What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Outside Back In The Game?

Number 1 Outside back in the NRL

• Jarrod Hayne

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Justin Hodges

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • Mark Gasnier

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Matt Bowen

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Billy Slater

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Israel Falou

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Karmichael Hunt

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brett Stewart

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Kristian Inu

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Anthony Minichello

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

caylo

Bench
Stan's Number 1 Fan!!! said:
Gasnier is the best without a doubt followed by Hodges and then Shonny Hape

Why is Gas the best, he is prob the worst defensive centre in to comp.. if not close to it. If he doesn't get space he is shut down easily (he isn't that strong). IMO Hodges creates when nothing is on, and is so difficult to tackle it makes it impossible to defend against. And he is a good defender.

Plus the added bonus is he can play 2-3 positions relay well (centre, fullback)

Hanscholo

Bench
No contest, fully fit Gasnier is the best back in the game. Hodges is 2nd, but he has about 1/2 Gas talent.

caylo

Bench
Inglus is no 5-8, and would be the best fullback in the game. bit the bullet, drop slater (or move him to the wing) and play Inglus at fullback. If not move him back to the centres, he is wasted at 6

caylo

Bench
i think the criteria for best outside back involves catching, so Vatuvi is out of the running early on.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
caylo said:
Why is Gas the best, he is prob the worst defensive centre in to comp.. if not close to it. If he doesn't get space he is shut down easily (he isn't that strong). IMO Hodges creates when nothing is on, and is so difficult to tackle it makes it impossible to defend against. And he is a good defender.

Plus the added bonus is he can play 2-3 positions relay well (centre, fullback)
Are you kidding? The bloke has probably averaged only 1 or 2 missed tackles per game over his entire career. His defence is very underrated IMO.

As for his strength in no space, a small fend and some fancy footwork almost always results in a linebreak. Have you ever actually watched the bloke play?

Dazzat

First Grade
Johnny Bravo said:
Are you kidding? The bloke has probably averaged only 1 or 2 missed tackles per game over his entire career. His defence is very underrated IMO.

As for his strength in no space, a small fend and some fancy footwork almost always results in a linebreak. Have you ever actually watched the bloke play?

It's a shame that Fred Hollows died ... because he could have fixed the perpetual blindness of some NSWers who refuse to acknowledge the Hodges is a superior centre to Gasnier.

Just takes a quick look at statistics - Hodges eats Gasnier in total metres gained and line breaks. OK Hodges isn't the greatest defensive centre in the world, but when you create as many tries as Hodges, who cares!!

Caylo is exactly right. I've seen Gasnier shut down in many games. No room, no breaks. On the other hand, Hodges creates opportunities from anywhere - dummy half, out wide, up the middle - you name it.

Aren't there any optometrists in NSW?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Dazzat said:
It's a shame that Fred Hollows died ... because he could have fixed the perpetual blindness of some NSWers who refuse to acknowledge the Hodges is a superior centre to Gasnier.

Just takes a quick look at statistics - Hodges eats Gasnier in total metres gained and line breaks. OK Hodges isn't the greatest defensive centre in the world, but when you create as many tries as Hodges, who cares!!

Caylo is exactly right. I've seen Gasnier shut down in many games. No room, no breaks. On the other hand, Hodges creates opportunities from anywhere - dummy half, out wide, up the middle - you name it.

LOL!!! Typical Qld biased bullsh*t :lol:

Hodges has been a complete ghost the past few Origin series because every single time Matt Cooper has shut him down (Not that its relevant to the head to head argument, just pointing it out because it shows hes often overrated at Origin level)

Gasnier consistently breaks the line, consistently sets up tries for his winger (you know there's a brilliant centre at work when someone like Colin Best can be a clubs leading try scorer)

Queenslanders. D***heads one day... oh wait, still d***heads the next

drake

First Grade
08 will reconfim the Gasnier dynasty is no myth. Hard to judge a bloke who was injured most of last season, and was out of position the rest.

Bias or no, I still rate Gas above all else.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hodges is the best centre in the game at the moment. The games he did play in 2007, he was well ahead of any other player. This is from a Blues supporter.

Mark Gasnier at his peak might have changed that. But he was injured most of the season, and Hodges is now a bit ahead of him. It's just a pity Greg Inglis doesn't play centre. That would solve the issue altogether.

Azkatro

First Grade
Dazzat said:

I'm a Queenslander mate, born and bred, but I think on his day Mark Gasnier is a better centre than Hodges. If you honestly don't think he's a massive threat when he gets the ball in a bit of space near the line then you are talking out of your arse.

EGGG

Juniors
Mini and Gasnier are the best when healthy, but they are always hurt.

Bowen it is then.

netic

Juniors
Inglis for me and then followed by Slater.....

Even though slater is rarely talked about these days he is still a match winner and in my opinion the most dangerous back in the game along with bowen, i just beleive Slaters defence is alot better then bowens

Latest posts