992, ‘93, ‘96 and ‘99.
Luckily for him, his eyes have seen the glory.
“That 2010 grand final was the best memory for me,” he said.

“It was the only grand final I’ve seen us actually win.
“I went to all those grand finals in the ‘90s and cried at each one.
“At the end of [the 2010 grand final] I was crying in the stands again, but I was a bit happier that time.
“By half-time my nails were to the bone but by full-time it was just elation, pure elation.
“I couldn’t believe we’d finally done it.”
r0_0_2139_2905_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ben Hornby

He has seen many of the greats don the Red V, but El-Debel said two members of that premiership-winning team stood out as his favourites.
“For me it’s Ben Hornby and Dean Young,” he said.
“There has been a lot of great players play for Saints.
“I don’t admire those two because they were the flashiest players but they embody what any player wearing the Red V should have.
“You never give up hope, always try your hardest, go that extra mile and play with your heart on your sleeve.
“That’s what I loved about them both as players.”
While St George Illawarra will again split their home games between Jubilee Oval, WIN Stadium, Allianz Stadium, ANZ Stadium and the SCG, El-Debel said one ground had more magic than the rest.
“[Jubilee Oval] is a special place,” he said.
“I love watching games from there, it’s one of the best [grounds to watch a game at].
“The atmosphere, especially when it’s full, it’s just wonderful. The best.”
El-Debel said he was confident the Dragons could push for a top four spot after their eighth-placed finish last season.

St George Illawarra begin their campaign with a trip to Melbourne to face the Storm on Monday night before a local derby against Cronulla.
Their first home game is against South Sydney at the SCG on March 20.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/37...red-v/?cs=3833

Last edited:

duck

Juniors
Here's one for you other oldies.

The old Sydney Sports Ground, now the SFS, had an unusual characteristic.

What was it?

duck

Juniors
Give the man a cigar.

A real nightmare for the team running East to West in the second half.

Bench
1977 grand final replay, Forwatds were brilliant and parts got all that they deserved by rocket and co

Mickthedragon

Juniors
2010 gf hands down. At the game with my wife and sister and absolutely loved it!
Back to jubilee for the after party was pretty sweet too.

Old Timer

Coach
For all the older members nothing better than a Johnny King crash tackle.

Many a winger thought they were away only to be smashed ball and all by King.

"Michelle" Claeary thought he was a shoe in for the Australian wingers job over King one year and in a Dragons v Rabbits game at the SCG Cleary made a break and King came from the blind side hit Michelle like a ton of bricks.

End result Cleary off on a stretcher and King in the Green & Gold.

Nothing dirty just sheer hard footy.

denis preston

First Grade
For all the older members nothing better than a Johnny King crash tackle.

Many a winger thought they were away only to be smashed ball and all by King.

"Michelle" Claeary thought he was a shoe in for the Australian wingers job over King one year and in a Dragons v Rabbits game at the SCG Cleary made a break and King came from the blind side hit Michelle like a ton of bricks.

End result Cleary off on a stretcher and King in the Green & Gold.

Nothing dirty just sheer hard footy.

Good old cartledge . First player to play wing for Australia after all his cartledges removed and surviving a garden mower accident ! Amazing that he took until 1966 to play for Australia but then again Ken Irvine was a legend and always had one wing tied up but selectors had a bad habit of picking centres/Fullbacks on the other wing at times.

Latest posts