What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best song ever written?

Now I know theres a few oldies here, so cast your minds back to good old days of music and what are your honest opinions are for 'The Best Song Ever Written'

Me and my choices

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
Tool - Third Eye
Pink Floyd - Us And Them
Metallica - One
Guns N Roses - November Rain
Rush - Anything from 2112

K

Kiwi

in the chat room tradition for a night it would have to be

Asshole - Dennis Leary

Just like the movie thread I'll no doubt change my mind but for now...

Led Zep - Stairway To Heaven
Cold Chisel - Anything.
Metallica - One.
Slipknot - Wait And Bleed.

Is it just me or was Metallicas S&M albumdestined to being a classic from the moment it was released?

Ozbash2

Juniors
Gosh, so many to name
emcrook.gif

Shine on you crazy diamond - Pink Floyd
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Brain Damage - Pink Floyd ...

where do I stop ????

B

Bomber

Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn, Choir Girl, Cheap Wine
Hunters and Collectors - Holy Grail, Throw Your Arms Around Me, When The River Runs Dry, Where Do You Go
Midnight Oil - Short Memory, Beds Are Burning, Kosciuszko, Only The Strong, Power And The Passion, US Forces, Read About It, Dreamworld, Best of Both Worlds, The Dead Heart, Forgotten Years......shit, any Oils song......
AC/DC - Thunderstruck, TNT, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Who Made Who
Led Zep - Starway to Heaven
Split Enz - Six Months in a Leaky Boat
Crowded House - Better Be Home Soon, Weather With You
Pink Floyd- The Wall ('....oi, dickhead, leave those kids alone....')
Les Miserables (!) - Do You Hear The People Sing?

Cheers
Bomber

imported_bronco

Juniors
I am totally biased on this subject because Maynard James Keenan has written some beauties in his time with Tool:Schism, 4 Degrees, The Grudge, Sweat, Third Eye, Reflection, Flood etc etc. Theres so many I could name, you can't really skim the surface with his lyrics because they all really hold deeper meanings and theres some great sites around going into the depth behind Tool songs.

MFC how could you put Aenema as one of the most well written songs ever let alone by Tool? Its a not a bad piece showing the shallowness of LA but I don't think its in the same league as some of the other songs written by Maynard.

On the S&M album I've got to agree with the comments of a few here that it packs plenty of punch. I was surprised how well the orchestra complemented Metallica. I'm not a huge fan of the band myself but its one of their albums that I enjoy.

Mate, i guess its a matter of choice.

I love it, the song is a dig at society in general and a really one. Lyrics such as 'f**k all you junkies and f**k your short memories' is great stuff.

I dunno, it just appeals. The other songs you listed are all very good to well. Its hard to pull one out of such a big bunch.

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Fair enough MFC, each to their own. Aenema is still one of my favourite songs I just wouldn't personally put it up there with some of the most well written songs. I just feel that it uses a bit too much of the F word, not that I'm a prude just that I think Maynard has written alot of songs where he doesn't need to use swearing to give the song effect.

J

Johnsy

When the War is over & Forever now - Cold Chisel
I remember you - Skid Row
Girl nation - DAD
Baker Street- Cant remember the guys name ???
There could be thousands, thgat will do for now.
Johnsy

As expected theres a few Floyd songs and another is: Wish You Were Here

Other great songs are:

Tool - Lateralus, Reflection, Sober, Pushit

A Perfect Circle - Orestes, 3 Libras (written by maynard of tool with help from billy howerdel)

Opeth - To Bid You Farewell, The Drapery Falls(Opeth's latest album 'Blackwater Park' is one of the best hard metal albums you will ever hear. One of the most talented bands I've heard in a long time)

Tomahawk - Point and click (anything Mike Patton does is genius)

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm ( IMO, the Pumpkins best)

U2 - One ( I dislike U2 but this is still a great song, and almost sits on 'classic' status)

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir, Over The Hills And Far Away

Live - Pillar Of Davidson

And the others have already been mentioned.

MFC, lyrically Aenema is not Tool's peak in songwriting ability. Hands down winner would be either Schism or Reflection. However I saw Tool live last month, and it's fair to say that Aenema is the most intense. Yep . Best feel good song ever!

ex-manager

Juniors
On Ilkla Moor Baht'at.

