What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best or Most influential one match performance

Knightmare

Coach
Brett Mullen vs Knights some years ago...dont recall when, dont need to really, all knights and raiders fans know what i am talking about. One of the great individual performances.

Benji marshall's last 20 mins vs the knights this season at Campbelltown. Untouchable. The knights never really recovered from that for the rest of the year.

John's in 05.

Those three stand out to me...im sure there are a lot of others that i have forgotten.

Their form didn't really change all that much after that game, still won a few and lost a few as well.

JT_

Juniors
Minichiello up at Suncorp in 2005. For a fullback it was a mighty effort, he was amazing that night.

Fittler against Knights Prelim final 2000.

Also agree with Lockyer's Tri Nations and Johns' origin game.

GB!

Juniors
- steve jackson '89 GF
- watmough this year origin game 3
- cliffy on any given day

also as a team 40-nil is pretty impressive in last years GF

Joker's Wild

Coach
Kurt Gidley vs us in 06 i think where he played fullback in defence and hooker in attack he carved us up and nearlly won the game for Newcastle by himself from memory i think it was the knights 1st win in 12 weeks.

The Gidley Fullback/Hooker game was Rd 18 '08 mate and we had beaten the Cowboys in Rd 14.

In '05 we had lost our opening 15 matches before beating the Panthers by 4

nqcowboy87

Bench
i just watched a highlights clip of tame tupou on youtube. and i remeber a game he played back in 2006 against the eels he was on fuego, one particular try lockyer threw a cut out to himhe scored he ran down the sideline and virtually just ran into luke burt i think it was and dropped the shoulder and sent him flying and he scored

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I haven't seen a more dominant performance by a Bulldog in recent years apart from Sonny Bill in 2007 against the Raiders.. Scored 3 tries, had a hand in 2 or 3 others, offloaded at will, line breaks and line break assists galore and some huge hits.. It was pretty incredible.

The Tank

Bench
I've not read through this thread yet but I remember a game from Lockyer in the Tri Nations final (05?) against GB. The most perfect first half of footy from a team I've ever seen.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
vs Parra? And i think it was three not four.

Funnily enough i got to ask him about that game a couple of years ago when he was a speaker at a work function. It was the one time that the league hung him out to dry for a performance, needless to say he wasnt that forthcoming with information, but he always believed parra went to newcastle with intent of laying in the ruck for long periods.

It was 3 players but Buettner was binned twice so 4 sin bins all up, Hindmarsh and Dykes were the others. The Knights still struggled to get the win as well.

Big Pete

Referee
God Bowen was awesome that year. His performance against the Broncos also deserves mention. Not only did he score the match winner but he also denied the Broncos on several oppurtunities.

It's a shame he suffered that terrible injury. When he was at his peak, Bowen was the game's best entertainer.

Big Pete

Referee
I've not read through this thread yet but I remember a game from Lockyer in the Tri Nations final (05?) against GB. The most perfect first half of footy from a team I've ever seen.

Tri Nations Final 2004.

Was a brilliant performance and he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he deserved the Golden Boot award ahead of Farrell.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Nah. As a fellow Roosters fan may i bring your attention to the 1st half of our away clash against Penrith back in 2003. They were top of the ladder and absolutely on fire; and apparently were going to cane us.

But we played the most extraordinary 1st half of footy to lead 26 nil at half time. Freddy had an amazing game that day...

If only that Roosters team turned up for the GF!

Tommy Smith

Referee
As for best individual performances, most of the more famous ones have already been covered.

I recall Bedsy having an amazing game for the Knights up at Suncorp a few years ago.

And just on Lockyers great performance in the 04 Tri-Nations final, i recall that Mini put in an equally unbelievably good performance in the same game if thats possible. There was a reason he was Australias Player of the Tri-Nations tour for two years running.

Sonny BIll also did to us what he did to Canberra i believe in his last year. You can all hate that guy as much as you like but when he was on he was by far the msot amazing forward ive ever seen play the game.

The Tank

Bench
Nah. As a fellow Roosters fan may i bring your attention to the 1st half of our away clash against Penrith back in 2003. They were top of the ladder and absolutely on fire; and apparently were going to cane us.

But we played the most extraordinary 1st half of footy to lead 26 nil at half time. Freddy had an amazing game that day...

:lol: I'm actually a Panthers fan! I've been meaning to change my sig!

Twas a great evening had by all... almost all ;-)

Paullyboy

Coach
I'll third (I think that's what we are up to) the Sonny Bill Williams effort against us in 2007. Willie Mason has done it to us a couple of times as well, basically whenever there is a massive unit playing against us - we're stuffed. I'm just appreciative that we don't have to face TLL, he'd deadset carve us up.

Terry Campese against the Panthers in 2008 was one of the most destructive displays a 5/8 will ever put on. The fact we scored 70 points is testimony enough that his performance was up there with the greats.

The other one for me is when Andrew Johns absolutely torched the Cowboys up in Townsville. I still remember that game for some reason, it was pure dominance.