What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Outside Back In The Game?

Number 1 Outside back in the NRL

• Jarrod Hayne

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Justin Hodges

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • Mark Gasnier

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Matt Bowen

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Billy Slater

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Israel Falou

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Karmichael Hunt

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brett Stewart

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Kristian Inu

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Anthony Minichello

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

tiger_nick

Bench
Reading about Jarrod Hayne and Matt Bowens contracts in the papers today got me thinking, who is the premier outside back in the game today? IMO Hayne has over taken the likes of Gasnier, Hodges and Minichello as the numbe 1 outside back. He can cover all 3 positions (fullback,win and center) is an out and out match winner, has stayed injury free and dosen't appear to have any flaws in his game.

tiger_nick said:
Reading about Jarrod Hayne and Matt Bowens contracts in the papers today got me thinking, who is the premier outside back in the game today? IMO Hayne has over taken the likes of Gasnier, Hodges and Minichello as the numbe 1 outside back. He can cover all 3 positions (fullback,win and center) is an out and out match winner, has stayed injury free and dosen't appear to have any floors in his game.
What about windows & doors?

Charlie124

First Grade
tiger_nick said:
Reading about Jarrod Hayne and Matt Bowens contracts in the papers today got me thinking, who is the premier outside back in the game today? IMO Hayne has over taken the likes of Gasnier, Hodges and Minichello as the numbe 1 outside back. He can cover all 3 positions (fullback,win and center) is an out and out match winner, has stayed injury free and dosen't appear to have any floors in his game.

except hitting it (the floor) every time a player runs past him. He needs to take a big dose of harden the f**k up before id even consider him in the top 5 outside backs.

Ahead of Gasnier? no way, Hodges? no way, Mini? only through minis injuries.

My vote, Bowen.

Then theres Folou, Inglis, Slater, Inu to name a few more ahead of Hayne.

Monk

Referee
tiger_nick said:

flaws...

and yeh he is good just he is yhoung and has a few brain explosions which dont always come off...
but he isnt even close to being in the leagues of those three guys...
but id say the number one outside back atm....
ill go with inglis or gaz
brilliant skill

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
I'd say Inglis if he was playing center or fullback, but i'd go with Hodges his an arrogant prick but it doesn't change the fact that his bloody good.

tiger_nick

Bench
LOL there you go boys ive fixed it up.

four responses and every one of them about a spelling mistake, didnt realise the punctuation police were out

Raider_69

Post Whore
At their peak, cant split Gasnier, Hodges and Inglis... Falou will join that elite group shortly

Special K

Coach
Inglis is the best back in the game. Could be the best fullback, centre or wing if he played a full season in any of those positions and he is a handy 5/8 also.

ride the tiger

Juniors
Nick, where's fitzy?

oh, of course, he's left the nrl.

tough choice but i went Hodges based on last year. he was awesome when fit. though probably would have gone inglis if it was an option.

but hayne is right there in my eyes.

nqboy

First Grade
tiger_nick said:
Reading about Jarrod Hayne and Matt Bowens contracts in the papers today got me thinking, who is the premier outside back in the game today? IMO Hayne has over taken the likes of Gasnier, Hodges and Minichello as the numbe 1 outside back. He can cover all 3 positions (fullback,win and center) is an out and out match winner, has stayed injury free and dosen't appear to have any flaws in his game.
Apart from his brain exposions.

A fair argument, though I would argue that he hasn't done a fraction of what Gasnier, Hodges or Minichiello have done in the game, or even what Inglis has done and I still count him as an outside back, 5/8 or not for his club, the rep selectors know where he's best. It's the old chestnut, do you pick purely on form now or are past deeds weighted to give some credit?

If Gasnier gets back to his best, I reckon it's btw him and Joe, with Hodges a cigarette paper in third.