<table bordercolor=#111111 cellspacing=5 cellpadding=5 width=600 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee,
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?! </td></tr> <tr> <td>Tha's been a cooartin' Mary Jane
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Tha's been a cooartin' Mary Jane
Tha's been a cooartin' Mary Jane
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr> <tr> <td>Tha's bahn t'catch thi deeath o'cowd
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Tha's bahn t'catch thi deeath o'cowd
Tha's bahn t'catch thi deeath o'cowd
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at</td></tr> <tr> <td>Then we shall ha' to bury thee
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at vThen we shall ha' to bury thee
Then we shall ha' to bury thee
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr> <tr> <td>Then t'worms 'll cum and eat thee oop
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Then t'worms 'll cum and eat thee oop
Then t'worms 'll cum and eat thee oop
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr> <tr> <td>Then ducks 'll cum and eat oop t'worms
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Then ducks 'll cum and eat oop t'worms
Then ducks 'll cum and eat oop t'worms
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr> <tr> <td>Then we shall go an' ate oop ducks
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Then we shall go an' ate oop ducks
Then we shall go an' ate oop ducks
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr> <tr> <td>Then we shall all 'ave etten thee
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Then we shall all 'ave etten thee
Then we shall all 'ave etten thee
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr> <tr> <td></td></tr> <tr> <td>That's wheer we get us oahn back
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
That's wheer we get us oahn back
That's wheer we get us oahn back
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at </td></tr></tbody></table>

I agree Bronco, swearing becomes ineffective when it is overused in songs. Its just in Aenema that i think every 'swear word' fits. I think it was Mark Twain who once said that swearing is a 'haven for the semi literate' or something like that. But still, swearing and passion commonly go hand in hand i think Aenema is an example of that.

Over here, they are now playing the top 10 rock songs of all time as we type. Im hoping for Brick in the wall but it will probably something like Khe Sahn, which i think would have to be one of the most overrated songs ever. Sure, its ok, but come on, its nothing more than that. Just my view of course, ill probably cop a barrage of abuse for that one.

Moffo.

O

ozbash

gee gav, that was pretty impresive mate.
why dont you give us a verse on that wav thing on last weekends "voices " thread.

i am becoming a huge appreciator of the pogues.they have a very similar sound to a coal miners band from the west coast/sth island known as the Kokatahi band.
my uncle used to play the bones (spoons) in it.....

imported_bronco

Juniors
Agreed moff, Swearing seems to be the only card these modern day rock bands have left to play. Bands like Slipknot and Limp Bizkit use swearing to theextent that I feel makes their bands lose all credibility and can easily be shoved under the mindless ranting fools section.

I'd put Aenema with other Tool songs like Hooker with a penis and Hush, not the best lyrically but pack effect in a different way thanwhat lyrically stronger Tool songs do. What better line is there to shout out than "F**k L Ron Hubbard and F**k all his (stoopid Scientologist) clones"?

Oz and gav, I think it would be sad if your basing your opinions of modern day music on the mainstream crap we are subjected to. I couldn't agree more that this current pop culture is just trash. We see these musically talentless individuals become international superstars. People like Britney Spears can sing and thats where the talent ends, she will have all her lyrics and music written for her which basically makes her just the face of a big music corporation trying to squeeze every possible dollar out of the public. Nothing makes me laugh and cringe more than watching these popstars series popping up around the world.

ex-manager

Juniors
Bronco, the only modern music I can listen to is R&amp;B, I'm more a fan of black music than white anyway.

The alternative/indie type stuff of today is basically going over the same old ground, it bores me.

Beside's, I've mellowed with age, don't feel the need to prove how radical I am anymore.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Fair enough gav, not a huge fan of black music myself, as I said earlier each to their own (very hypocritical of me after I've just ripped into pop music and the people that listen to it
emsmiled.gif
).

Just a small thing, I don't think that music is about trying to be radical, I'm anything but. Though tool do present some radical views yet their not far from the truth looking at the very shallow society we live in.

Have you had enough of me preaching the word that the sun shines from Tools arse yet
emteeth.gif
? Can you feel the warm glow?