What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better Call Saul

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Brilliantly done, expected nothing less from Gilligan and Gould the men are phenomenal.

To make a ‘spin off’ of arguably the greatest television show ever made took tremendous balls. Realistically it was a slim chance they could follow up with anything that would be considered a success, especially with the added pressure of hardcore critical BB Fans and the general consensus of the online world that looks for excuses to hate things these days.

To consider they ended up with a product which arguably surpassed it is really quite stunning.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
I liked Breaking Bad but it wasn't my favourite show. Top 5 for sure. Better Call Saul is also now in that top 5, ahead of Breaking Bad.

Together, though, as one story? I'm not sure there's anything better. Jimmy McGill, or Saul, is definitely one of the greatest TV characters to exist.

soc123_au

Staff member
A perfect ending to maybe the best show ever made
I’m not sure it knocks Sopranos off the pedestal, but there isn’t much in it. The more I think about it, it’s too close to call. Imagine what GoT could have been with the same care and attention to detail.

The Sopranos will always be No.1 in my view. It opened up television to a whole new level. Shows after them have benefited.
I'm quite prepared to say that BCS is my No.2 now though.
Other notables, BB, The Wire, Peaky Blinders.... and the early seasons of both SOA and GOT. I was sad that the last two dropped away so dramatically.

soc123_au

Staff member
The Sopranos will always be No.1 in my view. It opened up television to a whole new level. Shows after them have benefited.
I'm quite prepared to say that BCS is my No.2 now though.
Other notables, BB, The Wire, Peaky Blinders.... and the early seasons of both SOA and GOT. I was sad that the last two dropped away so dramatically.
I need to give Peaky Blinders another go. I only got halfway through the first season and got distracted by something else and never went back.
It’s funny you mention SOA and GoT. One was ridiculously rushed to the end & the other went a season too long.

Apey

Staff member
Not sure there will ever be a better character than Tony Soprano. Vince Gilligan said at some point there's no Walter White without Tony Soprano.

Still, Jimmy is right up there. I will genuinely miss watching his shenanigans.

azzah72

Bench
I had similar theories to others with what would happen and they kind of came to be bit done so superbly.

The fact he sauled his way to 7 years and a weekly tub of ice cream only to finally realise he has nothing and wo t change unless he pays for his sins.

It was fantastic.

The scene in the jail with the ciggy and then gives Kim the final finger guns was all just great subtle story telling.

Loved it.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
incredible how much they covered in the final sesson. It just got bleaker and bleaker. Then it ended. Loved the bits with jimmy/sauls lawyer in the finale.

Quasimodo predicted all of this.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
that was awesome

Also, im pretty sure bob turned 60 while shooting the final few episodes or shortly after. He's doing pretty good

Incorrect

Coach
Just finished bingeing the final season. All time #3 for me, behind only The Wire and The Sopranos, and coming in ahead of Breaking Bad. That final season was incredible stuff. The way the back half it was structured especially was a work of art.
I dunno if I put it above BB...but definitely in many ways it was masterful to make yet another brilliant show and work within some of the confines that being a prequel would have presented. Especially when one of the great characters of all time now was borne out of a seemingly throwaway line early Breaking Bad (Lalo)... Brilliant

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I dunno if I put it above BB...but definitely in many ways it was masterful to make yet another brilliant show and work within some of the confines that being a prequel would have presented. Especially when one of the great characters of all time now was borne out of a seemingly throwaway line early Breaking Bad (Lalo)... Brilliant
I put it above BB because they fixed a couple of things that held BB back:

1: the Skylar problem- Skylar wasn’t terrible like people often made out- she was pretty reasonable and normal. But that made her character boring and unlikeable in the context of BB’s drama. Kim on the other hand just had a better story arc of her own.
2: BB at times kept falling back on the same tropes to drive events- Walt and Jesse would pull something super clever and daring off and be all set to make bank- but then Walt’s hubris or Jesse’s appetite for drugs would get them into another pickle. It got a little predictable for a while there. BCS never fell into that sort of a rut.
just a couple of ways I think Gilligan & co managed to fine tune their formula.

Latest posts