What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best song ever written?

Cant feel the warmth but can definitly smell the ****!
emwink.gif

They just had Enter Sandman - Metallica as the number one rock song on Triple M. Im happy, big fan of that song, hence my email address!

Moffo.

Weirdly enough, i didn't mind 2pac and still dont mind music like Snoop Dogg, Wyclef Jeanand Dr Dre. Its weird, i dont think its the music that draws me, its that they have passion in there songs and are at least interesting enough to try new things. Love him or hate him, 2pac was always interesting and did have some interesting messages if u read between the lines. But really, my music tastes are pretty warped and wide.

Moffo.

Bronco - they had Stairway To Heaven, Under the Bridge, Thunderstruck, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Alive, Khe Sahn, Come Out and Play and something else i can't remember.

Alive was 2nd, Khe Sahn 3rd.

Na, i like Enter Sandman. All time classic IMO :)

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
lol gotta laugh at thunderstruck being in there.

Theres also a couple of other bands that produce some good music. I'm a pumpkins and Rage fan myself. The Pumpkins have rolled out some beauties in the everlasting gaze, zero, bullet with butterfly wings, perfect, disarm, ava adore etc etc.
Then when you look at Rage its hard to find songs that really stand out. Voice of the Voiceless would have to be one of my favourites. They send out a very political message and you either like them or you don't.

Rage was the American version of U2. Quite often protest music, but passionate and usually brillant.

I prefer u2 though. I saw a bit of the elevation tour concert last night and U2 would still have to be one of the best bands going around. Some say they are repetitive, i don't buy that, they have sang a wide variety of songs, everything from Disco-teque to Beautiful day to All I want is you

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Really depends on your taste in music, I'd probably put U2 in the category of soft rock. Personally I prefer Rage who are alot heavier, a little more radical and a little less mainstream. I do think that Rage can be a little bit repetitive but their good to listen to in small doses and give out some interesting messages.

A few other songs to throw into the mix are Dazed and Confused and Good times Bad times by Led Zeppelin, in fact the whole Led Zeppelin 1 album is pretty good along with the Song remains the same album which has Stairway to heaven, No Quarter and Dazed and Confused on it.

"they had Stairway To Heaven, Under the Bridge, Thunderstruck, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Alive, Khe Sahn, Come Out and Play"

Now they are all good songs but the top 10 ever written? No. The only exception is Stairway To Heaven. A timeless classic, and no matter what genre of music you prefer, it will always be referred to as a great. It recieved noradioplay because LedZeppelin chose not to release it as a single, but it still ends up one of the most popular songs ever. The message in the song is just as mysterious, but still relevant. How Jimmy Page and Robert Plant wrote Stairway I have no idea.

My musical brain tells me that Under The Bridge is by the Chili Peppers, Thunderstruck by AC/DC, Teen Spirit by Nirvana, Alive by Pearl Jam, Khe Sahn by Cold Chisel, and Come Out And Play by Offspring.

Now in 20 years time, none of these bands will be remembered in a way like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Tool, and neither will their songs be remembered other than just decent pop/rock hits. Music is an art people.

You'll catch my drift when you listen to a song such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" after a song such as "Reflection' or 'Third Eye" by Tool. Note the differences....

Anyways I think Stairway has been mentioned the most so far ......

Bronco,
I think 'No Quarter' is actually on 'Houses Of The Holy' and 'Stairway To Heaven' is on Led Zeppelin 4-- one of the greatest albums ever.
emthup.gif

Just a few tips from your local Led Hed.
emnote.gif

I'm interested in Rush's new release Vapor Trails. Big Rush fan.

\m/

"Rage was the American version of U2. Quite often protest music, but passionate and usually brillant."

Muff I have to disagree there mate. In no way can I find similarities between Rage and U2. Rage are a very politically oriented band. Very. Their music is a blend between Funk/Rock/Hard Rock/ , U2 are a mix between Pop/Soul/Soft Rock. U2 are involved heavily in mainstream, Rage not so much. Rage didn't protest 'music' as such, but they did and still do protest the American Government and it's apparent flaws. Rage's fan base consists mostly of teenagers, U2's fan base consists mostly of adults with a liking for pop music.

