What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Outside Back In The Game?

Number 1 Outside back in the NRL

• Jarrod Hayne

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Justin Hodges

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • Mark Gasnier

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Matt Bowen

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Billy Slater

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Israel Falou

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Karmichael Hunt

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brett Stewart

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Kristian Inu

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Anthony Minichello

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Bigfella

Coach
Most people seem to have mistaken the title of this thread for "who is the best fullback at your club"...

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Dazzat said:
It's a shame that Fred Hollows died ... because he could have fixed the perpetual blindness of some NSWers who refuse to acknowledge the Hodges is a superior centre to Gasnier.

Just takes a quick look at statistics - Hodges eats Gasnier in total metres gained and line breaks. OK Hodges isn't the greatest defensive centre in the world, but when you create as many tries as Hodges, who cares!!

Caylo is exactly right. I've seen Gasnier shut down in many games. No room, no breaks. On the other hand, Hodges creates opportunities from anywhere - dummy half, out wide, up the middle - you name it.

Aren't there any optometrists in NSW?
That's interesting, because I don't recall ever mentioning Hodges in my post.

Hodges has been great the last 2 years, but on his day, I'd still say Gasnier is more dangerous with the ball in hand.

But thank you for sharing your thoughts on my blindness for clearly saying that Hodges is completely inferior to Gaz in every way, without ever mentioning his name. I love it when morons such as yourself put words in my mouth.

But seeing you're so keen to compare the stats of each.... Where exactly does hodges "annihilate" gasnier in attack (I omitted 2007 because it's not a fair comparison)

Hodges
10 tries
7 try assists
23 line breaks

11 tries
5 try assists
12 line breaks

Gasnier
18 tries
10 try assists
19 line breaks

8 tries
9 try assists
10 line breaks

Dazzat

First Grade
Gasnier is a great centre - fantastic step, great acceleration and sets up his outside supports superbly. Hodges is just ... well, better.

You talk about Hodges being shut down during Origin ... he played injured this year and probably shouldnt' have. But being a Queenslander ... you know ... you do it for the team, and field the harsh evaluations of your form later (see above).

I take back the NSW blindness crack ... you'll notice a few posts from able-sighted people south of the border who agree with me - and most of those voting in this thread (how many times have you voted under alias Johnny B?)

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hahahaha, every time someone doubts Hodge's ability, his fans say hes been "playing hurt"

Seems he's been playing injured for about 3 years now hey...

Mortar

Juniors
Oh hutty still trying to compare Matt "sack o' pototoes" Cooper with hodges?:lol:

Is your vision that blinded by the ballsack hanging between your eyes that you haven't noticed some Nswelshmen choosing hodges and Qlders choosing gasnier?

But yes NSWelshmen think QLDers are dickheads and QLDers think NSWelshmen are wankers but everyone agrees that your a f**kwit!

Charlie124

First Grade
The Gasnier V Hodges argument is a fair one, theyre both great centres and i dont think either one is far ahead/behind the other. But even mentioning Matt Cooper in this argument is ridiculous, he isnt sh*t but there are SOOOOO many better centres in the game than him, in fact most teams would have at least one better (most that is)

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Dazzat said:
Gasnier is a great centre - fantastic step, great acceleration and sets up his outside supports superbly. Hodges is just ... well, better.

You talk about Hodges being shut down during Origin ... he played injured this year and probably shouldnt' have. But being a Queenslander ... you know ... you do it for the team, and field the harsh evaluations of your form later (see above).

I take back the NSW blindness crack ... you'll notice a few posts from able-sighted people south of the border who agree with me - and most of those voting in this thread (how many times have you voted under alias Johnny B?)
I haven't mentioned Hodges in origin, nor have I mentioned his or Gasnier's injuries. Sorry to disappoint you but I haven't voted more than once either.

It's a flip of the coin who is the best player between the two. There are a few "able-sighted" people north of the border who think Gaz is better as well. From a personal perspective, I get more excited when Gasnier has the ball in his hand than Hodges, he has the best footwork in the game.

But thats all irrelevant now, you're a deadset goose, you've been shown up for the fool you are, and you're still carrying on with it. The only one-eyed supporter carrying on is you.

I look forward to you putting some more garbage in my mouth.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes, they are both great players, problem being they both play right side.

When they were both picked for Australia in the centres, Justin Hodges graciously gave Gasnier his favoured side and played on the left side. This affected his play ... Hodges didn't have anywhere near the impact he usually did in those games, but that's the kinda bloke he is, and at the risk of sounding parochial, reflects the culture at the Broncos.

My apologies mate, it was Hutty who played the "Origin" card.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Mortar said:
Oh hutty still trying to compare Matt "sack o' pototoes" Cooper with hodges?:lol:

Is your vision that blinded by the ballsack hanging between your eyes that you haven't noticed some Nswelshmen choosing hodges and Qlders choosing gasnier?

But yes NSWelshmen think QLDers are dickheads and QLDers think NSWelshmen are wankers but everyone agrees that your a f**kwit!

LOL yes, he's a "sack of potatoes" who consistently gets picked for NSW. Because of course, you have more knowledge than a State Of Origin selector right? :lol: :lol: Tosser

He's the best defensive centre in the comp and one of the better centres in the NRL.
But you wouldn't understand that, I stupidly assumed you had a mere ounce of Rugby league knowledge.

