What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Off Season Buy

Big Pete

Referee
The Dragons did nothing for Tariq.

It was all Brisbane baby.

And Cowboys fans, you're welcome.

Didn't you see that he wanted the price to be ignored.

Personally i don't see how it is possible to say who is the best buy without taking price into consideration. I don't know how someone getting paid the amount marquee players do that comes off the bench could be the best buy.

Results mean more than money and he is delivering results

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Mateo has a good 2 weeks and he's buy of the year? For what the Warriors paid him he should be buy of the year but he's nowhere close. Tariq Sims for me.

Instead of typing that out, you should've just typed I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE NRL in bold and underlined. Would've saved a few characters.

Who cares what they paid him, the topic is not value buys. Seeing you're like every half-assed Aussie supporter who has NFI what the Warriors are up to, I can assure you Mateo has been massive for about 6-7 weeks since moving into the back-row.

But then again to you the Warriors are probably still 'a massive pack, who can be beaten in the last 20 minutes with fitness and by bombing to Manu Vatuvei who couldn't catch a cold at Mt Smart in winter'.

Either that or it sh*ts you that the Eels are mud whilst Mateo will be an influence come finals footy.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Instead of typing that out, you should've just typed I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE NRL in bold and underlined. Would've saved a few characters.

Who cares what they paid him, the topic is not value buys. Seeing you're like every half-assed Aussie supporter who has NFI what the Warriors are up to, I can assure you Mateo has been massive for about 6-7 weeks since moving into the back-row.

But then again to you the Warriors are probably still 'a massive pack, who can be beaten in the last 20 minutes with fitness and by bombing to Manu Vatuvei who couldn't catch a cold at Mt Smart in winter'.

Either that or it sh*ts you that the Eels are mud whilst Mateo will be an influence come finals footy.

Get f**king Mannering more involved Wazzas!! Got him in the fantasy team!

Big Pete

Referee
You took scott prince from us......... We're even!!!

:lol: and then nearly ruined his career.

I'm surprised more Cowboys fans don't whinge about what happened with Prince. The Broncos set you back a fair way with that signing.

I think Mateo's been pretty good value for the Warriors. What they pay him is their business. Its working.

Im glad not all Eel fans are like that other muppet

If he was a true fan he would still be supporting Mateos Future no matter what club he plays for

Thanks Tezza i guess your halves will be a whole lot better next year

Azkatro

First Grade
Cowboys are miles out in front on player transfers from 2010 to 2011. Not only the gains:

- Gavin Cooper
- Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
- Glenn Hall
- Dallas Johnson
- Ben Jones
- Cory Paterson
- Tariq/Ashton Sims
- Brent Tate
- Antonio Winterstein

Not to mention the great debut season of James Segeyaro who has given us a bit of a new lease of life at times out of dummy half.

To me, it's the players we got rid of that has made all the difference:

- Antonio Kaufusi
- Manase Manuokafoa
- Willie Mason
- Luke O'Donnell
- Steve Rapira
- Steve Southern
- Arana Taumata
- Carl Webb
- John Williams

Now don't get me wrong, most of those guys have been good at one stage or another - but the way they were playing between 2008 and 2010, it was dragging us down badly to have to carry them ALL at once.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
your retention and recruitment SUCK

Oh boy, this is funny. Let's play name association people - what do the following have in common:

J Carney, Watts, Riddell.

Three overweight, under-performing chumps. Oh, and they were your 2011 recruitments! All three could get a serious run in worst buy of the year.

Give Peter O'Sullivan a bottomless pot of money and a speedboat contact and he's devastating. Not so much in Bondi, it seems.

Canard

Immortal
Mateo.

Cowboys bought the best overall. Sims boys, Cooper, Hall, Johnson, Fai Fai Loa and now Tate. All have added something.

Everyone seems to have forgotten Winsterstien, even though he will end up missing about 15 games this season, he was bloody good (not great) in the games he played, and a MASSIVE upgrade.

Cowboys are miles out in front on player transfers from 2010 to 2011. Not only the gains:

- Gavin Cooper
- Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
- Glenn Hall
- Dallas Johnson
- Ben Jones
- Cory Paterson
- Tariq/Ashton Sims
- Brent Tate
- Antonio Winterstein

Not to mention the great debut season of James Segeyaro who has given us a bit of a new lease of life at times out of dummy half.

To me, it's the players we got rid of that has made all the difference:

- Antonio Kaufusi
- Manase Manuokafoa
- Willie Mason
- Luke O'Donnell
- Steve Rapira
- Steve Southern
- Arana Taumata
- Carl Webb
- John Williams

Now don't get me wrong, most of those guys have been good at one stage or another - but the way they were playing between 2008 and 2010, it was dragging us down badly to have to carry them ALL at once.

That's some good broom work.

elyod138

Bench
Big Pete said:
I thought Winterstein was pretty ordinary.

Only above Jones as far as buys go.

I thought he was doing a very good job in the centres. He made a lot of crucial 1 on 1 tackles. He didn't get much ball to do anything in attack.

Cowboys should be having a closer look at Ray Thompson as well.

I'm yet to see him do anything good.

Have you watched him in defence? He's one of the best small defenders in the NRL. Without him we would be easily leaking points, the place where he defends is the area where we had been flimsy at best in the past two seasons.

His attack is coming along slowly, but the last 3 years of his development have been ruined by major injuries, he is a great foil for Thurston at the moment and will only get better.

Last edited:

Latest posts