What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best worst call by commentator

JamesRustle

First Grade
Just watching 2011 Round 25, Sea Eagles v. Storm (the battle of Brookvale) when something Gus said, while gushing over DCE and Foran, made me laugh.

Rabs: Gee, you know, this combination of Cherry Evan's and Foran, they've been thrown together this year and everybody was confident, but they're playing with such confidence. Theyre playing like they've been together for donkeys years.

Gus: Well, you, you wait until they've been together for donkeys years. I just, I cant imagine what it'll be like in 4 or 5 years time when these kids are at their peak. Having played together all that time, provided they're, they're injury free, and we certainly hope they are, but this is, I think, a real legendary combination in the making.

Sterlo: its they're decision making as much as anything.

With they amount of dribble the commentators (especially Rabs, Gus and Ray) go on with, there would be any number of such comments, that in hindsight, are pretty funny or abject failure. Any spring to mind?

Willie Ray

Bench
My favourite also involves Manly but it was the wit and profound insights of the great Blocker Roach...
after half time Jake Trbojevic really lifted and was having a blinder when Block came up with this gem...
"What's got into Jake Trbojevic,he's like Superman...what'd he have at halftime...Kryptonite?"
God bless him.

King hit

Coach
2016 Sharks V Cowboys preliminary final. Lockyer interviews Michael Ennis after the game and produces this golden gem

Lockyer in his trademark voice: "Congragulations Mick enjoy your first grand final what a wonderful way to finish your career you truly deserve this, good luck next sunday"

Ennis looking confused: "Ah second mate I played in 2012 remember" and gave Locky a smile

Lockyer just stood there looking at him awkwardly and the cameras had to cut away from him.

JamesRustle

First Grade
To be fair, most footy fans would’ve agreed with that comment at the time.
True.

Funny though as the 4-5 year timeframes was about when Manly blew up and the off field decision making of the two halves was poor. Foran left and has never been the same, DCE reneged on the titans and sucked up a lot of cap space on his long term deal that seemed to exacerbate Manly's roster problems.

SOO1 1998 .first game after the Sl war was over .
About 4-5. Mins left Menzies scores ....puts NSW up by 5 (Johns missed conversion)
Roach on sideline ....gives his thoughts on the try ...ends with & THATS THE BALLGAME.
Rabs says hold on a minute I wouldn't say that just yet..Qld could come back

Roach: HA well I would .

Lol Qld score just before full time next to posts ..locky converts ..Qld win 23-22

King hit

Coach
"Just another game"

Bless the kid, he's going to be a shining light in an otherwise shit team for the foreseeable future.

That's if you manage to hold on to him as he has expressed interest in switching to Union before.

Thanks for reminding me about that interview. That was classic.

Reflector

Juniors
Cowboys v Bulldogs at Dairy Farmers circa 2005. SBW was on the sideline and the Ch 9. cameras deadset stayed on him for half a minute while the game was playing.

Fatty: "There's 21,000 people here tonight- and they've all come here to see Sonny Bill."

But going through shit Fatty calls is like going through entertaining Sticky press conferences.

TheDalek079

Bench
during a Roosters v Bulldogs game, Rabs mentions that the biggest scoreline between the team was a Roosters 87-7 victory back in 1935. One of the Johns brothers cheekily asks if that game went to golden point and Rabs actually has to think for about 10 or 15 seconds before realising a game won 87-7 couldn't have been a golden point game

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Andrew Johns - "I think New South Wales will win, and win well".

Next minute -

r157712_572111.jpg

-state-of-origin-flashback-GettyImages-71600877.jpg

4827126-3x4-340x453.jpg

29579a2e5194be9312c4e61944cd5678

images

Or just about any other time the drugged up donkey coughs his way through a commentary.

Latest posts