Fact: Cooper has shut down Hodges time after time. You can't handle it, princess. Boo-farkin hoo :roll:

I never once said Hodges isn't a brilliant centre, I just said I think Gasnier is more dangerous. Whoever threw up the "can't tackle" card has nfi because that was a myth that was dispelled years ago.

caylo

Bench
Hutty1986 said:
Whoever threw up the "can't tackle" card has nfi because that was a myth that was dispelled years ago.

Do you remember 2006 semifinal against the storm. Although Melbourne was minor premiers the dogs and dragons were tipped to be the grand final teams, and Mr Mark Gasnier missed two of the most simples tackles (regulation centre one on one tackles) that DIRECTLY lead to tries and lost you the match. (the last game he played of any significance relay)
Your best player are meant to win you games not loss you them, Gasnier is an arm grabber, and has to be one of the worst defensive centres in the comp. On the other hand your love child Cooper (who is only picked for origin because NSW has no-one else) is a good defensive centre, but has the attacking prowess of a dormant rabbit.

Hodges will always be remembered for his inexperience which lead to two NSW tries in Origin 1, but he stands up more often then Gasnier. This is a pretty objective view as well, i don't have any reason to like or hate either player, but i do think Gasnier is over-rated. Not a complete player, and has one attacking option, his step (wahooo! :roll: )

Charlie124

First Grade
Hodges gifted the Panthers a win this year too, a couple of minutes from fulltime with an 8 point buffer and he tries to be too cute with some stupid grubber kick, Jennings picks up and streaks away to score.

You can also blame Boyd for that loss though.

Butters

Bench
Charlie124 said:
Hodges gifted the Panthers a win this year too, a couple of minutes from fulltime with an 8 point buffer and he tries to be too cute with some stupid grubber kick, Jennings picks up and streaks away to score.

You can also blame Boyd for that loss though.

Didnt Hodges score 4 tries in that game? Cant really blame him for that loss he was the only bronco who could do anything that night.

badav

Bench
Hutty1986 said:
LOL yes, he's a "sack of potatoes" who consistently gets picked for NSW. Because of course, you have more knowledge than a State Of Origin selector right? :lol: :lol: Tosser

Thats a very poor argument when you consider two things
1) NSW hasnt won origin since 2005
2) His center partner this year was Jamie Lyon

So you would want to be relying on more than the "you know more than selectors" argument. Alot more.

DeeJ

Bench
Who cares who his centre partner was? Centers barely ever interact with each other.

Although I can remember in this years origin Lyon running all the way across the field and throwing a hospital pass to Cooper.

Bigfella

Coach
On form displayed as an outside back in 2007, measured by their contributions to winning games, by kick return, try scoring, setting up tries, line breaks, and defense:

1. Bowen
2. Slater
3. Hodges and you could make a case for any one of them. I have them in that order because I think Hodges tailed off towards the end of season with injuries and attitude.

Folau Inglis and Hayne have as much talent as these guys and will soon be at their level. They are not quite their but any of them may surpass them.

Interestingly - the best performed outside back over the finals (and final rounds which were defacto semi finals) was easily Timana Tahu, who outpointed Hodges, Slater, Inglis and Folau over the final few weeks of the comp.

Gasnier can't be considered because he was largely unseen but his form after returning from injury was absolutely slashing and the glimpses he showed proved he is in this class and at the highest level.

badav

Bench
DeeJ said:
Who cares who his centre partner was? Centers barely ever interact with each other.

Although I can remember in this years origin Lyon running all the way across the field and throwing a hospital pass to Cooper.

Gee way to let that one totally fly over your head.

The point was coming out and trying to say that selectors know better than anyone when they picked a nuffy like Jamie Lyon for 3 games (two of which NSW lost anyway) is f*cking stupid.

Is that easy enough to understand.

Hutty1986

Immortal
badav said:
Thats a very poor argument when you consider two things
1) NSW hasnt won origin since 2005
2) His center partner this year was Jamie Lyon

So you would want to be relying on more than the "you know more than selectors" argument. Alot more.

There is a lot more. Just the fact he's the best left centre in the game

The fact Lyon got anywhere near a SOO jersey this year is a joke.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Bigfella said:
On form displayed as an outside back in 2007, measured by their contributions to winning games, by kick return, try scoring, setting up tries, line breaks, and defense:

1. Bowen
2. Slater
3. Hodges and you could make a case for any one of them. I have them in that order because I think Hodges tailed off towards the end of season with injuries and attitude.

Folau Inglis and Hayne have as much talent as these guys and will soon be at their level. They are not quite their but any of them may surpass them.

Interestingly - the best performed outside back over the finals (and final rounds which were defacto semi finals) was easily Timana Tahu, who outpointed Hodges, Slater, Inglis and Folau over the final few weeks of the comp.

Gasnier can't be considered because he was largely unseen but his form after returning from injury was absolutely slashing and the glimpses he showed proved he is in this class and at the highest level.

Finally someone not being completely biased and blindly singing Hodge's praises or bleating pro-Qld bullsh*t