Tom Morello is a bad ass guitarist anyway.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Footy, checking through the album release dates, Led Zeppelin 4 was apparently released in 2001. I'm no "Led Head" so I don't know how acurate that is but yes No Quater was on Houses of the holy released 3 years before Song remains the same.

The amazing thing about Zeppelin is that when they came together for their first album they created it in 24 hours. 1 day to make one of the greatest albums I've listened to is an amazing feat. Zeppelin have inspired so many bands since and we wouldn't have bands like Tool today if it wasn't for them.

Smells like teen spirit, Under the bridge, Alive, Come out and play and Thunderstruck aren't really considered classics now, this radio station needs a good kick up the arse to put bands like the Chillies and Offspring in there.

" My musical brain tells me that Under The Bridge is by the Chili Peppers, Thunderstruck by AC/DC, Teen Spirit by Nirvana, Alive by Pearl Jam, Khe Sahn by Cold Chisel, and Come Out And Play by Offspring.

Now in 20 years time, none of these bands will be remembered in a way like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Tool, and neither will their songs be remembered other than just decent pop/rock hits. Music is an art people."

Footy, i just can't agree with that. AC/DC are a good fun band, ill give you that, probably not brillant musicians. I have never had much time for Barnesy or Cold Chisel, so ill give u that as well. Offspring have gone poppy so i might give u that one as well. Chilli Peppers are awesome, i won't give u that one, songs like Californication are memorable. Buttt, ill take big issue with 2 names there. Nirvana were one of the biggest things to happen to music. Cobain made some music that is timeless. Id rate Nirvana as one of the most influential bands of all time, and will definitely be remembered come 20yrs down the track.

And Pearl Jam. Are you joking around mate??? They are the bomb
emsmile.gif
The best band of the 90s, no one will convince me otherwise. The beauty lies in some of the tracks that they haven't realised. Yesterday, Present Tense and Black are some of the most awesome songs that you will ever here. Further, Ed Vedder isn't a glory seeker and the band still very much has a cult following. The last 7 pearl jam cds have debuted at no1 in Australia, and they have rarely toured here. They dont do much publicity, rarely make film clips and in general dont jump on the media bandwagon. Ed Vedder is an icon, a person i would rate above almost any other musician in the history of modern music.

Moffo.

ex-manager

Juniors
I'm beggining to think that the youth of Oz and NZ are as bland in their musical taste as those from some US midwestern state like Nebraska or Minnesota.

Is TripleM the Oz equivelent of Virgin Radio?

u2 aren't political? fair go, Bono actively protests against the political situation in Ireland, third world debt in Africa and the general selfishness of governments around the world. U2 only went mainstream because Bono had such a big following, it just couldn't stay 'underground'.

Rages music had a lot of protest themes in it. Look at songs such as the one where they shut down the stock exchange (total mind blank, cant remember the name of it). It is a protest song, much like Sunday Bloody sunday was 'perceived' to be at the time...Cant agree with you there, the followings of both groups are very diverse as well.

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
I was going to touch on footys comments of U2 as well. I don't think it matters what music you put in behind the bands the messages are very clear and very pollitical and there is alot of similarities behind the two bands.
I also wouldn't narrow Rages following down to just teenagers. I think they have a wider range of support than you'd like to think with the type of messages they put out there.

As i said b4, its sad that the subtleties of modern day music (excluding the pop crap) are totally misunderstood by most

Moff

Bronco

Led Zeppelin 4 in 2001?! No shit where do you get these facts from?. Zeppelin 4 was released in '69. It could be a remastered version though.
Generally De La Rocha's lyrics for Rage are suited for teenagers through that whole teen-angst phase, or people with the same political interests and views. I don't expect anyone over 30 to discard their Dean Martin records for Rage though....
emdgust.gif

MFC,

I don't doubt U2 are politically oriented in some way, but musically they are not similar to Rage. I also don't doubt U2's talent.
And yeah Pearl Jam are class! But theres no depth in their songs that can make you really think and really use your mind. Good classic rock hits they might be, and that's fine if your tailored to suit radio and mainstream , but I think the real gems of music lie where the mystery is.